The Nordiques unused jerseys

spyboy1

You couldn't pay me to strike up a conversation with a stranger at the grocery store. Being talked to whilst shopping is one of my biggest pet peeves. If I wanted your thoughts on my oatmeal, I'd have asked you, except I wouldn't have, because like I said, it's weird. Even if he's wearing a purple/teal/black unused Nordiques sweater!

I think the weirder thing is that the person in the Nordiques jersey actually looked in his closet that day for an outfit to wear to the supermarket, bypassed all of his t-shirts and polos, and settled on a hockey jersey.

ive done it

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You couldn't pay me to strike up a conversation with a stranger at the grocery store. Being talked to whilst shopping is one of my biggest pet peeves. If I wanted your thoughts on my oatmeal, I'd have asked you, except I wouldn't have, because like I said, it's weird. Even if he's wearing a purple/teal/black unused Nordiques sweater!

I think the weirder thing is that the person in the Nordiques jersey actually looked in his closet that day for an outfit to wear to the supermarket, bypassed all of his t-shirts and polos, and settled on a hockey jersey.

ive done it

I do it regularly. It's become a calling card for me.

"You know John?"

"I don't know, what's he look like?"

"he's the guy who always wears the hockey jerseys."

"Ohhhhh, they hockey jersey guy? Yeah, I know him."

happens all the time in my life

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Everybody's got to have an idiom.

Myself, I don't think hockey jerseys look flattering on anybody who less than 6' tall and weighs more than 125 lbs. Even in the new Edge cut, they even manage to make the athletes themselves look fat.

They're the flip side of basketball singlets to me; look good in context but very silly on the street.

I usually jersey up when I am giving final exams in the Gym, and often encourage my students to wear their favourites. The unis are bright, noticeable, give the group a bit of an identity, and the students usually laugh their a$$es off when I wear any of my Maple Leafs gear! This is what I get for living and working in the land of "We are all Canucks"...

P.S.: Anybody wondering what's in The Admiral's grocery cart this week? :P

I can haz sig?

The weirdest thing about in-game apparel is that unless you own formalwear, it's likely the most expensive article of clothing you own, and yet it occupies the opposite end of the clothing continuum. I'd go find a Blackhawks sweater to drown in but I don't want to pay like $200 for something I'd just sit around eating pizza in :(

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

ive done it

I do it regularly. It's become a calling card for me.

"You know John?"

"I don't know, what's he look like?"

"he's the guy who always wears the hockey jerseys."

"Ohhhhh, they hockey jersey guy? Yeah, I know him."

happens all the time in my life

A girl said that about me in like 8th grade and I immediately stopped wearing them for like 2 yrs. In high school I would only wear a Leafs or Avalanche jersey on the days they were playing the Wings.

I wore them more in college. But now a days I usually just hang my new addition up with the rest of the collection.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

I wear my Devils Kovalchuck sweater to the grocery store all the time. One of my parents works there.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

Back in '96, I believe, I wore either my Jets or Coyotes jersey to the grocery store. As I was checking out, this kid I went to school with - a Mighty Ducks fan - yells out to me "Tverdovsky's an idiot!" over and over. I believe he had been traded from Anaheim to Winnipeg, and apparently this kid didn't appreciate it. I stood there baffled and mildly embarrassed at the weak, yet still spiteful verbal assault. I paid, muttered something like "Heh, alright.." then left.

Anyway, all these posts about wearing a jersey to the grocery store immediately reminded me of this off-putting situation. Your teen years are awkward enough without someone yelling at you for a trade you had nothing to do with. ^_^

I never liked the kid.

qvAvG.jpg

Back in '96, I believe, I wore either my Jets or Coyotes jersey to the grocery store. As I was checking out, this kid I went to school with - a Mighty Ducks fan - yells out to me "Tverdovsky's an idiot!" over and over. I believe he had been traded from Anaheim to Winnipeg, and apparently this kid didn't appreciate it. I stood there baffled and mildly embarrassed at the weak, yet still spiteful verbal assault. I paid, muttered something like "Heh, alright.." then left.

