2012 MLB Season

GriffinM6

Joe Saunders is not a formidable #2.

ya but he's the best pitcher on the market right now

Who said anything about the Nats needing another pitcher? J-Zimm, Gio, E-Jack and Detwiler/Lannan is as strong a playoff rotation as anyone else's, if not stronger. Don't forget Craig Stammen could also step in and start if needed.

I think the whole "shut down Strasburg" thing is overblown. It's not like our rotation is in the same condition it was in back when we had to rely on guys like Livan Hernandez and Tim Redding to hold down the fort.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Washington Nationals are 77-46, 7 games up in their division (and 10-4 against the Braves), have an offense that is rounding into form, and the best pitching staff in baseball.

Furthermore, the American League has been quite stricken by parity this year - the World Series is as up for grabs as ever. I think only the Reds are near the Nationals level in the NL.

So tell me, once again, how they can logically support shutting down their best pitcher? They are not guaranteed to be this good in 2013/14/15 - they have a chance for the title, they've gotta take it. Flags Fly Forever.

Since Strasburg pitches every fifth day or so, then the Nats still have a pretty good chance to win those games in which he's not pitching regardless of their opponent. ^_^

However, it would be beneficial for the Nats to not shutdown Strasburg completely since their possible playoff rotation would consist of Gonzalez, Zimmermann, Detwiler, and Jackson, which is still formidable, but not as daunting of a challenge as it seems.

I don't think the Nats will be able to pick-up a solid #2 starter at the waiver deadline, but if they do, then the rotation could consist of Gonzalez, #2 Guy, Zimmermann, Detwiler, and Jackson or Lannan.

Joe Saunders?

Joe Saunders is not a formidable #2.

ya but he's the best pitcher on the market right now

Who said anything about the Nats needing another pitcher? J-Zimm, Gio, E-Jack and Detwiler/Lannan is as strong a playoff rotation as anyone else's, if not stronger. Don't forget Craig Stammen could also step in and start if needed.

I think the whole "shut down Strasburg" thing is overblown. It's not like our rotation is in the same condition it was in back when we had to rely on guys like Livan Hernandez and Tim Redding to hold down the fort.

I said it; however, more along the lines that if the Nats acquire a #2 starter, that I assumed what their rotation could consist of without Strasburg.

If Joe Saunders is going anywhere its probably Baltimore.

Again no clue how they are still in the playoff hunt because they are below the AL average in both offense and pitching, but of all the teams still with a shot they're the ones probably in the most need of starting pitching.

I didn't do the math, but I feel that the Jays starting lineup is a hitting like .225 as a team. Plus only 6 hits overall against Justin Verlander. I'm just jinxing the no hitter/perfect game now. Good news Jose Bautista is back tomorrow and Brandon Morrow is back Saturday.

Some good.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Y'all are forgetting that the Cardinals' bullpen was one of the major reasons, if not the biggest reason, that they won the WS last year. The Nats should shut down Strasburg to protect his/their future, and put faith in that strong bullpen that they have. They can also put Lannan or Detweiler in the bullpen for the postseason if they feel they need to strengthen it more, allowing them to spot-start when needed. Shutting Strasburg down would certainly hurt the rotation a bit, but if the bullpen is good, it won't hurt that much.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

Y'all are forgetting that the Cardinals' bullpen was one of the major reasons, if not the biggest reason, that they won the WS last year. The Nats should shut down Strasburg to protect his/their future, and put faith in that strong bullpen that they have. They can also put Lannan or Detweiler in the bullpen for the postseason if they feel they need to strengthen it more, allowing them to spot-start when needed. Shutting Strasburg down would certainly hurt the rotation a bit, but if the bullpen is good, it won't hurt that much.

First of all the Cardinals bullpen didn't shut down a damn thing in World Series. Lynn, Motte, Salas. Those guys got lit up by Texas, and the bullpen blew game two and nearly blew game six.

Against Milwaukee and Philly they did a pretty good job of slamming the door, so I'll buy the argument it was a big reason for them getting to the World Series, but not winning it.

As for the Nats bullpen, they have been the best bullpen in the NL all year long. There's no other bullpen out there that's really even close. Only problem is that bullpen has also worked alot of innings. At least four guys are going to finish up with over 50 games pitched. They might start getting guys hitting inning walls soon, so may not be a bad idea to start resting the key guys down there, Burnett, Clippard, Sammen and try to get some work out of other guys in the meantime.

