New Minnesota Golden Gophers Helmet/Uniform

stumpygremlin

i like it a lot. would also rather see a maroon face mask, but because the helmet is matte, black was the way to go. i wouldnt like the look of gloss maroon on matte maroon.

Might this be the only reason Nike went with a black face mask?

I assume that the face mask isn't painted with a matte finish, so is it possible that a matte maroon helmet would clash with the non-matte maroon face mask?

Eh, Baylor has a new matte green helmet with a shiny green facemask.

Facemasks aren't super shiny to begin with. I don't think it would have been that big a deal to go with maroon.

It woudn't have been a big deal, but I think the black compliments the Maroon more. It makes it "pop" so to speak. I higly doubt we'll see a black alt though.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i like it a lot. would also rather see a maroon face mask, but because the helmet is matte, black was the way to go. i wouldnt like the look of gloss maroon on matte maroon.

I assume that the face mask isn't painted with a matte finish, so is it possible that a matte maroon helmet would clash with the non-matte maroon face mask?

Facemasks aren't super shiny to begin with. I don't think it would have been that big a deal to go with maroon.

It woudn't have been a big deal, but I think the black compliments the Maroon more. It makes it "pop" so to speak. I higly doubt we'll see a black alt though.

If there had been a black outline on the M like they did in the late 1990s/early 2000s, I'd agree, but as is, the black facemask doesn't look as good as a maroon one would have. I can't stand that double outline helmet logo more than anything.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

So we don't have to open the link:

7274482.jpeg

I'm assuming nike is going to recycle the asu look from last year, make a few tweaks and call it a day...how original.

How can you "assume" that when no one has even seen them yet? Did ASU have matte helmets last year? NO. Did have black facemasks last year? NO. Did they have maroon helmets last year? NO.

BFBS

Bitching For Bitching Sake

If there had been a black outline on the M like they did in the late 1990s/early 2000s, I'd agree, but as is, the black facemask doesn't look as good as a maroon one would have. I can't stand that double outline helmet logo more than anything.

I agree. It doesn't bother me as much as it does you, but a black out line would've been much better.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

7274482.jpeg

I'm assuming nike is going to recycle the asu look from last year, make a few tweaks and call it a day...how original.

How can you "assume" that when no one has even seen them yet? Did ASU have matte helmets last year? NO. Did have black facemasks last year? NO. Did they have maroon helmets last year? NO.

BFBS

Matte helmet: i.jpg

Maroon helmet: i-1.jpg

someone wasn't paying attention this year......

camnewton2.jpg

Auburn University Alum

7274482.jpeg

BFBS

Before anyone tries to be a douche and ruin this rant, ASU's maroon helmets didn't debut with the uniforms

7274482.jpeg

BFBS

Matte helmet: i.jpg

Maroon helmet: i-1.jpg

someone wasn't paying attention this year......

Last season they wore this:

ASU-Football.jpg

No maroon helmet, no matte, no black facemask

The pictures you posted were from this season

You missed the point completely vmd. Which was that the new Minnesota helmets seem to indicate that the new Minnesota look will be a retread of the new ASU look.

Since the regular season is over people can get away with calling the new ASU look "last year's look."

You missed the point completely vmd. Which was that the new Minnesota helmets seem to indicate that the new Minnesota look will be a retread of the new ASU look.

Since the regular season is over people can get away with calling the new ASU look "last year's look."

So this years bowl games will count for the teams records next year?

regardless, Minnesota has been wearing maroon helmets since the 70s. Now just because they changed the facemask, people are claiming Nike is unoriginal and just copying ASU's look? Even after NO ONE has posted a photo of the new uniforms.

It's not just the facemask. It's the matte look as well.

Why not say they are copying Mississippi State then? A lot of teams are wearing matte paint this season.

But really look at how many teams there are in NCAA and look at Minnesota's options:

Maroon/maroon - copy ASU

Maroon/white - copy MSU

Maroon/Grey - copy USC

Maroon/Gold - copy Redskins

Matte paint - copying Oregon, ASU, Southern Miss, Rutgers, Mississippi State, etc

Flake paint - copying VT, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Akron, etc

No matter what they do, people here would call it copying. What do you want from them?

I'm not saying they're doing anything one way or another. I'm just explaining to you why some people see this as a potential rehash of ASU's look. Same manufacturer, same colours, same style elements, and, if the latest round of Pro Combat sets are any indication, Nike's running on fumes creatively.

Now I have a question. Do you work for or with Nike? I'm honestly curious, I'm not trying to be snarky. It seems you take it kind of personally when someone states they dislike something about how they go about their uniform designs.

7274482.jpeg

BFBS

vmd, how much does Nike pay you to defend them so whole hearteldly?

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

I'm not saying they're doing anything one way or another. I'm just explaining to you why some people see this as a potential rehash of ASU's look. Same manufacturer, same colours, same style elements, and, if the latest round of Pro Combat sets are any indication, Nike's running on fumes creatively.

Now I have a question. Do you work for or with Nike? I'm honestly curious, I'm not trying to be snarky. It seems you take it kind of personally when someone states they dislike something about how they go about their uniform designs.

Then I'd hate to see what you think about all the other mfgs, since all they do is copy what Nike does (logos on gloves, patterns on numbers, special uniform templates, designs on socks, stripes that don't go all the way, matter helemts, numbers/logos on undershirt sleeves, etc..).

Then I'd hate to see what you think about all the other mfgs, since all they do is copy what Nike does (logos on gloves, special uniform templates, designs on socks, stripes that don't go all the way, matter helemts, numbers/logos on undershirt sleeves, etc..).

+1. Nike is an innovator, and the other manufacturers (for the most part) are trying to play catch up.

Whether you like it or not, they are an amazing marketing machine that makes big bucks for the universities they work with-- you can ask ASU about that. Merch sales went through the roof this year with the new logo/look. If you're a big school in a huge market, why not let them give your program a refresh to drum up interest? It was applicable in Tempe, and it certainly is in MSP as well.

I really don't understand the vitriol towards Nike and their uniforms, branding, marketing, etc. Because it's a new idea, it's immediately labeled as "bad", or "oh no, [insert school here] is turning into Oregon." But I digress.

It's hard to avoid the 'ASU look' when it's the same team colors essentially. Honestly, I doubt they'll be even remotely similar. The helmet itself is pretty different, anyway. I don't hear people saying that (based solely on a helmet) ND, BC, Army, and Navy are practically "the same." It makes no sense to me why someone would use this color scheme/look as a knock against Nike for copying ASU's new look.

FWIW, I think that black facemask makes the maroon pop a little better than a maroon facemask would. On the field, though, we'll probably hardly notice a difference.

Then I'd hate to see what you think about all the other mfgs, since all they do is copy what Nike does (logos on gloves, special uniform templates, designs on socks, stripes that don't go all the way, matter helemts, numbers/logos on undershirt sleeves, etc..).

THIS.

Archived