2012 MLB Season

GriffinM6

MLB agrees to extend their ESPN contract through 2021. A formal announcement is scheduled for this afternoon.

Credit SBJ:

ESPN has agreed to a deal that locks down MLB rights into the next decade, according to several sources. The eight-year deal is worth $5.6B (an average of $700M per year), approximately doubling the nearly $306M ESPN currently pays MLB every year for domestic TV rights. The new deal adds in digital, international and radio, for which ESPN is paying MLB around $50M currently, sources said. Sources added the deal will be announced as soon as this afternoon. As part of the deal, which runs through ?21, ESPN retains the rights to "Sunday Night Baseball," its Monday and Wednesday night games and highlights for "Baseball Tonight."

ESPN also will carry one Wild Card playoff game, sources said. In its current deal, ESPN does not have rights to any MLB playoffs. As part of the deal, ESPN adds more digital rights, the rights to show games in-progress and some radio and international rights. ESPN also picked up rights to carry games featuring more popular teams, like the Yankees and Red Sox, more frequently.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Matt Kemp left the game tonight.

Just when it seemed like the Dodgers were primed for a World Series run.

Regardless of what happens to Kemp, Giants fans will still soil their pants throughout the month of September.

6uXNWAo.png

They're claiming it was his knee of all things that led to him coming out of the game. Shouldn't be anything serious. May keep him out of the lineup a day or two but that should be about it.

This also isn't the first time Kemp's been hurt by crashing into a wall. He's gotta learn to lay up on those types of plays. Just look at Jason Bay if you want to know what can happen if you go all out every time on warning track plays.

They're claiming it was his knee of all things that led to him coming out of the game. Shouldn't be anything serious. May keep him out of the lineup a day or two but that should be about it.

This also isn't the first time Kemp's been hurt by crashing into a wall. He's gotta learn to lay up on those types of plays. Just look at Jason Bay if you want to know what can happen if you go all out every time on warning track plays.

So, people complain when athletes play hard, then people complain when athletes play hard.

So, people complain when athletes play hard, then people complain when athletes play hard.

To borrow a line from Infared: "There's no pleasing people!" :P

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

It just might be that those people are not one and the same.

Yadier Molina was hurt (?) in a collision at the plate with the Pirates' Josh Harrison last night.

Here's something I've never understood: You can't block second base and you can't barrel over the second baseman, why is the same not true around home plate? I mean, sure it looks cool and it's one of the most exciting things that happen in this game, but why?

PvO6ZWJ.png

Yadier Molina was hurt (?) in a collision at the plate with the Pirates' Josh Harrison last night.

Here's something I've never understood: You can't block second base and you can't barrel over the second baseman, why is the same not true around home plate? I mean, sure it looks cool and it's one of the most exciting things that happen in this game, but why?

The rule states you can block any base so long as you have the ball or are in the process of catching the ball. It applies for every base but pretty much only happens at home for obvious reasons. You get way more force outs at other bases and nobody is going to risk plowing over a fielder and potentially overrunning the base.

I think it should be illegal in general but on plays like the Yadier one I'm not sure anyone is at fault nor do I know what I would do. It was just a freaky play. I don't think Yadier was trying to block the plate, he just got pulled out of the position he wanted to be in on an off line throw by Beltran. Likewise if your in Harrison's position and you see a catcher coming up the baseline, you have to assume he's trying to block the plate. I thought both guys did exactly what they should have done on that play.

I don't blame the Cardinals too much for retaliating either. I don't know how many times I've seen Ty Wiggington go out of his way to nail a catcher and that was my assumption with Harrison as well until I saw the play several times and realized he basically had no time to slow down or avoid Molina, who's momentum was coming right at him.

As for the Kemp comment, I'm not knocking him for playing too hard, I'm knocking him for not being more aware. The warning track is there for a reason. Slow down unless you want to do your Kamikaze Tanaka impression. Game six of the World Series I wouldn't say a word about it, but in the first inning of a late August game against a last place team? Yeah its not worth the risk.

There's a rumor that the Angels will open next season in Cincinnati. I don't really like that....

Because the Reds will be getting their rings and wearing gold outlined uniforms? ^_^

Now that both leagues will have 15 teams there has to be at least one interleague series going on at all times, including opening weekend. Also, the Reds start every season at home.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Also, the Reds start every season at home.

Really? I did not know that. What's the reason?

Because Cincinnati was the first city with professional baseball. They've started every season at home except for 1990. I'm not sure why they were on the road that year.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Tradition.

I would be in favor of going back to Cincinnati hosting the first game of every season.

But yeah the Reds have to be at home on opening day. Any other team can play a road game that day, but them.

As far as them playing the Angels, again I think the Reds opponents should be restricted to just the other original 7 NL teams, but yeah interleague play year round so somebody has to be the team.

I think its pretty dumb myself as well as the +1 Wild Card format but that's how its going to be for awhile, so get used to it.

Archived