New USA Basketball logo

illini1

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You all have to stop throwing the word iconic around. Nothing in the thread is iconic. My wife hates baseball but she knows the Yankee NY when she sees it. That is an iconic logo. Take away the word basketball from that logo and she will have no idea what it is for. You are a sports fan looking at a familiar sports logo. That does not make it iconic.

I don't see what's wrong with calling something "iconic" if you view it as such - what is "iconic" is completely up to an individual. I see that crest, and instantly think of the Dream Team and Olympic dominance. Thus, it's iconic to me, even if it wouldn't be to your wife. Some look at Humphrey Bogart and consider him an iconic actor, whereas my brother doesn't even know who the guy is. Some may consider Dark Side of the Moon to be an iconic album, while others may not like it. Iconic status isn't really universal - there are just some things that more people deem iconic than others. It is, again, all up to the individual.

When a vast majority sees a logo and knows what it is, it's iconic. Only a fan knows that logo. The Golden Arches, that's iconic.

Seems like a progression from this logo, also found on the USA Basketball site...

partner_hdr.jpg

Hmmmmmm, gold would be somewhat intriguing. However I would prefer that they stick to red white blue and maybe grey/silver. The gold color just kind of doesn't look good can't really say why.

To me it looks like a toned-down version of the Seattle Sounders crest...which I guess supports a lot of people saying it reminds them more of soccer than basketball...

And I have to agree with knnhrvy...as long as they don't touch the Star-ball I'll reserve my judgment.

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

The old USA basketball logo iconic? First of all to be iconic, it has to be great and something worthy of worshipping. The old USA basketball logo is passable at best. Iconic, not even close. I'm not sure how anyone can call this iconic, just because they've been lazy and used an average logo for so many years. You guys are calling this logo an icon like Jon Koncak was an icon for centers.

2) I know it was there on the previous logo, but is the word "BASKETBALL" truly necessary? There's already a basketball in the logo, and if this thing truly is meant to be a "badge" then to me, it seems a bit redundant, not to mention superfluous.

I'm presuming that it's an organization logo for USA Basketball and not just a team logo; to me, then, it would definitely be necessary.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

And I thought that USA how they had it would have looked great on a uniform. But the logo itself is a definite upgrade. This thread was the first time I'd ever seen someone on here say they actually liked the logo. Maybe there are just people that like it because it's gone now, but that was just a flat out bad logo.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Other than that ugly USA script, that isn't a bad uniform.

Of course, it's the most prominent thing on the jerseys. So... other than that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived