Baseball in the Olympics

RoughRiders99

It's all America's fault!

No, seriously, softball and baseball were removed because they were perceived as "too American." I suspect the US winning three of the four golds and silver the fourth time in softball didn't really help that perception.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd have MLB stop for 3 weeks and have the players go to the Olympics, like the NHL...

But I have a better chance of flying like Superman than for that to happen, so I'd make a dedicated Team USA of minor leaguers, but put them together in January, have them work out, play games in Spring Training against MLB teams or split squads, then tour around the US playing against minor league teams before heading off to the Olympics. That would probably be the best possible outcome to get the best team possible over there...

I'd much rather see softball put back in the Olympics than baseball anyway...

Did they take out softball only because they took out baseball? It's understandable to drop baseball because of the conflicts with the pro leagues, but after college, what do softball players do? There aren't any really strong pro softball leagues out there that would have enough power to oppose a break for the Olympics, are there?

No, the Summer Games are capped at 28 sports. When baseball and softball were dropped in 2005, Modern Pentathlon was also an the drop list, but the IOC members spared it.

Baseball and softball were two separate bids since they have two separate international federations but will try to bid as one. The fact that the Intl Feds will not merge also makes the issue of them to become back into the Games and issue.

I'd have MLB stop for 3 weeks and have the players go to the Olympics, like the NHL...

But I have a better chance of flying like Superman than for that to happen, so I'd make a dedicated Team USA of minor leaguers, but put them together in January, have them work out, play games in Spring Training against MLB teams or split squads, then tour around the US playing against minor league teams before heading off to the Olympics. That would probably be the best possible outcome to get the best team possible over there...

I'd much rather see softball put back in the Olympics than baseball anyway...

Did they take out softball only because they took out baseball? It's understandable to drop baseball because of the conflicts with the pro leagues, but after college, what do softball players do? There aren't any really strong pro softball leagues out there that would have enough power to oppose a break for the Olympics, are there?

No, the Summer Games are capped at 28 sports. When baseball and softball were dropped in 2005, Modern Pentathlon was also an the drop list, but the IOC members spared it.

Baseball and softball were two separate bids since they have two separate international federations but will try to bid as one. The fact that the Intl Feds will not merge also makes the issue of them to become back into the Games and issue. Two separate stadiums did not help terms of cost.

No, seriously, softball and baseball were removed because they were perceived as "too American." I suspect the US winning three of the four golds and silver the fourth time in softball didn't really help that perception.

Well, yes, sports that are seriously played in all of about 12 countries shouldn't be in the Olympics.

6fQjS3M.png

I would have thought that the thoughts on golf from George Carlin even Mark Twain would have made you anti-gold.

Remember that St. Andrews is Scottish.

Even if there was a tournament this year, Royal Lythum & St. Anne's (ENG) would be out since it was used for this years Open. Turnberry (SCO) held the Senior British and the Womens Open is at Royal Liverpool/Hoylake (ENG) in September. Royal Birkdale and Royal St. Georges would be the only English courses, aka goat ranches, which are within the Open rotation to be "available". Otherwise, it would have to be played on a modern style course.

Problem is that even the golf basic qualifications will make you mad at who will be there since there will only be 60 players for a 72 hole tournament.

The Men's will be US dominated, and the Women's entry list will be heavily South Korean and Taiwanese.

In both the men?s and women?s event, the top 15 world-ranked players will be eligible for the Olympic Games, regardless of the number of players from a given country. Beyond the top 15, players will be eligible based on world ranking, with a maximum of two available players from each country that does not already have two or more players among the top 15 to a maximum number of 60 players in total in the competition.

If there was a tournament this week or next week, the USA would have nine of the top 15. Michelson and Dustin Johnson would be the first two Americans left out.

If there were a Golf event in London 2012 it comes down to 3 championship courses in the South East of England, 4 at a stretch. Wentworth, The Grove (which held the World Cup 5 or 6 years ago) or Royal St George's, with maybe Woburn as a last possibility. One of the issues with golf in the Olympics is it means bidding cities would need a championship golf course in the vicinity of the city. That's not always going to be the case. I'm not convinced Golf will last any longer than baseball did.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

It wasn't that the sports were "too American." It was that America dominated the competition. When one country wins it almost every year (and comes in second the one year they don't win) a lot of people start wondering "what's the point?"

There was talk about removing women's hockey a few years ago. Not because it's "too Canadian" but because it always seemed to come to Canada vs the US.

I would have thought that

even Mark Twain would have made you anti-gold.

Remember that St. Andrews is Scottish.

Even if there was a tournament this year, Royal Lythum & St. Anne's (ENG) would be out since it was used for this years Open. Turnberry (SCO) held the Senior British and the Womens Open is at Royal Liverpool/Hoylake (ENG) in September. Royal Birkdale and Royal St. Georges would be the only English courses, aka goat ranches, which are within the Open rotation to be "available". Otherwise, it would have to be played on a modern style course.

Problem is that even the golf basic qualifications will make you mad at who will be there since there will only be 60 players for a 72 hole tournament.

The Men's will be US dominated, and the Women's entry list will be heavily South Korean and Taiwanese.

