If NHL teams wore colorful pants

Buffalo

The way hockey looks on HDTV (great!) teams like to brighten up their jerseys too. The Sabres' royal blue alts looks sharper than the navy blue primaries.

The Winnipeg Jets navy pants look black---the old team had beautiful RED pants. They could at least wear the light-blue or red accent color. I know , I know, hockey pants color is the primary color, but I these Jets look like EVERY OTHER TEAM!

The way hockey looks on HDTV (great!) teams like to brighten up their jerseys too. The Sabres' royal blue alts looks sharper than the navy blue primaries.

The Winnipeg Jets navy pants look black---the old team had beautiful RED pants. They could at least wear the light-blue or red accent color. I know , I know, hockey pants color is the primary color, but I these Jets look like EVERY OTHER TEAM!

Flyers wear black pants with the orange and white jerseys

Phils2.pngPhils_Primary.pngPhils4.pngPhils3.png

Weird topic.

Although, I agree, of course.

I wish all sports uniforms would embrace brighter colors, again. Baseball, especially, is so dreary.

I was watching the Jets-Flyers game and I thought the Jets looked like Columbus in their 3rd unis. Then again the Blue Jackets wear red pants which is cool but their name is blue.

Navy looks like black and so many teams--yes in baseball too--- could pay heed to how gorgeous HD TVs make bright unis, ala the 1960s AFL jerseys, really POP on screen

Weird topic.

Although, I agree, of course.

I wish all sports uniforms would embrace brighter colors, again. Baseball, especially, is so dreary.

I was watching the Jets-Flyers game and I thought the Jets looked like Columbus in their 3rd unis. Then again the Blue Jackets wear red pants which is cool but their name is blue.

Navy looks like black and so many teams--yes in baseball too--- could pay heed to how gorgeous HD TVs make bright unis, ala the 1960s AFL jerseys, really POP on screen

When you get a bunch of teams wearing bright colors on an HD screen, it often doesn't pop in a good way: it winds up looking quite garish. You have to get the right combo of bright colors for it to pop in a good way, and that won't happen most of the time.

It's fine to have a few bright teams in each league. But personally, darker colors with understated designs usually look classy and timeless. Bright colors, when paired with modern or loud designs, can become dated extremely quickly.

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

i have no issue with black pants or navy pants, as long as the jersey has enough color to complement it.

for instance, the flyers in neon orange sweaters and black pants look a whole lot better than they would look in orange pants. and i think that if the stars were to bring back kelly green, as rumors suggest, i think head-to-toe kelly would be a bit too much. kelly green on top of black pants would have just enough contrast to look really sharp.

plus, from a merchandising standpoint, i think using dark subtle colors SOMEWHERE in the uniform allows the team to sell tshirts and hats in that color. allows flyers fans to buy hats that aren't orange, if they're wanting something subtle and fashionable without being too loud. best of both worlds.

But their name is the Columbus Blue JACKETS. As long as their jersey is blue, everything else is fine. Just like how the Red Sox can wear whatever they want as long as they keep the socks...red.

Plus, the red shorts look really sharp. It's a great thing that they have stayed away from the dull and overly repetitive monochrome look since the beginning and it hope it remains that way. It's just too bad that a team with such gorgeous uniforms can't ever win in them.

Always wondered why NHL teams didn't experiment with....alternate pants.

Some teams do.

Who?

The Leafs and Senators come to mind. They have alternate pants shells to wear with their alternate uniforms. The Blackhawks did as well before they dropped their alternate set.

Always wondered why NHL teams didn't experiment with....alternate pants.

Some teams do.

Who?

The Leafs and Senators come to mind. They have alternate pants shells to wear with their alternate uniforms. The Blackhawks did as well before they dropped their alternate set.

Penguins too.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Every team that has an alternate set of pants only wears them with their alternate jersey. I'm hoping we never get to the NFL level where teams are constantly mixing and matching pants with their different jerseys, though I would like to see how the Blue Jackets alternate pants look with their regular home and roads.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived