Sports Illustrated changes color of Baylor uniforms

Digby

im not even sure thats legal. altering photos in such a way has come back to bite some. the infamous picture of the Kent State shooting was altered to where a pole in the background was no longer "sticking out of the woman's head". im pretty sure there were some repercussions to pay for that. dont want to mess with the evidence of history (cant remember how its worded exactly)

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I suspect someone was trying to make adjustments to the picture for brightness, noise, etc... and the software mistook the color. I could be completely wrong. The other thing could be someone made the adjustment based on THINKING the jerseys should be green and thought the color was off from the camera... As a photographer, sometimes things look different after being captured. Manipulation is one thing, Color corrections gone wrong are another.

I knew I wasn't crazy. I watched that game live with other people and I thought about how I hated Baylor's black uniforms.

I get my issue of SI and they're in green jerseys.

No you're still crazy. It's just you remembered right this time. :D

If you people would read the replies, there are credible people in there that know what goes on with deadlines and pictures better than most people here do. I don't see the big issue. Someone may have been given the picture who knows a little bit about sports and knows that Baylor is green and gold, and so they lightened the photo to get green. Don't think that people who work at magazines, etc. live the life of where they work, they don't. It's a job, and the truth is sometimes people make an honest mistake trying to do something right.

I suspect someone was trying to make adjustments to the picture for brightness, noise, etc... and the software mistook the color. I could be completely wrong. The other thing could be someone made the adjustment based on THINKING the jerseys should be green and thought the color was off from the camera... As a photographer, sometimes things look different after being captured. Manipulation is one thing, Color corrections gone wrong are another.

This is the first thing I thought of as well, some one saw it thinking it was a dark photo and when they lightened it up, were under the assumption they were green. Still doesnt explain how it how it got all the way to press without someone noticing.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

I saw this in my SI last week but I didn't think much about it despite knowing they didn't wear green for the game.

And this is what happens when teams wear colors that aren't their school colors. I bet the editor, knowing that Baylor wears green, saw the mistake but didn't register that it should be black. Does anyone associate Baylor with black? They're a green and gold team.

Go A's!

This is the first thing I thought of as well, some one saw it thinking it was a dark photo and when they lightened it up, were under the assumption they were green. Still doesnt explain how it how it got all the way to press without someone noticing.

I think the jerseys were deliberately turned green. Look at the socks, they still look black. They'd be green too if it was just them brightening the pic right?

90758391980.gif

They were definitely deliberately turned green. Kudos to whoever did it, in the spirit of destroying BFBS, but this is a 3 situation that's going to be made into a 9.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

who cares?

i'd much rather this thread be a discussion of how much better those uniforms look in green than pretending to be outraged that someone photoshopped a color change.

cause seriously, they look great in that green pic.

I think the jerseys were deliberately turned green. Look at the socks, they still look black. They'd be green too if it was just them brightening the pic right?

The socks are lighter in the second photo just not as light as the green

The socks are lighter in the second photo just not as light as the green

If you look at the picture you can tell that someone adjusted it to make the it brighter. You can make out the faces of the people in the stands, and what they're wearing. I don't know why the jerseys went from black to green. There are a lot of excuses I can think of, but if you know the jerseys were black, why did someone change it or adjust them to look green?

girardi-1.png

lyip4wfi.pngzc9hmqq6.png

Thanks KaTo

They did more (or maybe you could say less) than just tinker with the uniforms. Take a look at the background in the before and after picture. You may notice that the fans in the stands are more noticable in the second picture. The TV camera is also brighter and so is the cameraman's shirt. What may have happened is that someone may have lightened or adjusted the color levels on the whole picture in one swoop rather than just adjust the uniforms.

No matter what happened, people are making too big of a deal about this. No one should be fired or even reprimanded over it. It also isn't worth blogging about more than once.

However, maybe this ordeal will cause Baylor and Nike to look at themselves in the mirror. SI had to adjust a photo of your team just so people could see the uniforms and tell it was Baylor. Maybe in the future Baylor football won't order or use black numbers on black jerseys. Those uniforms didn't help get Baylor's name out there to fans and recruits, so maybe Baylor needs to go with something that's a bit more distinguishable.

Yeah, to me it appears that when they bumped up the exposure by about 1 stop in Photoshop, the jerseys probably appeared a weird desaturated greenish-grey, so whoever was working on it assumed that the jerseys were green at made the correction using the color replacement tool.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Archived