2012 MLB Season

GriffinM6

I only brought up Bartman cause its a similar situation where the single controversial play is remembered more than the situation and the other events around the game. Meaning this bad call (note I said BAD CALL) when one team was up 3 with 5 outs remaining is getting blamed way more than the errors or men left on base. Me bringing that up had zero to do with the cubs.

It was a convenient comparison, then. Regardless, a better comparison happened just a couple weeks ago on Monday Night Football.

That'd be a good comparison had the call been, say, a play at the plate in the bottom of the ninth of a tie game.

I was implying that it came down to a controversial decision made by an official, but nevermind, let's all relive the Bartman thing again. For the lulz and such.

• I wish the entire Cardinals fan collective could just :censored: off. Forever.

I'll pass, thanks.

Rats.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So like the Pirates getting robbed last year, at the Braves. Of course not a playoff game, but it almost seemed that's what turned the Pirates in to typical sucknobs.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

The only proactive thing I could see being done at this point would be what Buster Olney brought up which was to eliminate the left and right field umpires altogether. And I would tend to agree with that. I don't see much of a need for them anymore now that we have instant replay on home runs and they just seem to get in the way more often to negatively effect the game, then actually making good calls that help it.

I don't think that call cost Atlanta the game and I do think the better team won. But I am still of the opinion as is everyone else that it was one of the worst calls I've ever seen. I've watched hundreds maybe even over a thousand baseball games in my lifetime and I've never seen an infield fly rule called on a ball hit like that. And even if you are of the school that the infield fly rule needs to be called more liberally, which I don't know anyone who is besides Sam Holbrook, you don't pick a game like that to start testing out that theory.

Also gotta admire the balls of Sam Holbrook to just flat out deny he screwed up that call royally.

I'm all for full instant replay, but it wouldn't have saved either of the potentially bad and important calls in this game.

One was the Infield Fly Rule that every one wants to talk about. The other is the extremely late time call that nullified strike three leading to a 2-run Braves home run on the next pitch.

In both cases, there's no recourse once the call is made. You really can't go back and reverse it. It's much like an inadvertent whistle in football. Too much changes on the field once that call is made that you can't make any changes.

The controversy over this one is difficult for me. I don't think it was a great call. I think it's questionable and rarely made. I know for a fact that I would still be livid and probably still tweeting obscenities at MLB if this call had gone against the Cardinals.

That said, just because I would have been as upset as Atlanta is does not mean I would have been correct. In fact, I'd likely have been incorrect. This call was not only within the scope of the rule, it appears it was actually enforced in a reasonable manner. Harold Reynolds illustrates this very well in the video in this article (which is written by Jeff Passan commenting after watching Reynold's piece): http://sports.yahoo....6000--mlb.html.

Maybe the rule should be changed. Or maybe not. Afterall, how often would this even come into play (mainly because the catch would be completed by the infielder 99% of the time anyways)?

So I do understand Atlanta's frustration. Man do I ever. I would absolutely have the same reaction. That's what we do as fans. That's definitely what I do. No denying that. But I think this call is defensible even if it's not quite "good".

And again, did this call decide the game? Not even remotely. In addition to the fact that Atlanta still needed to get three runs across the plate, their first 2 runs were something of a gift on a questionable call as I alluded to earlier. We remember the one that happened last, but they both happened. They were both equally within the scope of the rules but not a pleasant interpretation. And they both had a potential big impact. The first one went the Braves way, the second one went the Cardinals way.

This Infield Fly call is getting the sort of attention the hail mary "touchdown" got a few weeks ago, and that's wrong. That call was clearly incorrect, by rule, and directly decided the game. Neither of those stipulations apply to the call that happened last night.

It's unfortunate that the game included so much controversy, but it was no less legitimate of a game for it.

And the umpire plays it cool during the interview.

... At least Denkinger and Joyce admitted they blew it during their controversial calls.

Denkinger actually refused to admit that he blew the call for years. He came clean a few years back, but for a long time would not admit his error.

Well I don't see a problem in keeping LF and RF umpires, but maybe they should only be allowed to make calls of fair/foul, interference, or ground rules.

The big problem I see with them is getting in the way of outfielders trying to catch flyballs, which has happened on more then one occasion.

There's no need for them to call home runs, or plays on the bases and definitely no need for them to call infield fly rules. So that just leaves them with fair or foul calls and interference calls and to me its not worth it having them out there for that one or two plays that can probably be called properly by the first or third base umpire, when they can provide an obstacle for an outfielder and potentially change the outcome of a game for the worse.

In terms of being only able to call the rules you pointed on though, I would be willing to compromise on that.

Who do you guys think will replace Bobby V?

Farrell, probably. I want Mackanin. Or Martinez. Or Lamont. Or Alomar. Or Varitek. Maybe Magadan gets promoted. Or...someone. I'm not enamored with Farrell. At all.

People are tossing Mike Lowell's name around. I don't know...I think Matheny's and Ventura's success this year is really overstepping the "recently retired player as manager" thing. Brad Mills, Brad Ausmus and DeMarlo Hale will probably be interviewed. Torey Lovullo and Mike Maddux, too.

spacer.png

Well while Ausmus to Miami is a rumor for now, Francona to Cleveland is now official.

People will be complaining it wasn't Sandy Alomar...

Cleveland's pro sports teams have now had 16 different coaches/managers since 1999, and that's not even counting interims.

Clevejacked

Maybe the rule should be changed. Or maybe not. Afterall, how often would this even come into play (mainly because the catch would be completed by the infielder 99% of the time anyways)?

It should definitely be written more clearly.

Maybe something along the lines of any pop up that has the potential of creating a force out if dropped.

... that would at least clarify the depth problem. You'd still have a judgment situation there but eliminating this "ordinary effort" thing is good.

There are a few franchises in sports that just seem to get lucky again and again and again. The Pittsburgh Steelers are one, the Detroit Red Wings are one, and the St. Louis Cardinals are one. The Braves handed the Cardinals this game and then as if they hadn't gotten enough breaks, the umpire makes one of the worst calls I've ever seen. Only the Cardinals could drop a fly ball and get an out. Only them.

The Red Wings haven't really been that lucky, though. Just good.

Do you know how many amazing players the Wings have got from the 3rd round and lower? Lidstrom, Fedorov, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and so on.... Yeah, they have good scouting and a very good GM, but that's definitely a bit of luck too. The Wings always get calls to go there way too, so they're a pretty lucky team.

Tigers have runners on 1st and third, no outs, with Cabrera up....

The Wings' legendary low-round drafting was less about luck and more about exploiting inefficiencies in overseas scouting. Fortunate, yes--all draft picks come with the inherent peril of busting--lucky, no. The Cardinals rehabilitate everyone else's busts, screwups, drunks, and otherwise lost souls into minimally functional cogs, and their success rate is way higher than it should be for such a plan.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived