2012 MLB Season

GriffinM6

Except there are always exceptions to that rule.

I'll point out two easy examples: Rangers/Rays in the 2010 ALDS, and then Rays/Rangers in the 2011 ALDS. The offensive juggernaut beat the pitching juggernaut both times. That old baseball saying is not nearly as cut-and-dried as one would be led to believe.

Who said it was cut and dry? Anyway, when a staff is pitching like this Giants staff is, I don't care who's in your lineup, you're not going to beat them.

And yet the Reds were very close to sweeping the Giants and their vaunted staff out of the playoffs in the opening round.

And I'll stick with my Rays example - probably the best overall pitching in the American League over the past five seasons, and they have a 11-14 playoff record to show for it, including an ugly 5-8 record at home. Their three playoff series losses all came to hard-hitting teams.

Yeah, when you have a staff as good as San Francisco's pitching as insanely good as it's pitching right now, you're right - no one's beating them. But everyone, including Giants fans, must concede that it's a remarkable stroke of luck that their pitching has peaked in October now twice in the past three seasons. I dunno, maybe it's a just reward for not winning a World Series since 1954.

spacer.png

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, when you have a staff as good as San Francisco's pitching as insanely good as it's pitching right now, you're right - no one's beating them. But everyone, including Giants fans, must concede that it's a remarkable stroke of luck that their pitching has peaked in October now twice in the past three seasons. I dunno, maybe it's a just reward for not winning a World Series since 1954.

That's all I'm trying to say. When a pitching staff is on like the Giants are, good pitching will beat good hitting every time. Obviously, no staff can pitch like this for an entire season. In a playoff series, it's all about which aspect of your team is clicking. In the Rangers - Rays series, the Rays staff didn't "get hot", or even pitch to their regular season level, and we saw the result.

It's really simple; there is no "conventional baseball wisdom" that's 100% accurate. But if you want to keep arguing, I suppose we can.

BB52Big.jpg

The Reds beat the Giants 9-0 in game 2 of the NLDS. I never imagined that Giants team would be the ones to win the World Series. They just did not look like they had anything.

If the Giants finish this sweep (currently down 2-1) then this will be one of the most forgettable World Series. The real story of their championship will be their comebacks in the NLDS and NLCS.

I have to be fair to the Cardinals fans on this board because I've talked a lot about how fortunate they've been getting to watch two world series from less than dominant teams, but the same thing needs to be said about the Giants. They have good pitching, but do they have pitching that ranks among the best staffs of all time? Not even close. Their lineup is pedestrian as well and almost completely different from the one that won two years ago. I think this is just the era we're in. You don't have to be great to win the World Series anymore. You just have to be playing well at the right time and for the Giants to be that team two years out of three is a crazy string of good fortune. So is 6-0 in games facing elimination. You don't go 6-0 in elimination games without some magic on your side.

/still bitter

PvO6ZWJ.png

But everyone, including Giants fans, must concede that it's a remarkable stroke of luck that their pitching has peaked in October now twice in the past three seasons. I dunno, maybe it's a just reward for not winning a World Series since 1954.

Sure, but so what? Doesn't mean that they're not winning these games on their own merits.

Good teams peak at the right time. The Packers didn't look very good at times during 2010, and yet when the playoffs came around they were un-freaking-stoppable. Last year, the Packers were good in the regular season but fell to another middle-of-the-pack team that peaked at the right moment.

But yeah, I hate counting outs. Especially in a game that could conceivably have an indefinite number of them.

Did this a little while ago on Facebook, may as well do it here too.

Bold prediction: If the Tigers win this game, they'll win the series.

I mean, someone's gotta be "that guy", right? ;)

No, I swear I'm not trying to be the typical idiot that always comes along and says something like that. I actually believe it. If the Giants run out of whatever magic has gotten them this far, that magic will be gone for good. That's not a knock on the Giants (I'm rooting for them to win the series.) All I'm saying is rolls like the one they're on always end. If the Giants don't win tonight, I think their roll ends and I honestly believe Detroit will have a serious shot at coming back from a 3-0 deficit.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived