Astros' and Padres' Unis

rebelx

It's just a vocal minority that want the brown back. Kind of like how in the late '60s (coincidentally when the Padres started), the hippies got all the media attention, so it seemed like they made up the majority of the population, but in reality the vast majority of people were fairly conservative, well-dressed and well mannered. The Padres fans that want the brown back are like the hippies and the rest of us are the silent, conservative majority.

I'm not even sure that you're wrong, but just reading that, it sounds like one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. I have NO IDEA how "hippies" entered this conversation. Hilarious.

By the way, in true "hippy" fashion, I don't trust ownership for a second when they say what the fans want. They have a navy agenda, and that's all that really matters. Now they can sell a lot of boring navy gear to the Nixon supporters, and brown and gold to the radical lefties. IT'S THE MAN TRYING TO HOLD US DOWN, BROTHER!! STAY GROOVY!! :grin:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's just a vocal minority that want the brown back. Kind of like how in the late '60s (coincidentally when the Padres started), the hippies got all the media attention, so it seemed like they made up the majority of the population, but in reality the vast majority of people were fairly conservative, well-dressed and well mannered. The Padres fans that want the brown back are like the hippies and the rest of us are the silent, conservative majority.

I'm not even sure that you're wrong, but just reading that, it sounds like one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. I have NO IDEA how "hippies" entered this conversation. Hilarious.

By the way, in true "hippy" fashion, I don't trust ownership for a second when they say what the fans want. They have a navy agenda, and that's all that really matters. Now they can sell a lot of boring navy gear to the Nixon supporters, and brown and gold to the radical lefties. IT'S THE MAN TRYING TO HOLD US DOWN, BROTHER!! STAY GROOVY!! :grin:

Never thought I'd say this in my life, but I'm proud to be a radical lefty!

This:

Templeton.jpg

is much more iconic and interesting (and just screams SAN DIEGO) more than this:

Padre-new-uniforms.jpg

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

This:

Templeton.jpg

is much more iconic and interesting (and just screams SAN DIEGO) more than this:

Padre-new-uniforms.jpg

Well your partially right. Brown and gold is better than the new stuff, but that brown/gold/orange junk is NOT an improvement.

This:

Templeton.jpg

Padre-new-uniforms.jpg

Well your partially right. Brown and gold is better than the new stuff, but that brown/gold/orange junk is NOT an improvement.

Right -- if you take the orange away from this uniform, you'd have a winner:

mlb_g_gossage2_sw_sq_600.jpg

The wordmark and the cap logo are better than anything the team has had since. Also, yellow sanis / brown stirrups combo is gorgeous. (Too bad the ballplayers nowadays no longer know how to wear baseball pants! If only there were some NFL-style enforcement of that particular aspect of the uniform.)

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

This:

Templeton.jpg

Padre-new-uniforms.jpg

The wordmark and the cap logo are better than anything the team has had since. Also, yellow sanis / brown stirrups combo is gorgeous. (Too bad the ballplayers nowadays no longer know how to wear baseball pants! If only there were some NFL-style enforcement of that particular aspect of the uniform.)

Nope. Still 70's dated crap. Go back to the original brown and gold's and you'd have a winner.

See, I've had this one idea for the Padres cooking in my head for the longest time...a color combo none of y'all have ever seen anywhere, ever (unless you bought the same bathroom suite from Wal-Mart that I did :P)--I just can't figure out how to execute the scripts, or fit the rest of the pieces together. Additionally, thanks to a suggestion over in the Astros dedicated thread, I've also been brainstorming a redux for that Astros concept set I posted in there, which also includes an as-yet-unseen-in-major-pro-sports color scheme.

(The problem is I gotta get off the road long enough to see if I can make all of this work on screen.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

This:

Templeton.jpg

Padre-new-uniforms.jpg

Nope. Still 70's dated crap. Go back to the original brown and gold's and you'd have a winner.

