Your 2012 National Hockey Lockout Thread

Lee.

Flames just acquired Dennis Wideman from the Caps for prospect Jordan Henry and a 5th round pick in 2013. Then precede to sign Wideman to a 5 year deal, worth 5.25 million per.

The :censored:

Thank you Calgary!! :hockeysmiley:

Tweet from popular Caps blog Japers Rink says it all.

"Man... so glad the Caps are literally thousands of miles away from Dennis Wideman's new contract."

I was so down with the trade, it's only a minor prospect and a 5th. Plus if we can get Wideman signed to like a 3 year, 15 million or what not, I'm down. I could understand Sutter and signing Jay freaking Bouwmeester to a big deal, but Dennis Wideman to a monster deal, more than likely with an NMC.

Feaster how much brain do you have left? And this also takes us out of the Justin Schultz sweepstakes. Watch him resign Olli Jokinen and Cory Sarich now, he already resigned Blake Comeau.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, you know, the reality of the floor/ceiling system is that sometimes players will be grossly overpaid in order to reach the league minimum payroll.

Oh wait, the Flames signed Wideman to this? bahahahahahaha what a bucket of dumb

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The reaction to Calgary's 9th Place finish in the Conference standings next season is going to be wondrous to behold.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I wonder whose calamitous downfall I will enjoy more, Calgary's or San Jose's. All you gotta do is get there! Go for the bronze, -5!

What will make it worse is if Feaster trades Jay Bouwmeester. If he's still around whenever Hockey starts again, I won't feel as shi**y about the deal.

Brendan Shanahan and Pat Burns both snubbed.

Shanahan was ever the best player on his team. Sometimes, not even the second best.

And Pat Burns was never an elite coach. Not even close.

6uXNWAo.png

They say MSG (which I'm gonna guess is way nicer than most of the rinks in Russia) is "no longer suited to modern hockey"... so they choose a basketball arena to cram an ice rink into instead.

Those crazy Russians.

But then again the Islanders said that too..

Manchester-City-icon.png

Calgary reminds me of the Pistons over the past few years, consistently paying way too much for mediocrity. I'm not even a diehard hockey fan and I loudly guffawed at that contract.

I mean, seriously - who let Joe Dumars start calling the shots on the Flames' roster? B)

Hey, you know who the Sharks remind me of? The Detroit Pistons. They built an elite team out of top-draft-pick veterans (Thornton 1st, Marleau 2nd, Heatley 2nd, Malhotra 7th -- Billups 3rd, Hamilton 7th, Sheed 4th, McDyess 2nd) and were able to contend for several years in a row with their veteran core until too much time went by and the vaunted "veteran core" became "old guys." Meanwhile, Joe Dumars went from one of the best executives in the league to one of the worst, a guy whose paradoxical mix of big moves (Billups for Iverson) and no moves (sitting back and watching Rip Hamilton age in dog years) have dug the Pistons into a terrible hole that they'll be in for years. Oh, and I don't think they've drafted particularly well, either. Hmm.

So yeah, this year for the Sharks kind of reminds me of the out-with-a-whimper season the Pistons had in 2009, where they squeaked into the playoffs just to get crushed. Regardless of how this year goes for the Sharks (well, unless they win it all), they need to clean house: Doug Wilson out (and he's another dumb old bastard who can go screw himself), McLellan out, Thornton, Marleau, Boyle, Havlat, Unfrozen Caveman Defenseman, all out. Load up on picks/prospects for these guys, and make Couture and Pavelski your veteran core. Jamie McGinn was another guy who seemed like he was going to break through, but they just traded him for lumbering doofus Daniel Winnik, so never mind. Their spoiled fanbase probably can't reckon with a full-scale rebuild after almost 20 years of playoff berths and elite teams, but it's necessary for the mess they're in.

aw screw it they're just gonna trade for Rick Nash

How does Jay Feaster still have a job?

To be honest. More times then not, I believe it's the ownership that makes these messed up calls.

But yeah, he's on his last legs.

Shanahan was ever the best player on his team. Sometimes, not even the second best.

I think his 3 Jack Adams Trophies (with 3 different teams) which is the record and Stanley Cup prove otherwise.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Oh God, I hope so.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

So? Jari Kurri was the best player on his team maybe once in his entire career. Shanahan is 13th all-time in goals and 25th all-time in points, which indisputably should get you in.

Burns won the Jack Adams three times, the only coach in history to do so. Oh, and he did it with three different teams. And won a Cup with his fourth team.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

So? Jari Kurri was the best player on his team maybe once in his entire career. Shanahan is 13th all-time in goals and 25th all-time in points, which indisputably should get you in.

Burns won the Jack Adams three times, the only coach in history to do so. Oh, and he did it with three different teams. And won a Cup with his fourth team.

Kurri did have the distiction of being the highest scoring Euro when he retired and had some eye popping numbers along the way. Kurri had 6 100 point seasons to Shanahan's 1. Kurri had 2 50 + goal season 1 60+ goal season and 1 70+ goal season. Shanahan hit 50 twice. Kurri also lead the league in goal in the regular season once and in the playoffs 4 times, Shanahan did neither. Kurri has 6 10+ goal playoffs, Shanahan never did.

Both Shanahan and Kurri are all time greats. Shanahan will be a Hall of Famer (very likely next year) he just isn't a 1st balloter.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Archived