2012 MLB Season

GriffinM6

Also, the Reds start every season at home.

Really? I did not know that. What's the reason?

Because Cincinnati was the first city with professional baseball. They've started every season at home except for 1990. I'm not sure why they were on the road that year.

Lockout delayed the season by a week.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also, the Reds start every season at home.

Really? I did not know that. What's the reason?

Because Cincinnati was the first city with professional baseball. They've started every season at home except for 1990. I'm not sure why they were on the road that year.

Spring Training Lockout postponed the first week of the regular season which was moved to the last week of the season if I recall.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Tonight Darwin Barney set the National League record for consecutive games at 2B without an error. Gotta find the bright spots in a season when you can...

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Tonight Darwin Barney set the National League record for consecutive games at 2B without an error. Gotta find the bright spots in a season when you can...

He's probably the best player in baseball most people know next to nothing about.

I know he's only hitting around .260 with only six home runs, but he is having one of the greatest defensive seasons ever by a second baseman. And its not been one of those Derek Jeter type of seasons where he never makes an error but has almost zero range. He has the highest range factor in baseball of any second baseman to play at least 1000 innings. The year he's having now defensively is as good any Ryne Sandberg ever had, so I think that should say it all in terms of how good he's been.

If anyone votes for anybody besides Darwin Barney at gold glove for second base in the NL they should never be allowed to vote for the Gold Glove again because there's nobody else in the NL who can even make a case as to why they deserve it more then Barney.

If they can keep Barney they may have the best double play combo in baseball for years to come with him and Castro who they just locked up. Its just a shame that's the only real positive you can say about the Cubs at this point. Being 15th in the NL in OPS and 14th in ERA is not going to win you alot of games. Alot of changeover is needed on the North Side in order for this team to become competitive again.

Lowest attendance in Target Field history tonight..... 29,281.

Kinda funny how it happened the day they got the ASG.

Hmmm, What can you say, Were the worst team in the AL playing one of the other bad teams. The State Fair is going on. (Our state fair is HUGE, 2nd or 3rd biggest IIRC)It was very hot and humid. I still think its funny though that our record lowest is a good night in Oakland, Baltimore and Tampa.

t5ty54wyetw_zpsubqd9h5t.jpg

St. Paul Pioneers(GHA) Minnesota Skeeters(CL) Minnesota Lake Monsters(UFL)

Hmmm, What can you say, Were the worst team in the AL playing one of the other bad teams. The State Fair is going on. (Our state fair is HUGE, 2nd or 3rd biggest IIRC)It was very hot and humid. I still think its funny though that our record lowest is a good night in Oakland, Baltimore and Tampa.

You forgot Toronto. We get 35 000-40 000 when they're playing the Yankees or Red Sox on a weekend.

Surprised it took that long to see an attendance drop.

Still not quite as loyal/stupid as Cub fans. Comparing the attendance numbers to the onfield product, I'm pretty sure you could hold get punched in the face night, where everyone in attendance gets punched in the face both as they are entering and leaving Wrigley Field, and you would still probably get at least 20,000 people to show up.

Surprised it took that long to see an attendance drop.

Still not quite as loyal/stupid as Cub fans. Comparing the attendance numbers to the onfield product, I'm pretty sure you could hold get punched in the face night, where everyone in attendance gets punched in the face both as they are entering and leaving Wrigley Field, and you would still probably get at least 20,000 people to show up.

I am surprised too. It's a nice ballpark and people were aching for outdoor baseball for three decades so maybe the "place to be" factor has yet to wear off. After one competitive year and two miserable years at Target Field, it's got to happen some time. Last year made sense. There was a big run on season tickets for the new ballpark (wait list, I think) and I doubt many people dropped them for 2011. This year, I have definitely noticed larger areas of empty seats. If the Twins continue to be unwatchable (which they will), it's going to drop.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

You forgot Toronto. We get 35 000-40 000 when they're playing the Yankees or Red Sox on a weekend.

While it's clear Toronto benefits from facing New York/Boston, they usually average at least 30K on Friday/Saturday/Sunday games regardless of the opponent.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

While it's clear Toronto benefits from facing New York/Boston, they usually average at least 30K on Friday/Saturday/Sunday games regardless of the opponent.

I've always liked the Blue Jay fanbase. They don't seem to get too high or low over wins and losses. They support the Jays when they do well and when they're out of it they stop going to games. Teams that are bad have no business selling out games and teams that are good should be drawing well and I see a pretty high correlation between how many games the Blue Jays win and how many fans they draw.

I've always liked the Blue Jay fanbase. . . . Teams that are bad have no business selling out games

Toronto saves that for winter!

Also, your logic is flawed, at least until I find the magic calculator that shows how decreasing a team's revenue makes them better.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I've always liked the Blue Jay fanbase. . . . Teams that are bad have no business selling out games

Toronto saves that for winter!

Also, your logic is flawed, at least until I find the magic calculator that shows how decreasing a team's revenue makes them better.

And increasing a team's revenue doesn't necessarily makes them better either. All depends on how the owner wants to spend it.

Good teams should be supported bad teams shouldn't. That's how I feel and there's nothing that can be said to change it.

Archived