Sports Illustrated changes color of Baylor uniforms

Digby

who cares?

i'd much rather this thread be a discussion of how much better those uniforms look in green than pretending to be outraged that someone photoshopped a color change.

cause seriously, they look great in that green pic.

They definitely looked better than their black.

spacer.png

Nobody has mentioned the obvious problem with this photo.

Baylor's color-on-color numbers look TERRIBLE. The gold trim is just putting a ribbon on a turd.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

A reply to the article via the Comments section directly below the article:

"What I am about to post does not reflect the position of Sports Illustrated but rather my own opinion….that of the former photography editor of SI and the curator of the Leading Off section. My assumption as to what occurred here was an honest mistake and not an intentional manipulation. Here’s why.

The photo in question is at least a stop under exposed. I am guessing that one of the good people in the imaging department, who take great pride in making the pictures look as good as possible on the printed page, opened it up in Photoshop and hit a white point for color balance on one of the Kansas State player’s uniform. (For those of you at home, I encourage you to copy the original image off the blog and attempt this yourself.) The result will show green on parts of the Baylor jerseys. This is one of the vagaries of Photoshop

….it will show you what the program believes are the true colors. And when you brighten the image overall to compensate for one stop under exposure, it only exacerbates the problem. Using this data, they corrected as they thought the image should read. Should it have been caught after a proof was made? Probably. But I can tell you first hand that many things fall between the cracks on deadline.

I am the first to admit intentional manipulation. Many of you may remember I did so regarding a photo that ran in SI many years ago while I was still in their employ. This doesn’t seem to be the case here. Is it misleading? Yes. Was it intentional? Someone behind closed doors saying, “Let’s change the color of the uniforms today?” I doubt it. But SI has done the prudent thing here. They recognized and admitted the error and will be publishing a correction in their next issue. Nuff said."

posted in sports illustrated this week was

CORRECTION: Because of a production error, this Leading Off photo from Baylor's 52-24 upset of No. 1 Kansas State was incorrectly colorized in the Nov. 26 issue. Sports Illustrated regrets the error.

spacer.png

A reply to the article via the Comments section directly below the article:

"What I am about to post does not reflect the position of Sports Illustrated but rather my own opinion….that of the former photography editor of SI and the curator of the Leading Off section. My assumption as to what occurred here was an honest mistake and not an intentional manipulation. Here’s why.

The photo in question is at least a stop under exposed. I am guessing that one of the good people in the imaging department, who take great pride in making the pictures look as good as possible on the printed page, opened it up in Photoshop and hit a white point for color balance on one of the Kansas State player’s uniform. (For those of you at home, I encourage you to copy the original image off the blog and attempt this yourself.) The result will show green on parts of the Baylor jerseys. This is one of the vagaries of Photoshop

….it will show you what the program believes are the true colors. And when you brighten the image overall to compensate for one stop under exposure, it only exacerbates the problem. Using this data, they corrected as they thought the image should read. Should it have been caught after a proof was made? Probably. But I can tell you first hand that many things fall between the cracks on deadline.

I am the first to admit intentional manipulation. Many of you may remember I did so regarding a photo that ran in SI many years ago while I was still in their employ. This doesn’t seem to be the case here. Is it misleading? Yes. Was it intentional? Someone behind closed doors saying, “Let’s change the color of the uniforms today?” I doubt it. But SI has done the prudent thing here. They recognized and admitted the error and will be publishing a correction in their next issue. Nuff said."

I took the two pictures to my photography teacher, who is a newspaper photographer and is super sticky on ethics. He basically said the same thing.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

FWIW: A while back, a photographer was fired from a newspaper for using PS to remove a telephone wire that ran in front of a house in a picture he had taken for a story. (He thought the shot looked better with the wire removed. I'm sure it did, I remove wires from outdoor shots all the time.) I don't know how it works with covering sports, but altering a news photograph is highly frowned upon. Changing exposure to make a pic more visible is one thing, but changing the color of the team, while harmless, is altering the "reality" of the "news" the picture is supposed to represent. SI hangs their hat on their photography. They should have caught this before it went to press. While SI's transgression is relatively minor, it does cross that "altering reality" line.

Is it a big deal in the grand scheme of things? Probably not, but SI was right to note what had happened.

BB52Big.jpg

who cares?

i'd much rather this thread be a discussion of how much better those uniforms look in green than pretending to be outraged that someone photoshopped a color change.

cause seriously, they look great in that green pic.

It is a big deal because it changes the fact of the event.

Yes, it may be just a football game but the media shouldn't change anything about it to make it more convenient for themselves or for any other reason. They are supposed to cover the event not change the facts of it in anyway.

I work in media and often see evidence of this kind of thing outside sports in smaller ways. I hate it.

FsQiF2W.png

Archived