2012 MLB Season

GriffinM6

Howard - missed half the season rehabbing from a torn Achilles

Utley - missed half the season rehabbing his degenerating knees

Rollins - hitting .238, has been a big disappointment

Polanco - missed a third of the season with various injuries and is having his worst season in the majors when he actually plays

Mayberry - overestimated how much he'd contribute based on last year, has been a major disappointment

Victorino - was having a disappointing season before he was traded

Pence - was having a disappointing season before he was traded

Thome - missed a month with back problems, couldn't play the field, struck out every time he pinch hit, had to be traded

Halladay - missed almost 2 months with a shoulder problem, hasn't looked that great in most of his starts

Lee - missed a month after pitching 10 shutout innings at SF, 2-7 in 21 starts, still hasn't won a game at home yet. Another major disappointment

Blanton - was having an average season before he was traded

Worley - missed time with an elbow problem and is trying to pitch through it, but he has a losing record after finishing 3rd in NL ROY voting

Kendrick - started 2-9 before turning things around lately

Papelbon - when it isn't a save situation, he's bad

Bastardo - was supposed to be the 8th inning guy but has been too inconsistent, another major disappointment

Qualls - was having an awful season before he was traded

Contreras/Herndon/Stutes - all three were being counted on to solidify the bullpen and all of them were done for the season after less than 10-20 appearances

Schwimer/Savery/Diekman/Rosenberg/Valdes/Sanches - every bullpen guy they've brought up from Lehigh Valley has sucked

So yeah, if it wasn't for Hamels, Ruiz and Pierre, they'd be in Astro territory.

Speaking of Pence, the Phils are still giving away his bobblehead at tonight's game... :grin:

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Derek Jeter 1,000 hits shy of Pete Rose

1. Pete Rose ------------ 4,256
  2. Ty Cobb ------------.. 4,189
  3. Hank Aaron ---------- 3,771
  4. Stan Musial ---------- 3,630
  5. Tris Speaker -----..... 3,514
  6. Carl Yastrzemski ---.. 3,419
  7. Honus Wagner ------. 3,415
  8. Paul Molitor ------..... 3,319
  9. Eddie Collins -----..... 3,315
  10. Willie Mays ------...... 3,283
  11. Derek Jeter -------.... 3,256
  12. Eddie Murray ------... 3,255
  13. Nap Lajoie ---------... 3,252
  14. Cal Ripken, Jr. ------- 3,184
  15. George Brett --------. 3,154

In order to do it, Jeter would basically have to play some years at the end of his career well past his best, for no real reason other than the personal feat of breaking the record. He doesn't strike me as the type of guy who'd do that.

I think there's a very good chance he'll make third place all-time ahead of Aaron, possibly even make 4000 hits, but I highly doubt he displaces Cobb or Rose.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

In order to do it, Jeter would basically have to play some years at the end of his career well past his best, for no real reason other than the personal feat of breaking the record. He doesn't strike me as the type of guy who'd do that.

I think there's a very good chance he'll make third place all-time ahead of Aaron, possibly even make 4000 hits, but I highly doubt he displaces Cobb or Rose.

In other words he'd have to do what Rose did...

From ESPN.com

"About five years ago, I was in spring training and I was in the trainer's room and he said, 'Stick, how long do you think I could play?' I said, 'What?'" Michael said, recalling a story he has told before. "I said, 'One year.'

"He said, 'No, I'm serious. How long do you think I can play?' I said, 'Maybe two, three, four years. Why did you ask me that?' He said, 'I'm going to play 10.'"

Jeter won't say that to reporters. But at this point, who can really doubt that he won't play as long as Rose did. It may sound a little crazy, but Jeter is really neck-and-neck with the all-time Hit King. And he's showing no signs of slowing down.

Basically, yes.

Difference was Pete Rose is a tool who seems to enjoy being 'the all time hit leader'; I just don't see Jeter as that kind of guy.

I may well be proven wrong though, who knows.

Basically, yes.

Difference was Pete Rose is a tool who seems to enjoy being 'the all time hit leader'; I just don't see Jeter as that kind of guy.

I may well be proven wrong though, who knows.

