CFB Playoffs?

Funky Bunky

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before conference re alignment went all ape ___, my model was 12 teams 8 AQ 4 BCS At large 4 campus games 6 bowl site games 1 national title game site which can only hold the game once every 6 years and follow guidelines as the Super Bowl sites. 4 weeks to complete, conference title important, winning in regular season important for bcs standing just in case you don't win conf, big conf schools get byes, small conf schools get home game and chance for title, 4 teams get wild card chance, we as fans get more meaningful football games with great matchup opportunities during December!!!

South: cusa (campus home site) vs bcs at large, big XII champ bye

Winner vs big XII champ in cotton bowl for south region title

West: MW (campus home site) vs bcs at large, PAC 12 bye

Winner vs PAC 12 champ in rose bowl for west title

South winner vs west winner in fiesta bowl, winner to national championship.

North: big east (campus home site) vs bcs at large, B1G bye

Winner vs big ten champ in motor city bowl, winner is north region champ and plays east region champ

East: ACC (campus home game) vs bcs at large, sec bye

Winner vs sec champ in chick fil a bowl, winner is east region champ to play north region champ

North vs east in music city bowl winner goes to national championship game

North/east vs south/west

National championship game in reliant stadium

First two rounds kick off times cst 10, 1, 4, 7

I'm going to bump this thread becuase it is postseason time in College Football now! However, we can all agree that the current postseason format stinks and the new one won't be much better. In addition to new members posting their proposals, old members who posted on this thread last year can modify their playoffs to fit this year's teams. Here is mine:

A) I started with the belief that the three conferences with TV networks will become far more powerful and wealthy than the rest. Instead of a conference championship game, the Pac12, Big Ten and SEC will host a conference playoff. The conference playoff committee has to invite all deserving teams within the conference (top 16) and if any slots are left, the playoff committees can invite at-large teams. These selections will take place after the last weekend of November.

B) The ACC will keep their conference championship and Big XII will also gain a championship by expanding to 12 teams (just go with it). Those Championships will take place first week of December and the winners will play in Miami or Dallas the next week.

C) The other three conference playoffs will have Semifinals on the first week of December and the Finals on the next weekend.

D) National Semifinals take place on New Years Day and the Finals take place seven days later. Semifinals are hosted by the Rose and Sugar Bowls.

Here's how it looks this year:

SEC Playoff-Atlanta

Alabama

LSU

Georgia

Florida

ACC Championship/Big XII Championship-Miami/Dallas

Florida State

Georgia Tech

Kansas State

Oklahoma

Big Ten Playoff-Indianapolis

Notre Dame*

Michigan

Nebraska

Texas A&M

Pac 12 Playoff-Glendale

Oregon

UCLA

Stanford

Oregon State

Just stop. Stop here and on the realignment thread.

Your poor logistics aside, for purposes of this thread:

A. Only the Big Ten and Pac-12 physically have and operate networks. The "SEC Network" is an ESPN creation to syndicate both football and basketball and it took the package which was formerly owned by a company called Raycom. The ACC has a similar syndication agreement with Raycom for their "ACC Network".

Your "system" also places a conference winner sometimes in triple jeopardy if they have to have a semi-final game to advance.

B. The ACC and Big XII teams are allowed to have a week of lesser competition.

C. Did you ever factor in that universities have exams?

D. If New Year's Day is on a Sunday, the Tournament of Roses does not have the parade or plays the game. What would you do?

I'm going to bump this thread becuase it is postseason time in College Football now! However, we can all agree that the current postseason format stinks and the new one won't be much better. In addition to new members posting their proposals, old members who posted on this thread last year can modify their playoffs to fit this year's teams. Here is mine:

A) I started with the belief that the three conferences with TV networks will become far more powerful and wealthy than the rest. Instead of a conference championship game, the Pac12, Big Ten and SEC will host a conference playoff. The conference playoff committee has to invite all deserving teams within the conference (top 16) and if any slots are left, the playoff committees can invite at-large teams. These selections will take place after the last weekend of November.

B) The ACC will keep their conference championship and Big XII will also gain a championship by expanding to 12 teams (just go with it). Those Championships will take place first week of December and the winners will play in Miami or Dallas the next week.

