CFB Playoffs?

Funky Bunky

So with a lot of talk that this might be the year the NCAA looks at the possibility of a playoff for the National Championship, it gave me the idea to start this thread. Do you have a proposal that you think would be a good idea? Tell us here.

Personally, I think we should do this:

Have the 4 BCS bowls (Rose, Orange, Fiesta, Sugar) select two teams to play in their bowl game, just like they do now, but instead of a National Championship game to go with them, the winners of the four games are then placed into two semi finals, and the winners of those games would play for the National Championship.

Any other ideas? This thread's probably been done before, but might as well do it again! B)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the eleven conference champions should all go into the playoffs. If you do not win your conference, you're obviously not good enough to win the national title (this season notwithstanding).

Then you have the independent team with the best record that also makes it, evening out the teams to 12. They could do it like the NFL with the wild card rounds too.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

11 Conference Champs,

5 At large teams

The NCAA seeds using BCS and the semis play at Rose, Sugar, Cotton or Orange. One of those four alternate as the title game site. The bowl game that doesn't get a semi or final gets best teams not in playoff.

I think the eleven conference champions should all go into the playoffs. If you do not win your conference, you're obviously not good enough to win the national title (this season notwithstanding).

Then you have the independent team with the best record that also makes it, evening out the teams to 12. They could do it like the NFL with the wild card rounds too.

If the independent teams want to play in the playoffs, they can join a conference like everyone else. What's to stop an independent team from scheduling cupcakes to rig themselves to 12-0, anyways?

LvZYtbZ.png

If the independent teams want to play in the playoffs, they can join a conference like everyone else. What's to stop an independent team from scheduling cupcakes to rig themselves to 12-0, anyways?

I think the NCAA could approve that they have a hard enough schedule, so that way they can't rig their schedules to play cupcake teams.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

So basically you're going to give Notre Dame or BYU a spot in the playoffs every year?

16 teams, 11 conf. champs, 5 at large.

Have the "Elite Eight", so to speak, play in the Rose, Cotton, Sugar and Fiesta. The winners of those games go into the "Final Four", with both games being played in the same day in the same stadium, but the stadium changes yearly. Have the Championship Game be played after an off week in the same stadium as the "Final Four" games.

Before the "Elite Eight" round, have the team with the higher seed in a matchup host the game at their home field. This may hurt the lower seeded teams (always playing against rival crowds, and having to move every week) though.

spacer.png

Have the "Elite Eight", so to speak, play in the Rose, Cotton, Sugar and Fiesta. The winners of those games go into the "Final Four", with both games being played in the same day in the same stadium, but the stadium changes yearly. Have the Championship Game be played after an off week in the same stadium as the "Final Four" games.

Before the "Elite Eight" round, have the team with the higher seed in a matchup host the game at their home field. This may hurt the lower seeded teams (always playing against rival crowds, and having to move every week) though.

That is a great idea. Just like the NCAA basketball tournament.

spacer.png

My playoff is pretty similar to the idea that infrared has posted before. It would have eight teams. Using the BCS system, the six highest ranked teams that are conference champions would make the tournament along with the next two highest ranked teams regardless of conference. The Rose, Sugar, Orange, and Fiesta bowls would then host the playoffs. They would play the actual bowl game in the quarters, then the semis would be at two of those sites, and the third would host the championship. The site that doesn't get a 2nd game is the one that will get the championship the next year. The bowls would get to pick their quarterfinal participants like they always have done, then the teams would be seeded for the semifinals Here's how it would look for this year:

Rose Bowl: (5) Oregon vs. (10) Wisconsin

Sugar Bowl: (1) LSU vs. (18) TCU

Orange Bowl: (2) Alabama vs. (11) Virginia Tech

Fiesta Bowl: (3) Stanford vs. (4) Oklahoma State

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

My playoff is pretty similar to the idea that infrared has posted before. It would have eight teams. Using the BCS system, the six highest ranked teams that are conference champions would make the tournament along with the next two highest ranked teams regardless of conference. The Rose, Sugar, Orange, and Fiesta bowls would then host the playoffs. They would play the actual bowl game in the quarters, then the semis would be at two of those sites, and the third would host the championship. The site that doesn't get a 2nd game is the one that will get the championship the next year. The bowls would get to pick their quarterfinal participants like they always have done, then the teams would be seeded for the semifinals Here's how it would look for this year:

Rose Bowl: (5) Oregon vs. (10) Wisconsin

Sugar Bowl: (1) LSU vs. (18) TCU

Orange Bowl: (2) Alabama vs. (11) Virginia Tech

Fiesta Bowl: (3) Stanford vs. (4) Oklahoma State

Other than the seedings, it's exactly like my proposal. B)

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I'd rather see no changes. Maintaining the current conference matchups in bowls like the Sugar and Rose are more important to me than crowning a national champion.