Well as someone who's watched Jeter closely for almost 20 years... I do

I've never seen a more prideful player. This is a player than has never hinted at retirement and has never accepted the fact he'll move from the SS position.

Fair enough.

I feel that pride would mean he'd want to leave the Majors whilst still a productive, borderline elite, player (a la Chipper Jones); than hang around for a few years not at his best solely to break a record (a la Pete Rose).

I may be wrong however. I guess we shall see in the coming few years.

Fair enough.

I feel that pride would mean he'd want to leave the Majors whilst still a productive, borderline elite, player (a la Chipper Jones); than hang around for a few years not at his best solely to break a record (a la Pete Rose).

I may be wrong however. I guess we shall see in the coming few years.

you make a good point, another example.. the second DiMaggio's game slipped a little he hung them up

NOBODY thought Brett Favre would become a record-hungry diva and outstay his welcome for a good five years. Who's to say Jeter doesn't turn into the same type of player and hang on well into his 40s for the sole purpose of chasing Rose's record?!

6uXNWAo.png

Who's to say Jeter doesn't stick around well into his 40s solely because he actually enjoys playing every day? Jeter isn't a distraction to his team. In fact, he is still putting up good numbers and contributing to the Yankees on an everyday basis. This isn't a Brett Favre situation where he leaves the team he spent his entire career with because said team doesn't want or need him anymore. Yet.

The Washington Nationals are 77-46, 7 games up in their division (and 10-4 against the Braves), have an offense that is rounding into form, and the best pitching staff in baseball.

Furthermore, the American League has been quite stricken by parity this year - the World Series is as up for grabs as ever. I think only the Reds are near the Nationals level in the NL.

So tell me, once again, how they can logically support shutting down their best pitcher? They are not guaranteed to be this good in 2013/14/15 - they have a chance for the title, they've gotta take it. Flags Fly Forever.

spacer.png

A lot of it may depend on how the Yankees feel about him.

If the Yankees are happy enough with him to keep him as a near every day player through age 45, maybe he does it.

But if he has to go to Minnesota (not picking on Minny, just thinking of a mid-sized market not on the East Coast and not a perennial power) to on a one year deal to extend is career... well maybe he calls it a career.

Chasing records would be annoying, but playing as long as someone will let you has never bothered me. So if I can be convinced it's for the passion, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

However--much as the media attention would make me ill--Jeter's the type of guy you'd like to see get a farewell tour season ala Chipper. So I'd like to see him make his decision in advance, and not just because he can't find a suitable gig.

The Washington Nationals are 77-46, 7 games up in their division (and 10-4 against the Braves), have an offense that is rounding into form, and the best pitching staff in baseball.

Furthermore, the American League has been quite stricken by parity this year - the World Series is as up for grabs as ever. I think only the Reds are near the Nationals level in the NL.

So tell me, once again, how they can logically support shutting down their best pitcher? They are not guaranteed to be this good in 2013/14/15 - they have a chance for the title, they've gotta take it. Flags Fly Forever.

Since Strasburg pitches every fifth day or so, then the Nats still have a pretty good chance to win those games in which he's not pitching regardless of their opponent. ^_^

However, it would be beneficial for the Nats to not shutdown Strasburg completely since their possible playoff rotation would consist of Gonzalez, Zimmermann, Detwiler, and Jackson, which is still formidable, but not as daunting of a challenge as it seems.

I don't think the Nats will be able to pick-up a solid #2 starter at the waiver deadline, but if they do, then the rotation could consist of Gonzalez, #2 Guy, Zimmermann, Detwiler, and Jackson or Lannan.

Reds prospect Billy Hamilton breaks minor league stolen base record

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120821&content_id=37103464&vkey=news_cin&c_id=cin

I don't care if it's the minor leagues, 146 is a :censored:load of stolen bases.

Also, last night Chase Utley feigned like he got hit and took first base. Again. He did the same thing in the 2010 playoffs when Chapman's pitch was nowhere near him and he just took off for first base. Fortunately the Phillies weren't able to weasel a run out of it like they did two years ago. Bush league and I'm glad he was the one that struck out to end the game.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived