Weird or Obscure NFL Rules

BlueSky

The NFL rule book is available on NFL.com (scroll to bottom of page) and is pretty entertaining. While looking through it, I ran across this surprising item in a list of prohibitions:

===

Items Colored Like Football

(g) Headgear or any other equipment or apparel which, in the opinion of the Referee, may confuse an

opponent because of its similarity in color to that of the game football. If such color is worn, it must be

broken by stripes or other patterns of sharply contrasting color or colors.

===

My first thought was those Packers throwback helmets, but they're quite a bit darker than the ball. Still, seems like an odd rule given that most leather helmets surely resembled the ball?

They should call this one the Rollerball rule:

===

Projecting Objects

(a) Metal or other hard objects that project from a player?s person or uniform, including from his shoes.

===

Here's the rule several Saints players ran afoul of when they wore red and green tape on MNF vs. Atlanta. Supposedly the league rep, a Mr. Grinch, called the Saints at halftime and said the players involved had to stay on the sideline unless they removed the tape. Off it came.

===

Improper Tape

Opaque, contrasting-color tape that covers any part of the helmet, jersey, pants, stockings, or shoes;

transparent tape or tape of the same color as the background material is permissible for use on these

items of apparel.

===

Other things I never knew: the official name for where a team has to get to for a first down: the "necessary line." :wacko:

And that a "running play" doesn't have to be from scrimmage. While it's obvious that anybody running with the ball is a runner (duh), a running play occurs any time a player advances the ball regardless of how they get it. They give the following example:

===

A.R. 3.17 Receiving team player B1 catches a kickoff, advances, and fumbles. Kicking team player A2 recovers and

advances. Ruling: While runners B1 and A2 were in possession, there were two running plays during the same down.

===

For everyone who asks every time a Reggie asks for his college number that's outside the NFL numbering rules, here they are. The surprise was in the final paragraph...didn't know NFL teams could have dupe numbers in the preseason.

===

PLAYERS NUMBERED BY POSITION

All players must wear numerals on their jerseys in accordance with Rule 5, Section 4, Article 3©.

Such numerals must be by playing position, as follows:

- quarterbacks, punters, and placekickers: 1-19;

- running backs and defensive backs: 20-49;

- offensive guards and tackles: 60-79;

- wide receivers: 10-19 and 80-89;

- tight ends: 80-89;

If a player changes his position during his playing career in the NFL, and such change moves him from a

position as an ineligible pass receiver to that of an eligible pass receiver, or from a position as an eligible

pass receiver to that of an ineligible pass receiver, he must be issued an appropriate new jersey numeral.

A change in jersey numeral is not required if the change is from an ineligible position to another ineligible

position, or from an eligible position to another eligible position, provided that the player has participated at

least one season at his position prior to the change.

Any request to wear a numeral for a special position not specified above (e.g., H-back) must be made to the

Commissioner.

During the preseason period when playing rosters are larger, the League will allow duplication and other

temporary deviations from the numbering scheme specified above, but the rule must be adhered to for all

players during the regular season and postseason. Clubs must make numerals available to adhere to the

rule, even if it requires returning to circulation a numeral that has been retired or withheld for other reasons.

See 5-3-1 for reporting a change of position.

===

Rule 5, Section 4 covers all the uni requirements. Who knew transparent facemasks were prohibited, or that letters in NOBs only have to be 2.5 inches high?

What I couldn't find was the definition of forward progress. I was wondering about the Drew Brees 4th down "leap and extend" play, which makes sense on the goal line (just needs to break the plane) but how did they give him two yards of forward progress when he pulled the ball back in voluntarily?

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

All players must wear numerals on their jerseys in accordance with Rule 5, Section 4, Article 3©.

They left out linebackers and centers. Linebackers 50-59/90-99, centers/longsnappers 50-79 (I assume that's how it would go). Linebackers have from time to time worn #'s in the 60's but, per those rules and my poor memory, are all preseason exceptions. I'm not 100% on these obviously.

How did a player like Dallas Clark get to keep #44? Was he drafted as a fullback and grandfathered the number into his new position? Ala how Hester's allowed to wear 23?

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Don't forget about the obscure fair catch kick rule...

I think Hester is listed as a CB

http://whosbestnbateam.blogspot.com/

On the hill we view the silence of the valley, Called to witness cycles only of the past, And we reach all this with movements in between the said remark

Close to the edge, down by the river, Down at the end, round by the corner

Seasons will pass you by, Now that it's all over and done, called to the seed, right to the sun, Now that you find now that you're whole

Seasons will pass you by, I get up, I get down -Yes

How did a player like Dallas Clark get to keep #44? Was he drafted as a fullback and grandfathered the number into his new position? Ala how Hester's allowed to wear 23?

