New Memphis Grizzlies logo

txhockeyfan

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well with any logo released in today's world you'll have those who like it and those who hate it. Apparently, I'm just one of the few who like it.

I'm fine with the logo in general. I'm not debating that...

You said it's out of the box. There's absolutely nothing that is new stylisticly, it's not particularly creative, and it's not really unique, NBA or otherwise. That's what I'm sayin'. It's a bear head. A well executed, but rather vanilla bear head. That's all.

Well, simplicity is one thing. So is technically sound drawing. But poor identity and design choices (IMHO) are quite another thing.

First of all, if the Memphis Grizzlies were so gung-ho about giving themselves an identity overhaul, they should have changed everything... including the team name. I never understood the sense in naming the World Football League's Memphis franchise the Grizzlies, nor did it make any sense to maintain the name when the National Basketball Association's Vancouver club relocated to Tennessee. At its greatest extent, the grizzly bear's territorial range extended from the Mid-Plains westward to California, and from Central Mexico northward into Canada. In other words, the beast has never called the Memphis area home. Call me a stickler, but I'd have preferred for the basketball team's management to reposition the franchise's identity package when they moved to Tennessee. Why not embrace an identity unique to the Memphis area?

Given that they've already committed to what I consider the questionable choice of maintaining the Grizzlies name, the least they could have done was to commission a logo that in some way, shape or form communicates the ferocity and aggression of their namesake mascot. This logo falls miserably short in fulfilling that goal.

The "Blue Jays" type-face is far too modernistic a font to effectively communicate a feeling of the grizzly bear's wilderness home. What's more, it's crisp, clean and rigid style does nothing to convey a sense of animalistic ferocity. As for the bear itself, the rendering is like something you'd see in a late-1950s/early-1960s, stylized Disney cartoon. This so-called "grizzly" doesn't look ferocious, aggressive or dangerous. Rather, the bear depicted in the new Memphis logo appears... petulant. You want words to describe this bear? Try sulky or mopey. Frankly, the bear in this logo is wearing the exact same facial expression that my nephew displays after he's had a tantrum. Does the logo communicate the awe-inspiring power, strength and ferocity of a grizzly bear on the attack? No. What it communicates is the self-absorbed scowl of a five-year-old child taking a "time out" in the corner.

What's more, I don't think that a Blue, Powder Blue and Gold palette is going to do much to amp up the aggression of the overall design.

The result is, sadly, "Meh."

Brian in Boston

That's what they should've done GMS, no doubt...

Well, if there's something good that comes of Memphis' new logo, it's that if you put a wide-brimmed hat on him, it would prevent forest fires.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

i was fooling around in photoshop after my post about the colours and if i remember what pantone said and i had to wager a guess i would do the head this way...

griz.gif

GDB... Brothers from other Mothers

www.pifflespodcast.com

Well I must say, the golden-dark blue face looks MUCH better than the two toned blue face. I hope they reconsider. The detail of the logo gets lost in the two-toned face. With the gold-blue they stand out and you can really see the logo and make it stand out but the two-toner makes you see the yellow outline which comes to your eyes first, then a blue blobbish-heart in the middle.

Here's my guess.... I didn't know powder blue was in the cards, though.

gizzliesnew.gif

this is kinda what i was thinkin too

OMG, please not another Nuggets color combo. I :puke: enough when as it is when I have to look at Melo's ugly face!

BTW - BS - 18 posts today? Not bad

Thank You but I have a long way to go to catch up to your pitiful 96!

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

Actually, there's three different shades of blue, with navy as the primary shade. And from what I see, it looks like an ABA logo. What a sorry-@$$ concept for a logo...or is this a distraction from what the real logo will look like?

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

Here's my guess.... I didn't know powder blue was in the cards, though.

gizzliesnew.gif

this is kinda what i was thinkin too

OMG, please not another Nuggets color combo. I :puke: enough when as it is when I have to look at Melo's ugly face!

BTW - BS - 18 posts today? Not bad

Thank You but I have a long way to go to catch up to your pitiful 96!

Must be rough having to watch him on national TV when they make the playoffs, huh? Bouyah! :D

Rumor has it he's tappin' Xtina, too... good for him. :P

It's not offensively bad or impressively good...it just feels inadequate.

I agree that they should have gone with a new identity from the start, but then again, the NBA isn't exactly a stickler for regional accuracy in team names (see: Utah Jazz, LA Lakers, Nawlins Hornets).

That said, the logo is too vanilla. It would be nice for a company or something, but it's not very sporting at all. If I didn't know the Grizzlies were a basketball team, the logo could mean anything (or nothing) to me.

It could be worse, however (as endless bear-related minor league logos have shown us).

Archived