2012 MLB Season

GriffinM6

So the Red Sox are admitting that they can't scout players and are trading away their mistakes for at best a bunch of players who might make the team one day? They get Loney, who's on the complete downside of his career, and nothing else. If you think that De La Rosa is good, then why wasn't he with the Dodgers this year? It's not like the Dodgers had a good/great pitching staff, so obviously there's a lot this kid doesn't have that kept him out of the majors. Do I blame the Red Sox? No. They had to start over, but will they start over or are they going to be stupid and spend money on another big name who won't fit. That's their problem, they can't scout free agents worth crap. They can't find players who fit their club. Whether it be Lackey, or Crawford, they just don't look at character. And then to top it off, they bring in a horrible character guy in Valentine and now are allowing him to mold the team? Okay, so Bobby just bought himself another year, and the Red Sox have pushed the button to the basement of baseball. You look at this franchise and you know they don't have the guts to dump all their name players and go for a total rebuild and even if they did, Valentine isn't the guy you want teaching your franchise how to play.

As far as what the Dodgers are getting, a good power hitting 1B which should add protection for Kemp, and Eithier, and Ramierez. As far as Beckett goes, if he pitches decently, then he probably slots nicely behind Kershaw and Billingsly. If he pitches well, then he could make Bills a strong #3 pitcher in the rotation. The real scary part for the rest of the NL, is if Crawford comes back to anything close to what he was in Tampa, that's going to be one hell of a line up. If he could be a .285, 15 HR, 70 RBI guy, with let's say 45 stolen bases, it just makes the team deeper. The thing is, I just see this as a set up for an off-season move for the Dodgers. They got Hanley to play 3B? Or did they get Hanley to play SS, to move Dee Gordon over to 2B, so that they can go out and get David Wright to play 3B? I fully expect to see David Wright in a Dodger uniform next year. The Dodgers biggest problem is starting pitching and I'm not sure if Beckett can help, because besides Kershaw, it's questionable. Yeah, they have Billingsly who's looked good over his last 6 starts, but Bills has a habit of looking good for a while and then horrible for a while. I give the Dodgers kudos for trying to win. It's a lot more than you can say about some franchises in the sports world. I respect franchises that show the fans that they want to win.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Haley's days of playing short are over. He's Derek Jeter without the reputation at short. He could get moved over to second or third. He's got the bat to justify him being at third full time.

As for what the Dodgers are going to do at either 2nd or 3rd I really don't know. If Mets lose David Wright your may start to see fans bringing pitchforks out to Citi Field looking for the Wilpons. There's no reason why they shouldn't be able to hold onto him. I could see it happening though, especially if the Dodgers are going to be this aggressive and I have zero faith in the Wilpons being able to retain anybody. The fact that he wasn't locked up this offseason tells me there's a chance he may be gone. I don't know what the Mets plan is to be honest. The only guy signed past 2014 is Jon Niese, so they could turn over the entire roster within two years if they wanted to.

Going back to the Dodgers I think Beckett is going to be the question mark. If he can't pitch well in this environment he's done. He's out of that insane pressure cooker that is the Boston media market. He's not going to be asked to be "the guy" in the rotation so that pressure is off him as well. And he's got a much better pitcher's park to throw in then Fenway, and for flyball pitchers as Beckett is, Dodger Stadium is not a bad place to pitch in.

So the Red Sox are admitting that they can't scout players and are trading away their mistakes for at best a bunch of players who might make the team one day? They get Loney, who's on the complete downside of his career, and nothing else. If you think that De La Rosa is good, then why wasn't he with the Dodgers this year? It's not like the Dodgers had a good/great pitching staff, so obviously there's a lot this kid doesn't have that kept him out of the majors. Do I blame the Red Sox? No. They had to start over, but will they start over or are they going to be stupid and spend money on another big name who won't fit. That's their problem, they can't scout free agents worth crap. They can't find players who fit their club. Whether it be Lackey, or Crawford, they just don't look at character. And then to top it off, they bring in a horrible character guy in Valentine and now are allowing him to mold the team? Okay, so Bobby just bought himself another year, and the Red Sox have pushed the button to the basement of baseball. You look at this franchise and you know they don't have the guts to dump all their name players and go for a total rebuild and even if they did, Valentine isn't the guy you want teaching your franchise how to play.

Why do you sound so bitter? De La Rosa wasn't in the Majors because he was recovering from Tommy John surgery. He's also 23, so lets pump the breaks with the hate.

I fully believe the Sox could care less about James Loney, he was a throw in to clear the way for Adrian at first. 20 to 1 he won't be in a Sox uniform next year.

Bolded part: Are you blind? They just unloaded Gonzalez, Crawford, and Beckett. Three of their biggest names. Saying the club doesn't have guts after this deal is a borderline Tnak statement. I can tell you probably hate the Red Sox like the rest of America, but don't let the bias cloud your judgement.

Now as for everyone jumping on the Red Sox and the Boston media for throwing everyone under the bus, let's take a couple steps back and read last nights Gordon Edes (usually a douche) column. Here it is.

If you don't want to read it, here are some quotes...

The Red Sox were not eager to part with Gonzalez. "I haven't been around more of a professional, good guy, terrific player as him in a long time -- if ever," manager Bobby Valentine said of Gonzalez, who denied a Yahoo! Sports report that identified him as leader of a clubhouse cabal against Valentine late last month.
On Thursday, CEO Larry Lucchino spoke in glowing terms of Gonzalez, saying he had been everything the club had hoped for, both on and off the field, especially once he started hitting home runs again after a slow start this season. "We loved Adrian," another Sox source said Friday.