Again with that meaningless refrain. There should be a moratorium on that content-less word. Absolutely every design will be called "dated" by someone; this critique means nothing.

The 49ers introduced their one-day logo because someone applied that nonsense critique to their existing logo. Thankfully, good sense prevailed in that case. We weren't so lucky in 1985 when the Padres threw away this wordmark that had been their calling card for a decade, nor when the Blue Jays dumped their classic mark. The Blue Jays wised up (the new mark is not exactly the old one, of course; but it is close enough to invoke its feel). Maybe the Padres will wake up one day, and reclaim this beautiful wordmark.

As it happens, I also like the 1970 uniforms, especially the road jersey:

robertopena-card-1.jpg

Cito-Gaston-a.jpg

This set would also be superior to anything they've had since 1985. But that "Padres" wordmark in the 1984 shots of Templeton and the Goose is still the best in their history.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

That taco mark is the most obvious and dated (logical term for sports identities, don't like it, deal with it) 70's/80's wordmark. It does NOT transcend past the those two decades. You look at it, and you immediately know when it was originated and know it doesn't fit in any other time period. Also known as "dated".

I think brown and a beige-ish color would look great and classy imo. I just don't like brown and yellow/orange though. It makes me think of a 70's taco chain or something.

It looks just like the "retro" bag of Doritos I just saw at the grocery store. And that's not a good thing. That said I'd be ok with a brown themed jersey being our Alt 1 or Alt 2 jersey along with or in place of the blue alternate complimenting the current home, away and military duds. But I don't want blue replaced overall. It's as much the team's color now as brown ever was.

I'm not even sure that you're wrong, but just reading that, it sounds like one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. I have NO IDEA how "hippies" entered this conversation.

Hilarious.

By the way, in true "hippy" fashion, I don't trust ownership for a second when they say what the fans want. They

have a navy agenda, and that's all that really matters. Now they can sell a lot of boring navy gear to the Nixon supporters, and brown and gold to the radical lefties. IT'S THE MAN TRYING TO HOLD US DOWN, BROTHER!! STAY GROOVY!! :grin:

Haha I was just making an analogy.

Bad example, since "the hippies" turned out to be on the right side of history... :P

Bad example, since "the hippies" turned out to be on the right side of history... :P

You are partially correct, but only because a great deal of history taught in our colleges is biased half-stories to push agendas. They were on the right side of the history my professors preached, but I was smart enough to read past it.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Heard that every Friday home game this year the Astros will wear a throwback uniform

Correct. It will be similar to what the Angels did this past year, except the 'Stros will keep it to one uniform per month. They will wear the Colt .45s unis on Friday home games in April, original '60s Astros set in May, rainbow guts/tequila sunrise in June, racing striped rainbow-sleeves in July, navy and gold '90s set in August, and the current set in September.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

But I don't want blue replaced overall. It's as much the team's color now as brown ever was.

That's not really true.

Nobody thinks of the Padres when they think of blue. They've completely become irrelevant, beyond just being bad baseball most years, they're also completely forgettable when it comes to identity. If you asked most people for blue team's in the NL West, the Padres would probably be the third team named... despite the fact only two teams in the NL West wear blue.

But I don't want blue replaced overall. It's as much the team's color now as brown ever was.

That's not really true.

Nobody thinks of the Padres when they think of blue. They've completely become irrelevant, beyond just being bad baseball most years, they're also completely forgettable when it comes to identity. If you asked most people for blue team's in the NL West, the Padres would probably be the third team named... despite the fact only two teams in the NL West wear blue.

Funny but not accurate on either count. First they've been wearing blue for 20 years and have gone to a WS, and won the west 4x in that span all while wearing blue. They've played much better baseball while being "forgettable" IYO. And as for being forgettable, who cares if some people nationally can't name them. Their not the ones watching the team, or buying their gear. As long as Padres fans like the blue it's going to be the team's color.

Archived