The Road to Omaha

Seadragon76

It's that time again... The Road to Omaha begins next weekend.

First thing, though, is the 16 regional sites that were announced today. Those sites are...

-Arizona

-Baylor

-Florida

-Florida State

-LSU

-Miami of Florida

-North Carolina

-North Carolina State

-Oregon

-Purdue (Played at Gary, Indiana)

-Rice

-Stanford

-South Carolina

-Texas A&M

-UCLA

-Virginia

This also means those 16 are already in the tourny. So, let the speculation about the at-large bids begin!

(BTW, if Utah Valley gets hosed... There are going to be issues. No way you don't give an at-large bid to a team that had a 32 game winning streak)

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is the Purdue regional going to be played at US Steel Yard?

Yes it is.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

(BTW, if Utah Valley gets hosed... There are going to be issues. No way you don't give an at-large bid to a team that had a 32 game winning streak)

That's my school! :D I sure hope they make it, certainly the best team the school has ever fielded. Those guys can really play.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

If moving the regional was prompted by concerns about attendance and logistics, they might as well have kept it in West Lafayette. Nobody's going to go to Gary for fear of getting shot.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

If moving the regional was prompted by concerns about attendance and logistics, they might as well have kept it in West Lafayette. Nobody's going to go to Gary for fear of getting shot.

Swing and a miss... The regional was moved because of construction going on at Purdue's ballpark in West Lafayette.

Time to reveal the brackets... First off, the national seeds:

1. Florida

2. UCLA

3. Florida State

4. Baylor

5. Oregon

6. North Carolina

7. LSU

8. South Carolina

Then, the regionals:

Gainesville Regional

-Bethune Cookman vs. Florida

-College of Charleston vs. Georgia Tech

Raleigh Regional

-Sacred Heart vs. NC State

-UNC Wilimington vs. Vanderbilt

Charlottesville Regional

-Army vs. Virginia

-Appalanchian State vs. Oklahoma

Columbia Regional

-Manhattan vs. South Carolina

-Coastal Carolina vs. Clemson

Los Angeles Regional

-Creighton vs. UCLA

-New Mexico vs. San Diego

College Station Regional

-Dayton vs. Texas A&M

-Ole Miss vs. TCU

Coral Gables Regional

-Stony Brook vs. Miami (Florida)

-Missouri State vs. UCF

Baton Rouge Regional

-UL Monroe vs. LSU

-Belmont vs. Oregon State

Chapel Hill Regional

-Cornell vs. North Carolina

-St. John's vs. East Carolina

Tucson Regional

-Missouri vs. Arizona

-Louisville vs. New Mexico State

Palo Alto Regional

-Fresno State vs. Stanford

-Michigan State vs. Pepperdine

Tallahassee Regional

-UAB vs. Florida State

-Samford vs. Mississippi State

Eugene Regional

-Austin Peay vs. Oregon

-Indiana State vs. CS Fullerton

Gary Regional

-Valparaiso vs. Purdue

-Kent State vs. Kentucky

Houston Regional

-Prairie View vs. Rice

-Sam Houston State vs. Arkansas

Waco Regional

-Oral Roberts vs. Baylor

-UT Arlington vs. Dallas Baptist

And Utah Valley gets hosed! Seadragon76, unfortunatly, called it right.

I sort of did get it right, but I have a beef with the committee in that I find hard to leave out the team with the most wins in Division I this season (47-12) from the tourny.

But, there are two huge factors that play into this:

1. Strength of Schedule. Let's face it, UVU does have some nice scalps on their mantle (Arizona, Arizona State, Sacramento State), but for all of those wins, you have the absolute beatings of such dregs like NJIT, New York Tech and Chicago State.

2. Bid Theves. Creighton, UAB, Missouri. All three took automatic bids, which in turn shrinks the field for at-large bids. If any one (or even all three team mentioned here) doesn't win that automatic bid, then you give a team like UVU a chance to compete in the field.

I know two things about this tournament:

1.) The road to Omaha is I-80 west.

2.) For the umpteenth season, Florida State probably ain't gon' make it.

For all the regular-season success FSU has year in and year out, it befuddles me that they always slip up and can't reach the end of the journey. It's like the third guarantee of life: death, taxes...and Florida State failing to win a CWS championship.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

For all the regular-season success FSU has year in and year out, it befuddles me that they always slip up and can't reach the end of the journey. It's like the third guarantee of life: death, taxes...and Florida State failing to win a CWS championship.

They should have ran away with the top seed but in usual FSU fashion they choked away in the post season. Martin is cursed.

Dang it.

Well, the Wolverines have nothing to be ashamed of. It was one heck of a season. Like I said, that may be the best team UVU has ever fielded - in any sport. At least the players can have claim to that.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I'm probably biased, but I think Mississippi State has a real chance this year. They've won 8 of their last 9, 7 of those aginst LSU or Kentucky, the other 2 aginst Arkansas and Vanderbilt.

I think they can get past FSU on their pitching, and then it's a super regional aginst a Stanford Pepperdine or Michigan St. Actually, some people are saying the NCAA sent Mississippi State to Tallahassee to punish FSU for slacking off at the end of the season.

Georgia could have made the tournament, but choked 2 of 3 at Alabama, then didn't win a game in the SEC Tournament. Typical Georgia.

Oh well, Go Heels!

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Archived