Like clockwork, continuing a Boston tradition of crapping on players and coaches on the way out:

Gonzalez had become a whiner who seemed to be involved in starting a group to complain about Valentine. He seemed to have an opinion on everything, and rubbed his managers the wrong way. Gonzalez was never the guy we thought he was supposed to be, no leadership skills whatsoever.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/2012/08/25/red-sox-verge-trading-beckett-gonzalez-crawford/S0ZiybrrzbshA92QDWupQO/story.html

I'd love to live in a world where the idiot media isn't representative of an entire fanbase :rolleyes:

It's funny to see people who think they know the sports atmosphere in Boston. Personally, I love this deal and Cherrington himself said it was the "first step" in the right direction. Time will tell who made out on the deal. I also don't really mind Valentine. Their season was just the continuation of how they played last September with little to no player change. If Francona wasn't to blame last September for the collapse, then why should we blame Valentine right now for their continued, under achieving play?

I was in Boston today and you could tell the atmosphere regarding the Sox was different. The ringleader of the circus that was the 2012 Boston Red Sox is gone in the form of Josh Beckett.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Dexter didn't even mention the fans. It's the organization and the media who are obsessed with vilifying anyone who leaves Boston, not the fans (although a large number of Boston fans are annoying in a different, Tawmmy-from-Quinzee-esque way).

His words of "continuing a Boston tradition" implies the city; as in the media, the organization, and the fans. As a Yankee fan, I'm sure he doesn't hold back in any swipe he can take against our beloved city :P and who cares what the media does in reference to their reporting? They're knee jerk-reaction idiots who are loathed by the Boston fans, so why make them seem like they have significance? Their opinion is worthless.

And we've been over the stereotypes about Boston fans. Hang around true Boston fans, and then come talk to me.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Dexter didn't even mention the fans. It's the organization and the media who are obsessed with vilifying anyone who leaves Boston, not the fans (although a large number of Boston fans are annoying in a different, Tawmmy-from-Quinzee-esque way).

You must have completely just disregarded my post.

I thought it was accepted that anyone who leaves Boston gets the ol' "we never liked you anyway and I have a guy who says you beat your wife" treatment. It's been like this for some time now across all their teams.

How did the Dodgers make a waiver trade with a player on the 25-man roster? I thought you were only allowed to send back minor leaguers and PTBNLs.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Of course not EVERYONE in the Boston media is involved in that crap, but it's still a prevalent trend.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Of course not EVERYONE in the Boston media is involved in that crap, but it's still a prevalent trend.

Agreed. I'm a bit surprised myself at the A-Gon love fest going on with the higher-ups right now. Fully expecting some well deserved Beckett bashing in the near future though.

Carl is a guy I feel bad for. He signed a bloated contract he could net possibly live up to, he's not that kind of player. He didn't have to play hurt for this team at all this year, but he gutted it out - that says something. Wish he could've lived up to his potential here, hopefully he bounces back next June/July.

I thought it was accepted that anyone who leaves Boston gets the ol' "we never liked you anyway and I have a guy who says you beat your wife" treatment. It's been like this for some time now across all their teams.

How did the Dodgers make a waiver trade with a player on the 25-man roster? I thought you were only allowed to send back minor leaguers and PTBNLs.

Apparently James Loney was placed on waivers and cleared them. Once that happens, he's free to be traded to any team.

Just about every player is placed on waivers in the month of August.

Ha! Awesome, Adrian.

Imagine if the Dodgers don't win the World Series (or even make the playoffs) after taking on these guys. Imagine if they become the morasses they were in Boston. Imagine if those blue-chip prospects turn out to be All-Stars. Would this go down as one of the worst trades of all time?

spacer.png

Also kinda interesting Andre Ethier just tied a dodger recoded for consecutive hits at nine.

Tied with Ron Cey. Ed Knoetchy (who should be in the HOF) now with his tenth hit.

Strange part is he hit a home run off a lefty to get his ninth hit and for the year he was hitting .218 with 2 home runs against lefties.

When your hot your hot.

Record BTW is 12. Walt Dropo and Johnny Kling.

Also kinda interesting Andre Ethier just tied a dodger recoded for consecutive hits at nine.

Tied with Ron Cey. Ed Knoetchy (who should be in the HOF) now with his tenth hit.

You think anyone we've never heard of who had a decent career should be in the HOF. B)

Just curious, did you ever play baseball?

BB52Big.jpg

You think anyone we've never heard of who had a decent career should be in the HOF. B)

Just curious, did you ever play baseball?

He was the Keith Hernandez of the 1910's and there's very few guys that played then that are in the HOF. He wouldn't be the worst guy to get in by any stretch.

And yeah I did play a little. Wasn't very good but life goes on.

Ha! Awesome, Adrian.

Imagine if the Dodgers don't win the World Series (or even make the playoffs) after taking on these guys. Imagine if they become the morasses they were in Boston. Imagine if those blue-chip prospects turn out to be All-Stars. Would this go down as one of the worst trades of all time?

Of course if the best-case scenario happens for one team and the worst-case scenario happens for the other, it'll go down as a horrible trade.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Archived