2012 MLB Season

GriffinM6

I don't dislike them or begrudge them their success, it's just that I never felt like the Giants or Tigers were ever the best teams in baseball. I guess the expanded wild card indirectly helped bring about the randomness I suppose we needed. Are we happy with it?

Um, yes we are. If another team besides the Giants was truly the best team in baseball, they'd have proven it in the playoffs, end of story.

The Nationals were 5-1 against San Francisco this year and say "Hello!"

Playoffs in general and baseball playoffs specifically, showcase randomness. The best team doesn't always win. That's why they're so fun. The Giants are a good team and played well at the end and deserve their championship. But I think the idea of "if another team is better, they'd prove it in the playoffs" is silly. You can argue the Giants were the best team in October, but it's a harder argument to make that they were the best team in baseball.

Such is the playoffs.

Congratulations, San Francisco.

Indeed. Look at NCAA Football if you want to cry about Best Team Not Winning. That's why the play the games.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, the randomness thing happens in other sports, too—I don't follow the NHL nearly enough to know about the randomness factor there, but if you want a great example, look at the NFL the past three or four seasons, to say nothing of the past thirteen (see what the St. Louis Rams started??) Who had the Giants—oh wow, two teams named "Giants" are holding titles at the same time, one in New York, the other which used to be—in the Super Bowl this past season? Or the freaking Arizona Cardinals in '08? Point being, randomness isn't just limited to baseball—although, I will say that the sport does have the absolute weirdest quirks out of all of them, and that's what makes it so fun to watch sometimes.

All that said, I now have this question: do the San Francisco Giants now become MLB's newest "hated team"?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

You know, the randomness thing happens in other sports, too—I don't follow the NHL nearly enough to know about the randomness factor there, but if you want a great example, look at the NFL the past three or four seasons, to say nothing of the past thirteen (see what the St. Louis Rams started??) Who had the Giants—oh wow, two teams named "Giants" are holding titles at the same time, one in New York, the other which used to be—in the Super Bowl this past season? Or the freaking Arizona Cardinals in '08? Point being, randomness isn't just limited to baseball—although, I will say that the sport does have the absolute weirdest quirks out of all of them, and that's what makes it so fun to watch sometimes.

All that said, I now have this question: do the San Francisco Giants now become MLB's newest "hated team"?

Even though they just ripped my heart out, I say no. They've won with a group of players who are actually pretty likeable (save Brian Wilson who I don't mind, but I can see why so many have a problem with him). At least for me, the Cardinals, Yankees, Red Sox, and Phillies are the current "Legion of Douchebaggery". I'm not big fan of the Cubs either, but they're not a threat so they don't make the list.

In coming years the Red Sox might fall out of that if they continue this downward spiral and I could see the Nationals, Dodgers, and Pirates (if they ever get good) making the list.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The Giants fall in the uncanny valley between "wire-to-wire dominance" and "barely made it in and won against all odds." It's like a 5 seed winning in the NBA.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

And for that matter, has a 5-seed ever won the NBA title? Anyone know?

I know of at least one 6-seed that's won a Super Bowl...happened just a few years ago.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I know of at least one 6-seed that's won a Super Bowl...happened just a few years ago.

I believe the 95 Rockets were a 6 seed.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Nope. Haven't even had one make the finals. But then the NBA tournament is the least plinko-like postseason by far. Even "madcap playoff upset runs" such as the 1995 Rockets or 1999 Knicks tend to at least have an experienced core backing them up

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Oh, I can't go that far. They just ran into a buzz saw.

No they ran into a chain saw. But only because they stopped and helped the Giants start the saw, then politely guided the blade right into their bellies. The Giants aren't winning this series so mich as they're letting the Giants win. This is not the same Detroit team that manhandled the A's and Yanks.

Oh come on now. I know you don't want to, but you really have to give the Giants more credit than that.

Not really. Having watched them several times in person this season against the A's and Padres I was not overly impressed by them. Not saying they're not good, but Detroit was better. Then they took a week off and decided they didn't want to play anymore.

That was then, this is now. Maybe they weren't pitching well earlier in the season and are just peaking now, but so what? That's sport.

Even an A's fan has to give the Giants credit for the way they're pitching now. This isn't Detroit losing the Series, this is San Francisco winning it.

Nope. Not giving them credit for :censored:. They got lucky in the playoffs due to the randomness of them and Detroit getting cold during their week off. Nothing more. They still weren't the best team this year.

They've been the Red Sox West since 2010, this just confirms it. In no small part due to their fans who are just as obnoxious as the Red Sox nation, if not more so because they're almost all bandwagoners who couldn't tell you what a ground rule double is.

Nope. Not giving them credit for :censored:.

I think that says a lot more about you than it does them.

I get it; they're a rival to two of your teams. But even I had to admit that the '85 Bears were a good team.

Complaining about another team's fanbase while exhibiting what might charitably called "poor sportsmanship" hardly helps your case. ;)

They've been the Red Sox West since 2010, this just confirms it. In no small part due to their fans who are just as obnoxious as the Red Sox nation, if not more so because they're almost all bandwagoners who couldn't tell you what a ground rule double is.

So are you a blowhard or windbag? You decide

You're crying about Giants fans being on the bandwagon. You're a Patriots fan for gods sake. Shut up you silly fool.

No they ran into a chain saw. But only because they stopped and helped the Giants start the saw, then politely guided the blade right into their bellies. The Giants aren't winning this series so mich as they're letting the Giants win. This is not the same Detroit team that manhandled the A's and Yanks.

Oh come on now. I know you don't want to, but you really have to give the Giants more credit than that.

Not really. Having watched them several times in person this season against the A's and Padres I was not overly impressed by them. Not saying they're not good, but Detroit was better. Then they took a week off and decided they didn't want to play anymore.

That was then, this is now. Maybe they weren't pitching well earlier in the season and are just peaking now, but so what? That's sport.

Even an A's fan has to give the Giants credit for the way they're pitching now. This isn't Detroit losing the Series, this is San Francisco winning it.

Nope. Not giving them credit for :censored:. They got lucky in the playoffs due to the randomness of them and Detroit getting cold during their week off. Nothing more. They still weren't the best team this year.

Geez, there's bitter, then there's this guy.

BB52Big.jpg

You're crying about Giants fans being on the bandwagon. You're a Patriots fan for gods sake. Shut up you silly fool.

Been a Pats fan since '93. Wasn't much of a team to bandwagon on back then ;). Hell I still rock my Rob Edwards jersey and he blew his knee out long before Brady was on the scene. So try again.

Geez, there's bitter, then there's this guy.

You'll find most A's fans are bitter. The Giants are trying to destroy or force out our team. And their fans are obnoxious to ours, more so since 2010 than ever before. There's really not much to like.

Archived