Lafarge's New England Patriots Overhaul

MDGP

Well, seeing as I was voted out of the competition, I figured I'd post my work and get some C+C from everybody.

For this project, I knew I needed a common theme to tie each element together. Being a lifelong Pats fan, I knew exactly what the theme should be: The Patriot Way. For those of you who don't know, the Patriot Way is the idea that when one plays for the Patriots, his individualism and ego will be left at the door. Everything is for the good of the team, and players shut up and get to work... No whining, no antics, no distractions. Players who refuse to subscribe to these methods will earn themselves a one way ticket to free agency (Just ask Albert Haynesworth and Adalius Thomas). The Patriot Way has paved the path to success, establishing the Patriots as one of the premiere teams in the NFL.

On to the concepts:

screenshot20111110at849.png

Primary: For the primary logo, I wanted to bring back Pat Patriot, as from what I've seen and heard, most wish Pat Patriot were still the full time logo. However, the original logo is clearly outdated, and would never work in today's NFL. So, I made some updates. The New Pat Patriot is sleeker, and simpler than the original, most notably in the coat, where excessive details were removed. Pat's sleeves are also rolled up to represent the idea that the Patriots are prepared to "roll up their sleeves" and get to work. Finally, the thing I hated most about the original logo was the goofy grin on Pat's face. Instead, I replaced it with a more determined expression.

Secondary: The secondary logo is a shout out to New England. One of the things that bugs me about most Patriots concepts involving a flag, is that they contain 13 stars. I've always felt that the New England Patriots shouldn't have a logo that represents anything but the six states of the region. So, I made a custom version of the flag of New England. It features six stars, with each one representing Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Vermont, Rhode Island, and Connecticut. The flag is tattered, yet continues to fly. This represents the perseverance of the people of New England, who work their hardest every day to get things done. The tree on the flag is taken from past and current designs of the New England flag.

Wordmark: Simple, yet sleek, the wordmark features a two tone design that is meant to represent speed and swiftness, as seen in the Patriots signature style of play.

screenshot20111110at912.png

Helmet: The helmet simply places the primary logo on the helmet, and retains the silver crown and red facemask.

Jerseys: For the uniforms, I decided to keep a similar look, yet make it more straightforward. The Patriots follow a simple, straightforward system, so their uniforms should portray that. The shoulder stripes were removed and the sleeves now hold the secondary logo. The main jersey features a version of the 1990's striping, with wider stripes. Finally, the numbers are two toned in order to represent a willing to conform to modern methods and styles (ok, in actuality, I couldn't decide between white or silver, so I chose both).

Pants: The pants feature shortened stripes, meant to represent the speed and swiftness of the Patriots brand of offense, which features short yardage passing. The catch and run offense requires quick agile receivers to avoid defenders and gain yardage. The pant stripe is meant to portray and compliment that speed on the field. Pat Patriot is positioned on the right hip.

All right, there you have it... Let's get some C+C on this!

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Secondary is too Buccaneers, especially on the sleeve.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Your concept was my favorite in the competition. Sad to see you lose.

I love everything about it. My only suggestion is, that I would like to see what a navy blue facemask looks instead of the red. I think it might fit better. I have that problem with the Patriots now. I'm just not a fan of the red facemask. It seems out of place and stands out way too much. I also wouldn't mind seeing the silver pants with the white jerseys as well. I like the blue, I just think they could use both.

CHIEFS - BLUE JACKETS - CARDINALS

2 different shades of red look terrible, as does throwing a green tree in there. As someone else said, looks like a copy of the Bucs flag.

The Patriot looks like he's got horse feet and is also leaning funny.

(*)

2ly2w09.jpg

I for one really like the idea of using the flag. I think it works just fine.

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

I like what you've done, but it's already been done, by Logoman, seen here:

IMG REMOVED

And that one is much better.

Great input, dude.

I like these. Well, some of it.

The helmet and jerseys are perfect. Love the sublimated stripes, those late 90's uniforms were and still are my favorite in football. I don't like the Panthers pant strip, doesn't really fit with the fauxback style you have going on here. As others have said, the flag isn't working. I get it, but it just doesn't look right. Besides, I've lived in New England my entire life and have never seen the flag of New England outside of a history book. Not too many people would get the connection. As for Pat, I'd roll the sleeves down (like logoman's) and re-render the football, it's throwing the rest of the logo off IMO.

This is very clean though, good job.

EDIT: Just did a quick search of Flags of New England, and came up with this. Adopted in 1988, never seen it once. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Flag_of_New_England_1988.png

Hmph.

All right, thanks for the C+C guys... From what many of you said, you seemed to like the flag logo itself, but didn't think it fit well with the rest of the set (and was too similar to the Bucs logo). I'm thinking of scrapping the logo as part of this rebrand, and using it for some other concept, maybe a fantasy team.

I also wouldn't mind seeing the silver pants with the white jerseys as well. I like the blue, I just think they could use both.

I actually did try the silver pants for the road, but it just didn't seem to work right. Remember that Canon (I think it was Canon) commercial from awhile back? It had the Patriots in the silver pants with the white jerseys, and it just didn't look right.

Id love to see elvis as a secondary. Seems to fit with the primary. The flag doesn't work for me as well.

I actually made Pat Patriot so I could relegate the flying elvis to secondary status... The only reason I didn't keep it was for the competition. I think I'll definitely go back to it in my revisions.

Red should be the home uni and I'm not a fan of using that flag, too regionally specific. Other than that, a lot of great stuff here.

I'm not a fan of the Patriots wearing red, never have been. I only added it because I know other people would want to see a red one.

I think the blue flag with the six stars is the "official" New England flag.

I actually did realize that when I did research on the flag. The reason I went with the red version without the cross was that I didn't want to just use the real flag and I wanted to come up with something new.

I think that answered pretty much answered everyone's recommendations. I'm gonna get to work on some revisions, but while I am doing that, keep the C+C coming!

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Archived