PA Announcer @ Camden Yards

Nesi427

I just wanted to share with the community that I have applied for the PA announcer position at Camden Yards.

Some of you know that I have been announcing for a few years now at the high school level. I have been announcing HS Football for 3 years and I have been doing basketball for four.

I will keep everyone posted on what happens, but it would be an awesome dream to make it to that level. I take pride in my work and always conduct myself with a super amount of professionalism in the press box or court side. I figured after years of people telling me how great I sound, I should give it a shot.

So we'll see what happens :grin:

spacer.png

FANTASY SPORTS: UBA (NBA): New York Scrapers | CL (MLB): St Pete Beach Clippers

Very cool, Nesi! Best of luck. Maybe I'll hear you when I make my annual trip for the Angels' series....and whatever bobblehead days they have.

Hell, if Nesi gets the gig maybe they'll even make a bobblehead of him someday. :)

CCSLC signature.png

Good luck, man! The Braves current PA guy made the jump directly from high school to MLB, so there's definitely precedent of it happening. Hopefully you'll be able to make it too!

I just wanted to share with the community that I have applied for the PA announcer position at Camden Yards.

Some of you know that I have been announcing for a few years now at the high school level. I have been announcing HS Football for 3 years and I have been doing basketball for four.

I will keep everyone posted on what happens, but it would be an awesome dream to make it to that level. I take pride in my work and always conduct myself with a super amount of professionalism in the press box or court side. I figured after years of people telling me how great I sound, I should give it a shot.

thats something i have wanted to do, hows does one start? any tips?

thats something i have wanted to do, hows does one start? any tips?

I'm very curious. How does somebody get into this? Being a PA announcer at a stadium is something I'd be really interested in doing someday.

For me it was always something I wanted to do. So a few years ago I was working in a middle school and asked the principal if I could announce the boys and girls games. He said there sure. So one day I showed up with my laptop, some music files, and announced the game and did in-game sound, AND ran the clock during the game.

Ever since then I have been creating a pro stadium/arena atmosphere where ever I go. Actually this year, the girls varsity coach thanked me after a game and said the games are like being at Madison Square Garden. If you want to do you need to make the opportunity for yourself.

I don't know if the O's will ever contact me, but you have to start somewhere. I'm still upset that I missed the opportunity to go to NYC and audition for Nets job which was held in the Fall for the Barclay's Center.

spacer.png

FANTASY SPORTS: UBA (NBA): New York Scrapers | CL (MLB): St Pete Beach Clippers

I'm very curious. How does somebody get into this? Being a PA announcer at a stadium is something I'd be really interested in doing someday.

For me it was always something I wanted to do. So a few years ago I was working in a middle school and asked the principal if I could announce the boys and girls games. He said there sure. So one day I showed up with my laptop, some music files, and announced the game and did in-game sound, AND ran the clock during the game.

Ever since then I have been creating a pro stadium/arena atmosphere where ever I go. Actually this year, the girls varsity coach thanked me after a game and said the games are like being at Madison Square Garden. If you want to do you need to make the opportunity for yourself.

I don't know if the O's will ever contact me, but you have to start somewhere. I'm still upset that I missed the opportunity to go to NYC and audition for Nets job which was held in the Fall for the Barclay's Center.

That's awesome if you get the job, although you'd have to really wow them to come in with as short a big-time history. If this at least helps you get the foot in the door, maybe you could use that to work PA at local arenas or colleges.

Carl Beane, the current announcer at Fenway Park, had a long career in radio before getting the Sox gig. Even now, during the day, he is one of the reporters for a local news radio station.

Not saying that's what you need to do, but if this is a possible career path for you, at least you can see where you could try to get experience.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Carl Beane, the current announcer at Fenway Park, had a long career in radio before getting the Sox gig. Even now, during the day, he is one of the reporters for a local news radio station.

Not saying that's what you need to do, but if this is a possible career path for you, at least you can see where you could try to get experience.

The PA for the Angels, Clippers, and LA Kings, David Courtney, also does sports radio score updates on the LA ESPN Affiliate during the day. So that's not uncommon. Definitely a great way to go. It should really be an option for anyone trying to get into sports broadcasting in any form. There are many avenues to take.

Best of luck to ya!

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

To all the people that were wondering how to get into the PA announcing business, the answer is simply apply everywhere. I'm currently the main PA guy for our local junior B hockey team, as well as backup for our college's varsity teams (would be full time with that, but I have too many other time commitments)

The junior B job was simply being in the right place at the right time. I interviewed the GM for an article in a local sports magazine, and asked him if he had any openings within the organization. He said they needed a PA guy. However, when I got there, they had someone else doing it, and had me videotaping the games on the GM's camcorder. One day, the PA guy didn't show up, and I was asked to fill in. I did well my first game, and never looked back.

For college, I was the mascot last year, but resigned that because of time constraints. They offered me the PA announcer job (only gym sports, so less games than mascot, which includes field sports), but I still didn't have enough time between working at the campus radio station and the aforementioned junior B games. I offered to come on as backup, and they accepted. If the regular guy has to work, I get the call.

It's not much money (at least where I'm at), but getting paid to watch sports is one of the greatest things in the world. As with Nesi, I get a lot of compliments about the professionalism of my productions.

My next stop is to try for our Junior A team, and then possibly the OHL, and on from there.

To anyone wanting to get in, just give it a shot, do your best, and you never know what might happen.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Good Luck my friend! You and I are very similar. I've been doing Public Address for a High School here in North Carolina. I'm on my 5th year of Football, 3rd of Basketball, and 3rd of Baseball. I also do radio and PA for a Collegiate Based pro baseball. It's my dream to someday work for a top tier organization as well! Best of Luck, and keep us up to date!

Archived