Greg Halman memorial patch for M's?

The Mojo Maniac

Sad news today: MLB lost one of its own in Greg Halman, an outfielder in the Mariners organization who was stabbed to death by his own brother in his native Netherlands. We are all deeply saddened to hear this news and we keep his family and friends in our thoughts and prayers.

From a baseball aesthetic standpoint, does anybody think that possible plans for the M's will gravitate more toward a memorial patch somewhere on the uni, or more toward having his #56 written in the infield or on the mound, like this?

20110523-Mariners-0022.jpg

I would also like to take this opportunity to encourage discussion about other M's changes (such as the road alt jersey revision or the new BP and alternate caps), provided that we remain respectful of Halman and what he meant to the M's organization. The guy was a class act, and he will be missed.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

The Mariners are wearing a 35th anniversary patch... so there's no room for a memorial patch on the sleeves. Usually a guy who hasn't played so much on a team isn't given the same amount of attention as a regular, so I'm not expecting them to do much if anything at all, maybe an armband.

Joe Kennedy died a few weeks after the end of the 2007 season and the Jays didn't wear anything to honour him the following season, just flashed his picture on the video board on opening day, we'll probably see the same here.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Teams don't seem to be doing armbands anymore, which is a shame, because IMO it's the classiest tribute.

I've posted this before, but I really despise the # patch as a tribute, as IMO it reduces the person to nothing more than a position on a team. It's even sillier when it's a nobody who isn't known as that number. It's a little different when it's a legend or old-timer who's number had been retired, so that the number actually represents the "person" and not just the "player".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Mariners are wearing a 35th anniversary patch... so there's no room for a memorial patch on the sleeves. Usually a guy who hasn't played so much on a team isn't given the same amount of attention as a regular, so I'm not expecting them to do much if anything at all, maybe an armband.

Joe Kennedy died a few weeks after the end of the 2007 season and the Jays didn't wear anything to honour him the following season, just flashed his picture on the video board on opening day, we'll probably see the same here.

I find that slightly odd, because the Mets had a memorial patch on opening day 2001 for Tommie Agee (who, granted, was a Mets legend) and Brian Cole, who, like Halman, was a top prospect at the time of his death who had not yet become a regular at the MLB level. Here is the patch on Tsuyoshi Shinjo's jersey:

4790109483_fb46b5d359_o.png

I am aware that they are already committed to wearing the 35th anniversary patch, so I thought maybe they would consider something like this (albeit a plain black and white one, maybe a tad smaller):

610x.jpg

Whenever a current player dies, their almost assured a memorial patch. I'm not sure about the infield dirt, I think the mound is more likely.

As for the patch, it might just be his initials or his uniform number in black, like what the Twins did with their Harmon Killebrew memorial last season.

EDIT: I do think a black armband would be the classiest way to go here.

spacer.png

I find that slightly odd, because the Mets had a memorial patch on opening day 2001 for Tommie Agee (who, granted, was a Mets legend) and Brian Cole, who, like Halman, was a top prospect at the time of his death who had not yet become a regular at the MLB level. Here is the patch on Tsuyoshi Shinjo's jersey:

4790109483_fb46b5d359_o.png

Let's be honest, Cole was only acknowledged because Agee also died and they couldn't then honour one death and not another... and even then it was only worn for one game.

---

Chris Creamer

Maybe they could do a 'GH 56' in the outfield grass in left field? Does have to be big, and could just be done the way they do the styling for the grass?

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Maybe they could do a 'GH 56' in the outfield grass in left field? Does have to be big, and could just be done the way they do the styling for the grass?

Are we discussion things they *could* do or things they would do?

I'm sticking with moment of silence before the anthem at their home opener and nothing more.

---

Chris Creamer

When the Yankees lost Cory Lidle they wore a black arm band all season. And the angels went way all out to honor nick adenhart. Just saying even if it's not a legendary player teams still find a way to tribute. I'm betting black armband year long.

I too would love to see the black armband, but one reason I think the M's might shy away from it is the fact that the shade of navy they use in their unis is just so dark that many people might not even notice that a black armband is black, not navy.

In 1997 the Mariners wore their 20th Anniversary patch and the Jackie Robinson 50 years patch and didn't have their regular logo patch. There is a precedent. I wouldn't be terrifically surprised if they did not have a patch, but there is a precedent for not wearing the regular logo.

To the point about the field, the Mariners as far as I'm aware have never put a logo on the back of the mound like some other teams, but they have consistently written in the dirt out behind second base, "My Oh My," "Thanks," and they also put "24" back there on the day Griffey abruptly retired.

Every Fifth Day is a

HappyFelixDay.gif

When the Yankees lost Cory Lidle they wore a black arm band all season. And the angels went way all out to honor nick adenhart. Just saying even if it's not a legendary player teams still find a way to tribute. I'm betting black armband year long.

Yes, it happens sometimes, but as I said "Usually" it doesn't.

---

Chris Creamer

Archived