New Badger coach, new Badger look

PackerBadger

As I've written before, I find a few things wrong with Wisconsin's look, beginning with their red, which is Ohio State/Nebraska red, not cardinal. So I put together the right red, cleaned up a few things (removed most stripes), used the current UW number font, but added touches from the 1960 and 1963 Rose Bowl teams.

The look for most home games:

wisconsin-football-home.png

Selected home games (i.e. Homecoming):

wisconsin-football-home-red-pants.png

Road games against teams with white helmets:

wisconsin-football-road.png

Road games against teams with non-white helmets:

wisconsin-football-road-white-helmets.png

Packers-2.png

Congratulations, you stopped Wisconsin from looking like Nebraska, a team they'll play every few years. Now Wisconsin looks exactly like Indiana, a school they play every single year.

Concept fail. If you're trying to give Wisco a look unique to the B1G, I don't think this is the route.

It's not a bad look but you just made Wisco look like another B1G school. Down to the switching of alternating red and white helmets, you just recreated Indiana...

EDITED TO REDACT STUPIDITY

Congratulations, you stopped Wisconsin from looking like Nebraska, a team they'll play every few years. Now Wisconsin looks exactly like Indiana, a school they play every single year.

Concept fail.

It's not a bad look but you just made Wisco look like another B1G school. Down to the switching of alternating red and white helmets, you just recreated Indiana...

Don't be a dick.

The original post never said anything about making it look different from Nebraska, just use a different shade of red. You just assumed that was the intent. In fact, the OP did everything they set out to do in the explanation, so I would say its about the opposite of a concept fail.

On to the concept.

I like the red you chose better than the one currently employed by the Badgers. I would prefer something in between the two though. I love the number font. I like the simplicity of no stripes as well. This set reminds me of the throwback set they wore with the W on the front and back of the helmet.

Concept fail.

Really now?

VmWIn6B.png

That's my bad. I just pulled a huge boner. Sorry. I didn't mean the concept was a failure, I meant "concept" in the sense of trying to make Wisco look less like other B1G schools and then made them look like a different B1G School...

Poor choice of words. Mea Culpa. That's one of those things that made sense in my head, but not at all while reading it. I'm an idiot (this is the "Concepts" board, Tim....).

How I took his intro, was that he meant to separate Wisco from other B1G schools and give them a more unique look, and while I reiterate that I like the look, my critique that now they look like Indiana still stands.

However, I'm sorry I'm such a boob and wrote that that way. Mea Culpa Maxima.

However, I'm sorry I'm such a boob and wrote that that way. Mea Culpa Maxima.

You aren't a boob. I very much like boobs and they have never used a poor choice of words in my presence.

You come off as pretentious a lot on the boards man, sometimes it's good to just step back and reread a response before clicking post. I did that for this post and thought, "I really don't need to keep going on this issue, maybe I won't post it," but then I thought, "Never waste an opportunity to talk about how much you like boobs," so I posted anyways.

As a UW grad/fan, I would not support this. I find it to be a bit of a downgrade, but that's in large part because I intensely dislike their basketball number font.

I like the color change, but would would rather see block numbers. I'd also like to see the current striping pattern on the helmet and pants (then maybe shrink the W on the pants). I like the "Red/White/Red" traditional striping on the helmet and the front view here just looks to plain. I also like the white elastic on the sleeves of the red jersey and feel that the white jersey should have the red elastic.

As for two helmets; I am not a fan of that. I know that the college helmet is not as much a part of the identity as the NFL helmet, but it still is key. I would prefer UW to stick to one helmet, but thanks for removing the black drop shadow. Also you plan of when to wear red vs. white helmet kind of lets the other teams dictate it for them.

As for the much-hated motion W, I like it and not only is it not going anywhere with Barry Alvarez around, but I highly doubt it's ever going anywhere.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Regardless if they look like one team or another team, the bigger issue is that it's now very dull looking and lacks character. I would consider adding a tertiary color such as black (the way Georgia does) rather than changing the red that drastically. The color shift is just too far of a departure from the current look that it doesn't feel like WI anymore.

Official school athletic colors are "Wisc Red" and "Wisc Black" (though not sure what constitutes Wisc Black opposed to just black, but that's what it says). The color guide definitely shows a shade of right that is much brighter than your purplish-red.

Source: University of Wisconsin Athletics Graphic Identity Manual

SIG1.png

SIG2.pngSIG3.png

• 3 months later...

I like the concept, and especially like the throwback number on the back bumper. How about adding it to the front of the helmet, like the W used to be?

I'm a fan of using the same number font as the basketball uniforms, also. I'd be against switching helmets based on the other team (in other words, why should we change our home helmet when Penn State comes to town?).

It's where I sit.

Archived