Atlanta Silverbacks Retain Name; Launch Logo Design Contest

Louis

This is my contribution:

3501_459949260722973_1430558744_n.jpg

NOTE: It was done in Paint, but I added a few touches ("SC," "EST. 1995," darker red, gorilla from previous logo in circle) that could work out...if only I was a bit more skilled...

v40P3lq.png

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That top one is pretty influenced by the Brandiose Clink Kong.

Brandiose's "Clink Kong" is far more photorealistic in its depiction of a gorilla. The gorilla in the Silverbacks logo I posted is more "cartoonish" in nature. If anything, I'd say that the submission resembles an angry depiction of the character Kala from Disney's Tarzan.

I said influenced, because it's almost like the designer wanted to make the same logo as Clink Kong but they knew they couldn't make the same design, so they tweaked almost everything but left the idea the same... Yes, some things will naturally look the same because they are the same animal. It's not in any terms a rip-off, but it's copycat designing. Look at items such as the shape of the eyebrows, the gleam of the eyes, the mangy fur on the cheeks, the depiction of the fangs, the way the chin comes up the side of the mouth, the shape of the nostrils... It's the same design without being the same design. There are just too many "coincidences" in my mind.

Maybe this will help get my point across:

Clink.png

This one tho

542982_462717863779446_1448926438_n.jpg

I'm gonna try to do a logo.

Oh I forgot to mention, I read somewhere in the rules the winner of the fan design contest would go up against one by the team in a vote.

5. After the December 3 deadline, a winner will be selected based on the logo with the most amount of Facebook “likes.” This logo will move on to a final round featuring three logos, with the other two being the current Silverbacks logo and a logo designed by the club itself.

I'm terribly sorry if this has been mentioned, but wasn't one of Fraser's vague concepts gorilla based and used the same colors? It may have been part of one of his tutorials.

Again sorry if this has been discussed.

edit: here's the video I was talking about.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The team is doing a really bad job managing the contest. Many of the posted logos violate the rules of the contest, ie plagarizing, using stock clipart gorillas, or not submitting in vector format. The one I entered was taken, copied, slightly altered, and resubmitted FOUR TIMES by a different contestant, and the team posted them anway. That's one way to split the vote.

The ones that are winning are sharing their images with a bunch of friends and begging for "likes". Good way to win a contest, horrible way to choose a crest.

My suspicion is that they're being so lax on the rules and running the contest because none of the fan submissions has a shot. It's all about generating traffic on their facebook page. The club-commissioned crest is going to win. As long as contestants keep sharing and liking, they're getting what they want.

The team is doing a really bad job managing the contest. Many of the posted logos violate the rules of the contest, ie plagarizing, using stock clipart gorillas, or not submitting in vector format. The one I entered was taken, copied, slightly altered, and resubmitted FOUR TIMES by a different contestant, and the team posted them anway. That's one way to split the vote.

The ones that are winning are sharing their images with a bunch of friends and begging for "likes". Good way to win a contest, horrible way to choose a crest.

My suspicion is that they're being so lax on the rules and running the contest because none of the fan submissions has a shot. It's all about generating traffic on their facebook page. The club-commissioned crest is going to win. As long as contestants keep sharing and liking, they're getting what they want.

Makes sense, considering how half-added the "contest" is.

Which one was yours? I know a bunch of them have copies

The first one's mine, then I did an update and it's posted as number 7. The contestant Nicole Stone did four copies using the shape of the shield and the ribbon, also adding a cheap clipart gorilla. I complained to the team, but never heard anything back.

Archived