*sigh*

Just another reason I don't care about college football. No athletic organization on earth covets it's rivalries more.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Simple answer here...

A 12 team playoff (11 conference champions plus the best Independent program. Should said program miss the criteria of at least 8 wins, the second best team from the number 1 ranked conference (AKA the At-Large) gets the slot. If the at-large gets a bid, they cannot be seeded 1-4.)

-Seedings are decided by an RPI system that is used to determine conference strength. The RPI does it's first poll on the first weekend of October and lasts until Championship Saturday.

-On Selection Sunday, the matchups will be announced. The first two rounds are on home fields with one game on Friday and the other three on Saturday (possibly as a triple header on ESPN, you know) The 2nd round remains that way.

-The BCS bowls will remain as the hosts for the Semifinals, 3rd Place Game and National Championship Game. Under this year's planned format, New Orleans (Sugar Bowl) is the home for the National Championship Game while Pasadena (Rose Bowl) and Miami (Orange Bowl) hosts the semis. Phoenix (Fiesta Bowl) will have the third place game because they hosted the NCG last year.

As for teams who miss out... there will still be some bowl games left. The exception is that a team must finish at least 7-5 to be eligible to play in a bowl game. Also, bowl games cannot be played on days when the playoffs are going on.

I'd rather see no changes. Maintaining the current conference matchups in bowls like the Sugar and Rose are more important to me than crowning a national champion.

Look at the plan Billy B stole from me( B)) Billy B's plan and replace seeding the teams with keeping the traditional bowl tie-ins. Keeping the traditional tie-ins was one of the main points in my playoff.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

Simple answer here...

A 12 team playoff (11 conference champions plus the best Independent program. Should said program miss the criteria of at least 8 wins, the second best team from the number 1 ranked conference (AKA the At-Large) gets the slot. If the at-large gets a bid, they cannot be seeded 1-4.)

-Seedings are decided by an RPI system that is used to determine conference strength. The RPI does it's first poll on the first weekend of October and lasts until Championship Saturday.

-On Selection Sunday, the matchups will be announced. The first two rounds are on home fields with one game on Friday and the other three on Saturday (possibly as a triple header on ESPN, you know) The 2nd round remains that way.

-The BCS bowls will remain as the hosts for the Semifinals, 3rd Place Game and National Championship Game. Under this year's planned format, New Orleans (Sugar Bowl) is the home for the National Championship Game while Pasadena (Rose Bowl) and Miami (Orange Bowl) hosts the semis. Phoenix (Fiesta Bowl) will have the third place game because they hosted the NCG last year.

As for teams who miss out... there will still be some bowl games left. The exception is that a team must finish at least 7-5 to be eligible to play in a bowl game. Also, bowl games cannot be played on days when the playoffs are going on.

Again, if you don't win your conference, you don't deserve to be in the tournament. If independents want to be invited, they should join a conference like anyone else.

LvZYtbZ.png

But what if they don't want to join a conference, hm? Ever thought about that, SEC Fantard?

All four Indies are pretty happy where they are. Even then, they have a better chance of getting in with this system then what is out there now (which caters itself to Notre Dame while leaving the other three with scraps).

Cut the 2 worst bowls from bowl season and keep the BCS games the same as is. The difference would be a 4 team playoff, atleast 4 at first and then move to 8 if the situation works out. If my plan would be in effect this season the BCS and 4 team playoff picture would have looked like this(Cotton Bowl included because it may soon become BCS bowl, so hey why not? lol):

1 LSU vs 4 Stanford

2 Alabama vs 3 Oklahoma St.

Rose Bowl - Oregon vs Wisconsin

Sugar Bowl - Virginia Tech vs South Carolina

Orange Bowl - Michigan vs West Virginia

Fiesta Bowl - Arkansas vs Clemson

*Cotton Bowl* - Oklahoma/Kansas St. vs Boise St./Baylor....Considering Oklahoma beat K-State, I would think it would be the Sooners and Broncos. They could always pick Baylor because the game is in Texas and RG3 was hot all year. But in the end I think they would be intrigued by a rematch of that memorable Fiesta Bowl some years back.

I think I got the BCS bowls right in my scenario with how the bowls would of probably pick the teams. With Stanford and Oklahoma St. in playoffs, 2 more teams get into BCS bowls and with the Cotton Bowl a total of 4 teams are added to the BCS bowls.

That is a great idea. Just like the NCAA basketball tournament.

The NCAA basketball tournament, despite its flaws, is so much better than the BCS.

spacer.png

Archived