The Rockies Stirrup Movement - Part 2

jake22

There you go again with that word "force". Force this and force that, I'm not forcing the players to wear anything, I'm only giving them the option to wear a sock combo that previously did not exist.

Criticism is fine, but I would rather it be constructive. All you are saying is that I'm a scary crazy person and that it's impossible to accomplish my goal. Just sit back and watch, my friend.

I actually have an announcement to make, hence the part 2 title. That is the purpose of this thread. Not to argue. Thanks

Jake

oh and Legend, the blog is supposed to be funny, satire, what exactly have I said that scares you?

~~~~~

And what is so illogical about it? What if one guy has a good game the first time he wears them? Superstition, sports, that is all.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not angry, and honestly not trying to be an :censored:. Not every person needs to think this idea is stellar. I'm just pointing out the oddities of what he is saying and the lack of logic behind what he wants to accomplish. Even if it was something I thought was uglier than stirrups, not much, but had a chance to work I would say good luck man. But this isn't that. Have you read his blog? He honestly scares me. John Hinckley style.

You can't take criticism?

Dude, you are trying to force an entire team to wear some ugly stirrups. Yes, you think they look great, everyone knows that by now. But you can't force every player on one team to wear them. There are pipe dreams and long shots, but this is just too illogical.

Maybe your friends and family have blind support, but I feel criticism is ok when it's something like this. Some of the things you say really make me question your age and sanity.

This thread was made after your last one crashed and burned, and so it should be open to people that question this "movement". (I shuddered as I typed that).

I'm not thread crapping, trolling, or whatever cute term one would come up with merely because I'm a detractor. I'm just discussing the topic at hand without supporting it. You have to expect not everyone is going to be supportive of the idea, when maybe to others like myself it doesn't make sense.

You need to get over yourself and stop thinking that the whole world revolves around you and your opinions. This is someone with a passion to do something. While I think it won't go anywhere, at least he's trying to do something to make some sort of change. You on the other hand are just complaining about someone who's trying to do something.

I'm not angry, and honestly not trying to be an :censored:. Not every person needs to think this idea is stellar. I'm just pointing out the oddities of what he is saying and the lack of logic behind what he wants to accomplish. Even if it was something I thought was uglier than stirrups, not much, but had a chance to work I would say good luck man. But this isn't that. Have you read his blog? He honestly scares me. John Hinckley style.

Dude, you are trying to force an entire team to wear some ugly stirrups. Yes, you think they look great, everyone knows that by now. But you can't force every player on one team to wear them. There are pipe dreams and long shots, but this is just too illogical.

Maybe your friends and family have blind support, but I feel criticism is ok when it's something like this. Some of the things you say really make me question your age and sanity.

This thread was made after your last one crashed and burned, and so it should be open to people that question this "movement". (I shuddered as I typed that).

I'm not thread crapping, trolling, or whatever cute term one would come up with merely because I'm a detractor. I'm just discussing the topic at hand without supporting it. You have to expect not everyone is going to be supportive of the idea, when maybe to others like myself it doesn't make sense.

How about you just go away?

I'm not jumping on the bandwagon here, it just so happens that my post comes after multiple reponses to his comment. The point is that everything I bolded here makes you seem a little over-the-top with your comments. That's not criticism what you wrote there. You're almost trying to get in his way by bringing him down. Let the guy have his fun. He ain't hurting you. He obviously cares very deeply about what he's doing. I personally don't like the idea of having striped stirrups with pinstripes, but that's not for me to judge. Stop trying to bring him down in front of everyone. You probably have convinced a lot of member on here already that he's a nutcase when he's not.

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

So, a bunch of needless "edit" posts were made. They're gone now. If you've come to bicker, move along.

If you're not down with this idea, don't post in here just to crap all over it. Seriously. You've had your say; please move on and let those who enjoy talking about this talk about it.

----------

In less mod-related, more on-topic news: Great to see RPM's updated his selections. Love that he still has the custom Grizzlies version listed--that's the set I got made for my softball team.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

i'm not coming in to hate on this idea, and i'd really laugh my ass off if i flipped on the game and saw someone wearing these stirrups in a game, knowing the story behind it...

but i guess the difference between me and the OP is that i prefer the high socks look over the long pants or stirrups... but i think i like them because of how rare they are currently. i wouldn't want the entire red sox team (my team) to wear them, because that would make them less special.

the way i see it, the high socks just give me an arbitrary reason to think certain players are cool. and that's enough for me.

more power to you, though.

Wait, so what is Part 2?

and is the overall goal to get every Rockies player to wear stirrups? Or is just one of them wearing these stirrups a success?

Whatever the answers are, I wish you godspeed.

It's kind of like Part 2 of the Cleveland Browns' QB problem being solved by drafting another average over-hyped at best college QB. Same project, just renamed.

Hah, the Browns. Anyway I'm having some technical difficulties but I do have something planned for part 2. Also I definitely helped to run the last one into the ground, but I really did appreciate all the feedback I was getting, both positive and negative. So stay tuned, there will be news.

- Jake

What happened to part 1?

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

None of the players in the video thumbnail are wearing stirrups. :rolleyes:

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

None of the players in the video thumbnail are wearing stirrups. :rolleyes:

That is a bit ironic. But literally 1 player on the whole team does. That was just an image that I made to take up space in the video.

Thanks for watching,

Jake

False. I am having troubles with the announcement I was planning to make days ago. Still planning on it but it has been delayed. Mods, go ahead and close this thread if any of you feel the same way as the kid above me, no offense will be taken. The last thing I want is to be annoying.

- Jake

We all know that stirrups were invented to simulate colored socks, because back in the day you couldn't wear solid color socks against your skin (hence the white sanis.) They were cut really low, so minimal white would show, to give the appearance of solid socks.

Then, at some point, people started getting them cut higher, and wearing them with a lot of white showing - in some cases, with only a narrow "racing stripe" of color being visible. I have a feeling that if this board was around back then, a lot of people would be complaining that they are disgracing the uniform and not wearing it the way it was intended, etc. Just a hunch, I obviously can't prove this.

If anything, now that people aren't going to die from getting cut while wearing colored socks, the solid sock more closely simulates the original intent of the stirrup, and is closer to the game's roots. The stirrup is really non-functional anymore, and the only reason to wear it is "just because". The only reason to wear them high is really just for a "look at me" effect, since that's not at all why they were designed in the first place.

IMO the fact that some players choose to wear them while others don't makes it kind of cool. It's not cool that some players still wear them really high cut though - there's really no need for that. You could argue that if a team wanted multiple colors, they could do (like in the Giants case) orange "sanis" and black stirrups, but I think the same effect would be achieved by doing an NFL-style sock but with a colored bottom (or just use stripes.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I personally always preferred stockings to stirrups. Solid color, but stripes could be added, I guess. I don't like a bunch of white showing. I guess the classic ones with a little at the bottom aren't bad, but stirrups themselves are just uncomfortable and we don't need to be reminded of how things looked in the 70's and 80's.

• 1 month later...

Archived