Reebok's initial ideas for the NHL back in '07

Funky Bunky

I heard that reebok had a bunch of ideas for the NHL back when they were changing to the edge uniforms, but a lot of the ideas were scrapped. (For example, they wanted to have front numbers for every team.)

I'm just interested to hear about the other ideas that they were thinking about going to.

If you can remember any, please tell! :)

They wanted to tuck the jerseys in the shorts.

I've never seen any RBK imagery of the prototypes they wanted to go with, even after all these years. Maybe one day, they'll find their way online so we could all see them.

They wanted to tuck the jerseys in the shorts.

I've never seen any RBK imagery of the prototypes they wanted to go with, even after all these years. Maybe one day, they'll find their way online so we could all see them.

Yup, I remember seeing the Blackhawks mockups. The guys I know said the team never even considered them; they looked like roller-derby gear. Actually, one idea included the knee and elbow pads being on the outside of the jerseys. I also recall the slbow and hem stripes on the Hawks sweater being off. They were either way too thin or way to thick but I don't recall which.

The other one I recall seeing was for the Redwings and they had helmets that looked more futuristic. I guess a bike racing helmet would be the best comparison. The thing I thought was cool about them was that they were had that same coloring pattern as Michigan's football and hockey helmets (in red and white though).

The last one I never saw, but going back to the jerseys being tucked in, I was told that that was why the Maple Leafs stripes disappeared fromt he hem of the jersey - Reebok drew them up to be tucked in but when that idea was nixed they simply untucked them, forgetting to add the stripe back.

The initial ideas I remember hearing were:

- Tucked-in jerseys (which is why you see the split sides and jock tags on replicas - that was initially going to mimic the authentics)

- Elimination of hem striping

- Tighter, form-fitting jerseys

- Mandatory front numbers

From a retail standpoint, there was talk that replica jerseys would only be available in the team color (no road whites,) the front crest would be screened twill, and there would be no shoulder patches.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Wow I guess we should just consider ourselves to be lucky with the changes we got. Some of these changes you guys have mentioned would have been absolutely horrendous. Tucked in form fitting jerseys ehh!

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

I remember that they tried really form-fitting jerseys at a Predators' practice and all of the players looked stupid.

There were also supposed to be 10 overall templates that teams would fill with their own colors and logos, and none of them had traditional horizontal striping.

The Edge jerseys that we ended up getting were futuristic enough to create the retro backlash we're currently experiencing. I can only imagine the original plans would have ousted Reebok from hockey entirely.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I don't know how close it was to the truth, but there was a little bit in Sports Illustrated back in late 2006 or early 2007 that said NHL players might look like skiers on skates for the following season. iirc it mentioned something about tight uniforms with designs on them and futuristic helmets. If I still had my SI magazines from back then I'd go through and find the exact quote.

Uni Watch article from just after the unveiling has some info about stuff that ended up only be rumoured: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/070122

Remember hearing the following rumours on theses boards not long after the lockout concluded... My memory is a little hazy so if anybody can confirm or deny that would be great.

-The Detroit Red Wings were to use Black trim and silver reflective piping.

-Tampa Bay Lightning were to add Red to their colour scheme.

-San Jose Sharks were also going to add red to their scheme.

-The plan for tucked in uniforms was immediately vetoed by the G.M. of the Carolina Hurricanes who didn't want his team to lose their unique hem striping.

The tighter jersey thing survived until the edge jerseys were released. I remember when the Blue Jackets unveiled theirs at the 07 draft they had Jody Shelley and Dan Fritsche wear really tight jerseys. They looked ridiculous.

A lot of players around the league wore tight jerseys to start that year, but eventually everyone just figured out that they could go up a size and look normal again.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Man, let's just be thankful the worst things that happened were the Buffaslugs and the Oilers / Leafs mistakes, all which have been fixed.

I hate this new "tight fitting" trend that has swept the NFL. It making its way to hockey would have been the last straw.

70389454.png

Materials-wise the initial jerseys were almost water proof to help them be faster, but it left everyone's skates and gloves soaked, since the water/sweat had to go somewhere. I think in that first season they changed up the material to soak up more

Man, let's just be thankful the worst things that happened were the Buffaslugs and the Oilers / Leafs mistakes, all which have been fixed.

I hate this new "tight fitting" trend that has swept the NFL. It making its way to hockey would have been the last straw.

Definitely thankful though they were hardly the worst mistakes.

Calgary, Colorado, Dallas and St Louis are still wearing god awful jerseys that should never have seen the light of day in a beer league, let alone the NHL.

Archived