Sodboy13

Toledo Walleye (ECHL) unveil new alternate

Debuting on-ice Saturday:

walleye.jpg

Double-blue. Roundel. Two of the more overdone trends in hockey in recent years. And yet, I WANT IT. Sometimes, things are just done right, and this feels like one of those cases.

walleye.jpg

Double-blue. Roundel. Two of the more overdone trends in hockey in recent years. And yet, I WANT IT. Sometimes, things are just done right, and this feels like one of those cases.

The Walleye already used double blue, so we'll give them a pass. Please take the fish out of the roundel and make it the primary already!

Their regular jersey for comparison:

toledo-walleye-echl-authentic-replica-hockey-jersey-nwt-mens-xl-52_180728854150.jpg

That new roundel is a MUCH better logo than the minor league-ish crap they used on the light blue uni.

the realistic walleye on the alt was sort of a runner-up to the cartoony logo originally. glad they're using it in some way, i like it much better.

i know roundels are redudant, but i think the jersey looks sharp.

The ECHL has gone to Reebok Gamewear jerseys?

the realistic walleye on the alt was sort of a runner-up to the cartoony logo originally. glad they're using it in some way, i like it much better.

Here was the original mark that was discarded:

ToledoWalleye_UPM1a_2010_SCC_SRGB.png

That Walleye looks so much better without the wordmark slapped across the front.

If I had cash to drop, I'd own a gamer of ever jersey in the set. Things of beauty.

Love this... This is how an alternate jersey should look.

Here was the original mark that was discarded:

ToledoWalleye_UPM1a_2010_SCC_SRGB.png

Quite a shame, that is a beaut.

I really like this uniform as well.

Goes without saying the Walleye generally do things well from a branding perspective. Further goes without saying that is in large part because ( like the Mudhens) they trusted the venerable Dan Simon with the work. He's amazing.

But with that said, every time I see this I think of opportunity lost. For all we bemoan over-aggressive illustration and iris-less demon eyes in logos? Here's a subject matter crying out for it. Look up a photo of a walleye. Very visible long sharp teeth. And milky cataract eyes that evoke something almost prehistoric.

I love this logo set. But it doesn't say "walleye" to me. And I dont hold Dan responsible for that. I'm sure the team wanted family-friendly over all else.

Cool third though. Maybe ill pick one up next time I'm downtown.