Flag logos

WindyCitySports

Probably the only team to do so in any sport, the Calgary Flames wear both the Canadian flag and the Alberta flag as shoulder patches. I personally believe it makes the jersey look too busy and the blue Alberta flag doesn't go well with the overall Flames colour scheme like the worst in NHL history, beating Wild Wing crashing through the ice.

Fixed

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably the only team to do so in any sport, the Calgary Flames wear both the Canadian flag and the Alberta flag as shoulder patches. I personally believe it makes the jersey look too busy and the blue Alberta flag doesn't go well with the overall Flames colour scheme. Does anyone know if other teams have used both national and province/state/city flags as shoulder patches, in hockey or elsewhere?

Flames' flags in question...

Left Sleeve:

CalgaryFlames_ADM1a_2008-9999_SCC_SRGB.png

Right Sleeve:

CalgaryFlames_ADM2a_2008-9999_SCC_SRGB.png

Probably the only team to do so in any sport, the Calgary Flames wear both the Canadian flag and the Alberta flag as shoulder patches. I personally believe it makes the jersey look too busy and the blue Alberta flag doesn't go well with the overall Flames colour scheme. Does anyone know if other teams have used both national and province/state/city flags as shoulder patches, in hockey or elsewhere?

Flames' flags in question...

Left Sleeve:

CalgaryFlames_ADM1a_2008-9999_SCC_SRGB.png

Right Sleeve:

It Burns!

Never understood why the Canadian Flag has a white outline yet the Blue "Clash Patch" doesn't get the same treatment when it clearly needs it on the Red jersey. Overall these have to be the most tacky, lazy excuses for secondary logos ever worn on an NHL jersey.

Unpopular opinion, maybe, but I like the two flags on Calgary's jerseys. *shrug*

I would hate it if my beloved Leafs went out there with that concept. Two predominantly red flags on a beautiful blue jersey would look aweful. Same goes for the Habs, the blue Quebec flag would look very tacky on there. Why not put the city flag on the back just below the Reebok neck logo while you're at it?

5737a3a4-1de5-426d-a5eb-067469bdd6e3.jpg

Unpopular opinion, maybe, but I like the two flags on Calgary's jerseys. *shrug*

I would hate it if my beloved Leafs went out there with that concept. Two predominantly red flags on a beautiful blue jersey would look aweful. Same goes for the Habs, the blue Quebec flag would look very tacky on there. Why not put the city flag on the back just below the Reebok neck logo while you're at it?

The Leafs doing it would be absurd and idiotic, I agree. The difference there is that the Leafs have traditional precedent to keep their jerseys the way they are, and both the Canadian and Ontarian flags are predominantly red.

I like it on Calgary. However, I would like it more if Calgary went to an upgrade of their 1980s jerseys, with respect. I am far from being a Flames fan, though.

CCLSCsig-1.jpg

Uniform tracker - 2011 version coming soon...

The Leafs doing it would be absurd and idiotic, I agree. The difference there is that the Leafs have traditional precedent to keep their jerseys the way they are, and both the Canadian and Ontarian flags are predominantly red.

I like it on Calgary. However, I would like it more if Calgary went to an upgrade of their 1980s jerseys, with respect. I am far from being a Flames fan, though.

Agreed!

5737a3a4-1de5-426d-a5eb-067469bdd6e3.jpg

The flag of the city of Denver, Colorado:

DenverCO.gif

The Colorado Avalanche's original uniforms:

4733.gif

MIND...BLOWN.

I never picked up on that before, but now that I see it, I can't unsee it.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Probably the only team to do so in any sport, the Calgary Flames wear both the Canadian flag and the Alberta flag as shoulder patches. I personally believe it makes the jersey look too busy and the blue Alberta flag doesn't go well with the overall Flames colour scheme like the worst in NHL history, beating Wild Wing crashing through the ice.

Not to mention that the Flames are neither Canada's nor Alberta's team, so placing the flags on the uniform is rather stupid.

~~~~

I never realized just how busy the Alberta provincial flag is. It makes the whole Flames situation so much worse.

spacer.png

Nobody has mentioned this yet...

37.gif

The Carolina Hurricanes using the flag for tropic storm warning... :blink:

The U has used the same flag

Miami67.jpg

Hopefully they call themselves the Hurricanes and not the Tropical Storms...

Can't say I'm 100% sure about this, but IIRC, one flag is for a tropical storm, two is for a hurricane.

Nobody has mentioned this yet...

37.gif

The Carolina Hurricanes using the flag for tropic storm warning... :blink:

The U has used the same flag

Miami67.jpg

Hopefully they call themselves the Hurricanes and not the Tropical Storms...

Can't say I'm 100% sure about this, but IIRC, one flag is for a tropical storm, two is for a hurricane.

It is. Which is why it's why Carolina using one flag is funny, and ironic if the above football helmet (presumably some American University team I'm unfamiliar with) represents a team called the Tropical Storms... ^_^

tigercatssignature-1.png

That helmet is an actual former helmet of the Miami Hurricanes, used from 1968-1970, if that helps you out any.

EDIT: visual (warning--ginormous graphic:)

Miami.jpg

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived