New University of Denver logo (not athletic logo)

roxfan00

DU To Unveil Branding Project & Logo

After a year of market research and development the University of Denver will be unveiling a new branding platform that visually identifies, defines and differentiates DU to local, national and international audiences.

One piece of the branding platform is the new University logo. This new signature, which was designed as a result of the research findings, will now use the University colors: crimson and gold. The new logo, with its distinctive shield, will more clearly identify and differentiate the University as a prestigious academic institution which provides inspiration from our geographic setting as well as strength and endurance from our history.

DU Logo

Old Logo

629.gif

New Logo

new_du_logo_july_09_12.jpg

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

Wow, this really shows what a visual identity can do for perception of the university. I love it!

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

i dont like that typeface, but i suppose its fine. the kerning/tracking is off in places (R is crashing into S). i think it would be more modern to have the type in grey or maroon, black type is so generic. the mountain is broken on the right side of the gold top of the building which is strange but overall its a fine logo. it looks respectable and the technical execution dosent hold it back so much that it fails. nice job

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

If only they hadn't bullied Metro State away from the Denver State name...anyway, big upgrade from what they had for sure.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

Guess I'm in the minority here... But that feels like a downgrade.

Everything about the new one, from the horrendously kerned type to the illustration feels like a first draft. While the new one has more character and personality, at least the old one wasn't lacking executionally.

Hey Crash, are you going to DU or did you decide against it? I was deciding between DU, Regis and CU Boulder. I ended up choosing CU but it was certainly a tough choice!

Oh wow, thanks Brandon for pointing out the break in the mountain, now I can't unsee that.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

Hey Crash, are you going to DU or did you decide against it? I was deciding between DU, Regis and CU Boulder. I ended up choosing CU but it was certainly a tough choice!

Oh wow, thanks Brandon for pointing out the break in the mountain, now I can't unsee that.

I'm only going to be a senior, so I've still got another year of this stuff. :P I was actually on campus a week ago. I noticed the logo change on the website literally the next day.

I'm strongly considering DU, though.

6fQjS3M.png

The worst part of their old identity was the type, and they didn't change that. Beyond this, they just made themselves look like every other university out there. Not a good way to visually identify, define and differentiate yourself.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Wait... University of Denver is DU and not UD?

I guess I shouldn't be surprised since that was a convention of all the old Big 8 schools and Colorado was traditionally Big 8 country. Still, it seems more than a little counter-intuitive.

• 4 weeks later...

Why is the clock tower wearing a dunce cap? I'm sure it's mimicking the real life tower (maybe it has a copper covering, I don't know), but it looks pretty funny in the logo.

I can't unsee the dunce cap now.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Archived