Anyway, all these posts about wearing a jersey to the grocery store immediately reminded me of this off-putting situation. Your teen years are awkward enough without someone yelling at you for a trade you had nothing to do with. ^_^

I never liked the kid.

Haha, dear Lord I remember that. Out of all the players ever, Tverdovsky??? Quite hilarious.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

I never liked the kid.

Haha, dear Lord I remember that. Out of all the players ever, Tverdovsky??? Quite hilarious.

I KNOW! I should have been the one lobbing insults, I was angry Selanne got traded. I feel like he had a better career than Oleg Tverdovsky. Just one man's humble opinion..

qvAvG.jpg

Forgive the slightly off-topic ramble, but... A Cubs home cap has been my "trademark" for the longest time, and it always generates conversation at grocery stores or anywhere else we go, to the point where my wife usually shakes her head and says "you and that Cubs hat" after another bizarre encounter. No idea why so many people always want to talk Cubs, but this year has been a real struggle trying to find different caps to wear, because I knew going into this season that they weren't going to be anything I wanted to talk about, or really even support. It's not a fair-weather thing, because I think I've done it almost daily since at least 1996, and there's been plenty of bad seasons in there, but for various reasons (Ricketts in general, delusional fans, Theo as the latest "savior") I'm trying really hard to avoid wearing any Cubs gear this season, including the cap. Puts a dent in my options.

As far as jerseys, they are game-only for me, but I'm even starting to waver on that and thinking about displays instead.

I don't really mind people wearing their uniforms to the grocery store. I work at Save-On-Foods and this one guy comes in all the time wearing his 90's Canucks salmon jersey and it makes my day everytime.

sport-scarf_celtic-2_zps105bfcbf.png

I don't have anywhere better to put this, but I just started watching Twin Peaks and Lara Flynn Boyle's character wears a Hartford Whalers sweater sans crest in the second episode. Telling your mom that you're happy your best friend died so you can steal her boyfriend is also an inappropriate time to wear a hockey sweater.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Back in '96, I believe, I wore either my Jets or Coyotes jersey to the grocery store. As I was checking out, this kid I went to school with - a Mighty Ducks fan - yells out to me "Tverdovsky's an idiot!" over and over. I believe he had been traded from Anaheim to Winnipeg, and apparently this kid didn't appreciate it.

So Tversovsky's an idiot for something that he had no say in? :P Didn't he end up winning the Cup with the Devils against the Ducks? I may have him confused with Jeff Frieson.

Back on (off?) topic: I often wear a Ducks jersey when I'm working on my Dad's market stall. Maybe it is odd considering where I live, but if that guy on the other stall is going to wear his West Ham United shirt, then I can wear my Anaheim Ducks jersey. I used to get the occasional stupid kid shouting "YO MARDY DOCKS" at me, but it's also been a good conversation starter: I once had a guy walking past say something like "The Anaheim Ducks, they really are mighty!" and more recently I had a customer from Toronto, said he was a Leafs fan, and we talked about how Giguere didn't work out so well for them :lol:

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

The only hockey jersey I get comments on is my '89 Whalers road jersey - even in this small, backwards British town I'll get shouts of "Go Whale!" on the rare occasions I wear it.

Did have a fun experience at an old job - I was working in a theme park, and one weekend we had to wear red clothing. Only suitable item I had was an old Canadiens sweater, and it just so happened that the first family on my ride that day were from Montreal... Ended up talking to the dad about hockey for a good hour whilst his kids enjoyed the park.

I wear jerseys to college a lot. We have self-proclaimed "jersey days" when we encourage our classmates to wear their jerseys, and we even nicknamed one of our class groups "The Jersey Boys" The jersey I get the most comments on from strangers is my Cape Breton Screaming Eagles jersey. I get at least one comment every time I wear it.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived