2011-12 NHL Season

njmeadowlanders

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gary Bettman has no clue

This post has been brought to you by Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

So unless PHX moves to Quebec City. Right now Eastern Teams have a 57% chance at making the playoffs, western teams have a 50% chance. I'm sure they'll throw Detroit or Columbus over to the east before next season.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

So unless PHX moves to Quebec City. Right now Eastern Teams have a 57% chance at making the playoffs, western teams have a 50% chance. I'm sure they'll throw Detroit or Columbus over to the east before next season.

You make it sound like they are random odds. No matter which conference you are in, you still need to be one of the top 4 teams.

You make it sound like they are random odds. No matter which conference you are in, you still need to be one of the top 4 teams.

And I'm sure the conference schedule is such that you can control your own destiny for that.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I like it because every team will pass through your favorite teams arena at least once

Anyhoo just for fun here is last years standings using the new realignment plan:

(I know the new plan was necessary because of Atlanta's move to Winnipeg and of course the point total would have been totally different had they played under the new schedule format)

Atlantic

Washington - 107

Philadelphia - 106

Pittsburgh - 106

N.Y. Rangers - 93

Carolina - 91

New Jersey - 81

Atlanta - 80

N.Y. Islanders - 73

Northeast

Boston - 103

Tampa Bay - 103

Montreal - 96

Buffalo - 96

Toronto - 85 points

Ottawa - 74 points

Florida - 72 points

Central

Detroit - 104

Nashville - 99

Chicago - 97

Dallas - 95

St. Louis - 87

Minnesota - 86

Columbus - 81

Pacific

Vancouver - 117

San Jose - 105

Anaheim - 99

Phoenix - 99

Los Angeles - 98

Calgary - 94

Colorado - 68

Edmonton - 62

The new "Central" division is a major improvement for the Wild. Don't get me wrong, I love staying up until 11PM or midnight to watch them play divisional games. But this new division will allow for more natural rivalries to form with Detroit, Chicago, Winnipeg, etc. Congratulations to the NHL for fixing what, in my opinion, was very broken.

Patrick, Adams, Norris, Smythe or we riot.

No, we are done honoring owners who spent their careers crushing player rights and resisting expansion.

That's not a bad reason to honor someone in today's NHL...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

The new realignment is better (I especially like the new playoff format), but I would have divided the divisions up a little differently:

Northeast

Ottawa

Buffalo

Montreal

New York Rangers

New York Islanders

New Jersey

Boston

Atlantic

Philadelphia

Washington

Pittsburgh

Nashville

Carolina

Tampa Bay

Florida

Central

Detroit

Toronto

Chicago

Columbus

Minnesota

St. Louis

Winnipeg

Dallas

West

Vancouver

San Jose

Anaheim

Phoenix

Los Angeles

Calgary

Colorado

Edmonton

The new "Central" division is a major improvement for the Wild. Don't get me wrong, I love staying up until 11PM or midnight to watch them play divisional games. But this new division will allow for more natural rivalries to form with Detroit, Chicago, Winnipeg, etc. Congratulations to the NHL for fixing what, in my opinion, was very broken.

No doubt. Lining Minnesota up with most of its former Norris Division opponents is great. It's always been a bummer to have the Wild and T-Wolves out west. This creates better geographic rivalry, and as you say, better timing for most road games. It was the Wild's "rivalries" that caused the old schedule format to really rub me the wrong way. (And count me in the half that prefers to play every team once at home and once on the road).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

You're not taking Philly or Pittsburgh from the Devils/Islanders/Rags...

So that doesn't work.

If you're trying to do it geographically, you have to split them up.

Here was my other idea... this is probably my dream scenario...

Atlantic

Washington

Buffalo

Philadelphia

Pittsburgh

New York Rangers

New York Islanders

New Jersey

Boston

Midwest/Southeast (Rejects) Division

St. Louis

Dallas

Columbus

Nashville

Carolina

Tampa Bay

Florida

North

Detroit

Toronto

Chicago

Montreal

Minnesota

Buffalo

Ottawa

West

Vancouver

San Jose

Anaheim

Phoenix

Los Angeles

Calgary

Colorado

Edmonton

Points of emphasis:

- No geographic oddities

- Keeps most of the historically significant or financially rivalries in tact. For those that are severed (such as Montreal/Boston), they are replaced with other historically relevant rivalries that have been dormant (such as Habs/Wings or Habs/Hawks).

- Teams like Columbus and Nashville lose those "moneymaking" games against Chicago/Detroit/etc... but will recover lost profit from playoff games by being placed in a weaker division and the establishment of geographically significant rivalries.

Archived