The Nats are simply the most conserative team I've ever seen with innings in regards to a pitching staff that good and yeah its going to be very interesting to see if in the playoffs that strategy changes.

Also as an unrelated sidenote how PO'd do people think Jim Riggleman is right now? Quit the in all likelyhood playoff bound Nats so he could go down to Florida and manage the Blue Wahoos.

First of all the Cardinals bullpen didn't shut down a damn thing in World Series. Lynn, Motte, Salas. Those guys got lit up by Texas, and the bullpen blew game two and nearly blew game six.

Against Milwaukee and Philly they did a pretty good job of slamming the door, so I'll buy the argument it was a big reason for them getting to the World Series, but not winning it.

As for the Nats bullpen, they have been the best bullpen in the NL all year long. There's no other bullpen out there that's really even close. Only problem is that bullpen has also worked alot of innings. At least four guys are going to finish up with over 50 games pitched. They might start getting guys hitting inning walls soon, so may not be a bad idea to start resting the key guys down there, Burnett, Clippard, Sammen and try to get some work out of other guys in the meantime.

The Nats are simply the most conserative team I've ever seen with innings in regards to a pitching staff that good and yeah its going to be very interesting to see if in the playoffs that strategy changes.

Also as an unrelated sidenote how PO'd do people think Jim Riggleman is right now? Quit the in all likelyhood playoff bound Nats so he could go down to Florida and manage the Blue Wahoos.

The Reds' bullpen has given up 40 fewer runs, has a lower ERA, and a lower batting average. They're not even close?

PvO6ZWJ.png

The Reds' bullpen has given up 40 fewer runs, has a lower ERA, and a lower batting average. They're not even close?

Well technically they're so much better than Washington that yes, nobody is close to the Nats. As for being the best, well...no.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Well technically they're so much better than Washington that yes, nobody is close to the Nats. As for being the best, well...no.

Cincy has had one of the best bullpens in the NL, along with the Dodgers, but 28th in the MLB in innings pitched out of the pen, and Chapman is leading the team in relief by more then 10 innings. So nearly 20% of their bullpen stats can be accounted for by one guy.

In terms of depth and quality, no I don't think there's another bullpen in the NL that can match up with Washington.

But looking at the stats again though it closer then I thought, so I will be back off a little on the point of Washington being hands down the best. So the point is taken by me.

Maybe it's the Cubs fan in me, but if I have a chance to win it this year, I go for it. Can't compromise a team this good because you think you can "afford to." It's October baseball. You can't afford to do anything less than go balls-out. At this juncture, it is, in fact, a sprint and not a marathon. And you especially can't sit back and say you can win another year. Who's to say?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Bowling Green, Kentucky. Not surprised.

Hey, maybe this means Tampa is also going to look for a new affiliate now. Good news for possibly competitive Peoria Chiefs baseball.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm impressed with that.

And, hell, I'm a Yankees fan, but I still subscribe to the idea of going for it all, when you consider the future is not guaranteed, and especially when you consider the long drought of playoff baseball in the District. Washington is an excellent sports city that hasn't seen much success at all since the Redskins won their last Super Bowl. Most fans out there will likely be restless if the Nationals put a heavy damper on their chances at the title.

spacer.png

You've gotta remember, though, essentially the doctors have said that unless the Nats shut down Strasburg at 160-180, there's a very good chance that he tears the arm again. They've said that's all his arm can handle right now when it's not at full-strength.

6fQjS3M.png

Most fans out there will likely be restless if the Nationals put a heavy damper on their chances at the title.

Have we learned nothing?

"Heavy damper" on their chances? That's a clown statement, bro. Take a look at their rotation sans-Strasburg and tell me if that's still a rotation that's good enough to win the whole thing. (Here's a hint: Yes.)

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

The Angels/Sox game has been pretty crazy so far, and it's only the third inning. Boston went up 6-0 in the bottom of the 2nd, and now it's 8-6 Angels. Boston's on its 3rd pitcher already.

For those not watching (on MLB Network), this game is now 14-12 Angels in the top of the 10th. The Angels had a lead going into the 9th, gave up a leadoff homerun, then led off the 10th with a HR of their own. :censored: crazy game.

Archived