C) The other three conference playoffs will have Semifinals on the first week of December and the Finals on the next weekend.

D) National Semifinals take place on New Years Day and the Finals take place seven days later. Semifinals are hosted by the Rose and Sugar Bowls.

Here's how it looks this year:

SEC Playoff-Atlanta

Alabama

LSU

Georgia

Florida

ACC Championship/Big XII Championship-Miami/Dallas

Florida State

Georgia Tech

Kansas State

Oklahoma

Big Ten Playoff-Indianapolis

Notre Dame*

Michigan

Nebraska

Texas A&M

Pac 12 Playoff-Glendale

Oregon

UCLA

Stanford

Oregon State

Just stop. Stop here and on the realignment thread.

Your poor logistics aside, for purposes of this thread:

A. Only the Big Ten and Pac-12 physically have and operate networks. The "SEC Network" is an ESPN creation to syndicate both football and basketball and it took the package which was formerly owned by a company called Raycom. The ACC has a similar syndication agreement with Raycom for their "ACC Network".

Your "system" also places a conference winner sometimes in triple jeopardy if they have to have a semi-final game to advance.

B. The ACC and Big XII teams are allowed to have a week of lesser competition.

C. Did you ever factor in that universities have exams?

D. If New Year's Day is on a Sunday, the Tournament of Roses does not have the parade or plays the game. What would you do?

Hey, it's not perfect (according to you it sucks and you might not even agree with this) but, it's better than the BCS! And ok, I'll stop asking stupid questions and putting forth my poor logistics here. I actually am sorry. I never wanted to be one of those people around here who isn't liked.

Revamped my previous format which I thought was great but there has to be something for those teams that are ranked 1, 2 in the final regular season rankings in bcs or whatever future rankings they go by so now I go from 12 teams to 8. Bcs 1 and 2 get two byes and only need one win to get to the championship. The two highest ranked conference champs not including bcs 1,2 get first round bye. The first round will be 3rd and 4th highest ranked conference champs with home games against the 2 remaining highest ranked bcs schools (at larges). This gives everyone a chance plus stops further conference switching. It doesn't ruin the regular season. It only effects 8 schools with some travel. Seeding will go with conf champ 4 and bcs at large 4 playing in the bcs 1 bracket with conf champ 2 playing first round winner. Bcs 2 bracket will have conf champ 3 an bcs at large 3 in first round and conf champ 1 playing winner. For example this year:

1st round December 8

Oregon at N. Illinois huskie stadium

Florida at Florida state bbf at dc stadium

2nd round December 15

Ore/NIU vs Stanford rose bowl

FSU/FL vs Kansas state cotton bowl

3rd round December 22

Rose bowl winner vs notre dame motor city bowl

Cotton bowl winner vs Alabama sugar bowl

Championship jan 1 6:30pm Miami, FL

Motor city bowl winner vs

Sugar bowl winner

BAM who wouldn't go to that?! Plus just let who ever gets the tv deal put in there that the travel is paid for by them since everyone besides the players are going to get some fat pockets might as well make sure every team eligible to make it to the tourney has the $$ to get to the games.

• 1 month later...

http://m.bleacherrep...ball-semifinals

Well it looks like the semifinals in 2014-15 will be in Pasadena and New Orleans.

With Dallas being the frontrunner for the first playoff finals.

If they're going to pair up Pasadena and New Orleans, it would make sense to pair up the other sites on a permanent basis. Glendale/Atlanta and Dallas/Miami would be my initial thoughts that way you have one west of the Mississippi, and one east of the Mississippi each year.

I think FBS could work well with 16 regional divisions of between 6 and 11 teams (for scheduling purposes).

10-game regular season.

Please keep your realignment thoughts to the crazy realignment idea thread...no need to tarnish this one with your baffling comments.

Okay so everything will be the same, except for the new play-off system?

Not necessarily.

The NCAA could still take away the bowl system from the Football Bowl Association and bring the issues of bowls and the number of them to the conferences. See the thoughts from last year.

And in terms of rules/bylaws, this year's NCAA Convention is in Grapevine starting on Sunday.

Archived