I think Hester is listed as a CB

If a player changes his position during his playing career in the NFL, and such change moves him from a

position as an ineligible pass receiver to that of an eligible pass receiver, or from a position as an eligible

pass receiver to that of an ineligible pass receiver, he must be issued an appropriate new jersey numeral.

A change in jersey numeral is not required if the change is from an ineligible position to another ineligible

position, or from an eligible position to another eligible position, provided that the player has participated at

least one season at his position prior to the change.

Clark's number from being the H-Back still leaves him as an eligible receiver, so he didn't need to change his number, same with Hester as a CB, so even though they changed positions, their numbers are fine.

They left out linebackers and centers. Linebackers 50-59/90-99, centers/longsnappers 50-79 (I assume that's how it would go). Linebackers have from time to time worn #'s in the 60's but, per those rules and my poor memory, are all preseason exceptions. I'm not 100% on these obviously.

They also left out defensive lineman.

Also, I believe centers aren't allowed to wear numbers in the 70's.

I kind of figured that was the case, thanks for clarifying.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

My brother played QB in high school and college wearing #25

I'd love to see someone go behind center wearing #49. Tebow would be a perfect candidate.

LehQRaC.png

Offensive linemen move around so much on the line that there is no regulations regarding their numbers. 50-79. It's not uncommon to see centers in the 70s, though traditionally they're in the 50s, with guards in the 60s, and tackles in the 70s. I kind of think that more centers are in the 60s these days, as they're also typically guards.

Also, duplication is very common in the preseason. The surprising thing here is the rule requiring teams to unretire numbers if they can't meet the rules. I know this preseason the Eagles gave Ronnie Brown #36, which isn't retired, but out of circulation. They said that they had to and that he'd switch after final cuts. Guess that's why.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Can someone explain the "10 second runoff" rule?

It's basically so that you don't intentionally commit a minor penalty in order to get the clock to stop. I don't know the exact rule, but basically if you're behind and driving down the field at the end of the game and commit a penalty (like a false start for example), you either get charged a time out or get a 10-second run off. Chances are that you won't have any time outs, so you lose time in your effort to come back. Otherwise, teams would just have guys jump offsides because 5 yards is pretty meaningless compared to the benefit of an extra time out.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Here is my interpretation of the NCAA rule about the 10-second runoff (which is similar to the NFL's, and which BBTV described somewhat):

1. First, it has to be a scrimmage play, and the ball has not been snapped yet.

2. The game clock has to be running, and under 1:00 left in the first or second half (or overtime).

3. Neither team can cause a penalty to stop the clock, whether it's a false start or offsides.

4. If either infraction occurs, and stops the clock, the game clock will be wound down an additional 10 seconds. At that point, the game clock will resume on the referee's whistle, unless it ends the period by rule (like less than 10 seconds on the clock).

5. The offending team must call a timeout to avoid the 10-second runoff (but may still have the yardage of the penalty enforced).

6. If the offending team has no remaining timeouts, the other team has a few options...they may accept the time runoff and the yardage penalty, the yardage penalty alone, or decline everything (if that team is losing, they may not want the clock to be running).

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

A couple of weird rules regarding fair catches -- I don't know if they're weird but at least one of them isn't called a whole lot. Once a players calls for a fair catch, if he attempts to advance the ball upon catching it, it's a five yard penalty for Delay of Game. Once a player calls for a fair catch, if he opts not to catch the ball and attempts to engage an opposing player in a block, it's a 15 yard penalty.

IUe6Hvh.png

Right. A player giving a fair catch and blocking someone else is given a personal foul, because it's sort of a cheap shot. He gives up, then goes to hit/block a gunner who is probably slowing down and taking himself out of the play because of the fair catch signal.

It's also a penalty if one person gives a fair catch signal and a teammate catches the kick and attempts to return it.

The 15-yarder was called recently, I think it was within the last 2 or 3 weeks of the regular season.

My brother played QB in high school and college wearing #25

I'd love to see someone go behind center wearing #49. Tebow would be a perfect candidate.

The High School and College games aren't very strict about numbers.

Massachusetts (and Texas too, I think) follows NCAA rules for high school football. The numbering system is strict, but the game officials are allowed to be a bit lenient for two-way players, and at the JV level. The rule is also waived if a player needs to replace a jersey due to rips/tears or blood and there aren't appropriate numbers available.

The rule is there to help determine blocking rules (clipping zone/below the waist) and eligibility to catch passes as well.

Archived