In both the men?s and women?s event, the top 15 world-ranked players will be eligible for the Olympic Games, regardless of the number of players from a given country. Beyond the top 15, players will be eligible based on world ranking, with a maximum of two available players from each country that does not already have two or more players among the top 15 to a maximum number of 60 players in total in the competition.

If there was a tournament this week or next week, the USA would have nine of the top 15. Michelson and Dustin Johnson would be the first two Americans left out.

If there were a Golf event in London 2012 it comes down to 3 championship courses in the South East of England, 4 at a stretch. Wentworth, The Grove (which held the World Cup 5 or 6 years ago) or Royal St George's, with maybe Woburn as a last possibility. One of the issues with golf in the Olympics is it means bidding cities would need a championship golf course in the vicinity of the city. That's not always going to be the case. I'm not convinced Golf will last any longer than baseball did.

If Chicago won the bid for 2017 we would have seen them play at Cog Hill and if definitely be excited for that. I'll be watching for sure anyways if it's treated like a fifth major.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

i have a feeling that wait for iitttt, in 2017 when the bids for the games of the XXXIII (33) Olympiad in 2024 are announced and when whomever is the IOC prez is opens the envelope dont be surprised is the city on that card is........Los Angeles. It would have been 22 years since the good ol' U.S of A. the second longest time between olympics held in the us. But i think that Baseball will most likely be back by then

Racing2.png

CapitalCanuck.png

Five-lights.blogspot.com - my Motorsports Blog

Why not Chicago? Chicago's never hosted and was supposed to host at one point.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

The earliest you will see a US city host the Summer games will be 2024 unless the USOC changes their mind about subsidizing cities bidding for 2020.

But I do think its a foregone conclusion that the US will get the 2024 Olympics if they put in a serious bid and especially if they don't get the 2022 World Cup. I know Qater has it, but I wouldn't be surprised if they reopened the bidding.

I know you can confirm LA and Philly as potential bidders and probably Chicago as well. I'd be pretty surprised if they didn't put in a bid.

2024 is probably, as you say, a foregone conclusion to be in the US. LA, Philly & Chicago are near certainties to bid, I would be surprised if New York didn't get involved, & apparently Dallas & even Tulsa (yes, seriously) want in too.

Personally I think it comes down to Chicago or NY, probably Chicago.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

Chicago try and failed, NY tried and failed. LA can do it B/C it knows how to get an Olympics done and third time around it should be like clockwork. If the NFL go to LA no matter what stadium, weather its a renovated LA Colissium or Farmers Field it will be the bid from the US. But its now going to be about money and legacy/future or the venues and stuff thats exactly how london won

Racing2.png

CapitalCanuck.png

Five-lights.blogspot.com - my Motorsports Blog

Chicago try and failed, NY tried and failed. LA can do it B/C it knows how to get an Olympics done and third time around it should be like clockwork. If the NFL go to LA no matter what stadium, weather its a renovated LA Colissium or Farmers Field it will be the bid from the US. But its now going to be about money and legacy/future or the venues and stuff thats exactly how london won

- Athens and Beijing both won after being runners up for the games two prior to that which they eventually got (Athens were 2nd for 96, won for 04; Beijing 2nd for 2000, won for 2008). Come 2024 that's exactly the position Chicago will be in, it's not like bidding for the Olympics is a one-off opportunity.

- 'third time around it should be like clockwork'. Yes, because having run something in 1932 makes running something in 2024 so much easier. In all seriousness, if they can pull off the organisation for games in places like Greece and Brazil anywhere in the US should seem easy in comparison.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

- 'third time around it should be like clockwork'. Yes, because having run something in 1932 makes running something in 2024 so much easier.

Uh, LA last hosted in 1984.

The earliest you will see a US city host the Summer games will be 2024 unless the USOC changes their mind about subsidizing cities bidding for 2020.

Hee Hee!

Umm, it had little to do with the USOC and host city subsidies. IOC verses USOC share of media rights was a bigger issue in the USOC not wanting to place a bid city.

Even if they lose for 2020, the Turkish Constitution does have the same language of the Olympic Charter and the French may still have in in for 2024 since al their facilities will be present.

@pmoehrin

Its Not if but when in my opinion for 2022 World Cup Qatar is in WAY over there heads with this one

Frankly I'm looking forward to seeing how completely they can :censored: it up and what they do with dozen massive stadiums they have no use for.

@pmoehrin

Its Not if but when in my opinion for 2022 World Cup Qatar is in WAY over there heads with this one

Frankly I'm looking forward to seeing how completely they can :censored: it up and what they do with dozen massive stadiums they have no use for.

They're dismantling many of them and sending the scraps off to other countries. Supposedly.

6fQjS3M.png

I'm wondering how they're going to deal with the inevitable health issues and deaths because of the weather. Who the hell thought having the World Cup in the summer in the Middle East was a good idea?

People spotted leaving a boardroom with enormous bags of money.

How I'd run baseball in the Olympics is a real cart-before-horse thing to me. I suppose I would start by establishing grassroots programs in countries where baseball hasn't yet made the inroads it could make, and then I'd come back in about 30 years and see if it's yet become a sufficiently international sport befitting its greatness.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived