First NFL Team to Wear a Sleeve Logo

BlueSky

This pic is from 1967. Did any other teams wear a sleeve logo prior to this? Seems like a departure from the NFL norm for that era. If there had been a web and a CCSLC I'm sure it would've sparked a 30-page debate. :D

4785962.jpg

The dates aren't always accurate on these but the pic is marked 11/5/67 and the Falcons did play that day at the Cotton Bowl.

Oddly enough, looks like the sleeve birds were gone by the next season.

2157342.jpg

Jack Pardee (#32) is either happy or delivering a sermon. :P

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

'37 Redskins were the first, I believe. Didn't the Falcons also have the logo in '66, except it was the normal black instead of white?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

'37 Redskins were the first, I believe. Didn't the Falcons also have the logo in '66, except it was the normal black instead of white?

Yes, and I had Saints on the brain thinking the Falcons came into the NFL in '67. It was '66 and you're right:

falconsnobiscard.jpg

Looked better in black.

You'd think I'd have realized that since their fantastic throwbacks are based on the '66 unis. DOH!

Throwback-3.jpg

Yes, and I had Saints on the brain thinking the Falcons came into the NFL in '67. It was '66 and you're right:

falconsnobiscard.jpg

Looked better in black.

You'd think I'd have realized that since their fantastic throwbacks are based on the '66 unis. DOH!

Throwback-3.jpg

proof that simplicity and the right balance of colors does more to make a great football uniform than any piping/sublimation/contrasting panels will ever do.

Throwback-3.jpg

Best uniform in football, right now. Hope it didn't get "nike-ed" away, but it probably did.

On a different note, I absolutely loved those L.A. Rams uniforms. They were/are total classics. You can't think of the Fearsome Foursome or Roman Gabriel without thinking of those unis.

Couldn't agree more. This is one of my favorite football pics ever...they're playing outside on a beautiful sunny afternoon, the unis, the sense of motion, the greatness of the players in it...pretty awesome example of the NFL in the '60s.

3246246.jpg

These kinds of conversations are what I love about this board. Where else would sleeve patches matter so much?

And those Falcons throwbacks could do with replacing the NFL Equipment shield (which I think is gone now) with a wordmark, just so it looks less generic as a replica, but they seriously are beauties. I've always loved that helmet.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Archived