2013 NFL Off-Season Thread

Island_Style

Agreed. Logistics aside, there's also the possibility of one team having a competitive advantage if it's a Southern or dome team vs. one that plays outside in the elements. Let me acknowledge the "they should be able to play in any weather" proponents now; that's true, but regardless, the fact remains that an outdoor cold-weather team would have an advantage in wintery conditions. Same could even be true with two teams not accustomed to winter weather if one's a grind-it-out running team and the other relies primarily on the passing game.

And now teams that are built for an indoor game have an advantage. I don't see the problem with reversing it once in a while.

And I'd love to see a Super Bowl in Seattle. That's definitely a market worth showcasing, and I'd bet that the city's infrastructure could handle it.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You might be surprised to learn which was the coldest SB ever. I sure was surprised...and I was at the game! I still have my ticket stub with its now-ludicrous face value price of $15. :blink:

IMG_1158-1.jpg

Still have these, too.

IMG_1160.jpg

I remember it being cold but turns out the game time temp of 39 is the lowest ever for a Super Bowl.

Nice

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Agreed. Logistics aside, there's also the possibility of one team having a competitive advantage if it's a Southern or dome team vs. one that plays outside in the elements. Let me acknowledge the "they should be able to play in any weather" proponents now; that's true, but regardless, the fact remains that an outdoor cold-weather team would have an advantage in wintery conditions. Same could even be true with two teams not accustomed to winter weather if one's a grind-it-out running team and the other relies primarily on the passing game.

And now teams that are built for an indoor game have an advantage. I don't see the problem with reversing it once in a while.

And that's why dome teams have a sub .500 record in the Super Bowl.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

qMVJ7hf.jpg

Pretty cool. Thanks for sharing.

@ dfwabel, I didn't say I was happy about Ryan. We'll see what he can do but starting off with the defensive performance bar set at "worst in NFL history," I can't help but be somewhat optimistic. The Saints' offense is such that even an average D gives them a good chance to win a lot of games. I think the playoffs is where it gets exposed.

Thinking back to 2009, that was a freakishly opportunistic D the likes of which Saints fans may never see again. That team created 39 turnovers and scored 141 points on returns of various types. That's 2.4 turnovers and almost 9 points a game - ridiculously good. And btw, they had at least a couple of TD returns nullified by penalties. I still think the catalyst was Darren Sharper. That was the only season he had substantial playing time and he was a one-man wrecking crew.

Think about this...the guy played 14 games, made 9 picks and averaged over 42 yards per return while scoring 3 TDs. He had a TD return called back against the Giants.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Competition committee looked at wider, CFL-style field.

With safety in mind, the NFL's competition committee looked at switching to a wider, CFL-style field as recently as a year ago and could examine the idea again, according to a published report.

The committee is scheduled to meet before the Scouting Combine this month. Former committee member Bill Polian told the National Football Post's Dan Pompei the NFL should consider widening the field.

“It's a radical idea, but I think it's worth thinking about,” said Polian, the six-time NFL executive of the year who's now an ESPN analyst. “You would have more space and perhaps a safer game. I say that based on my CFL experience. There are less collisions of that type in the Canadian game.”

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

How much wider is a CFL field again? There's a fair deal of space between the first row and the sidelines in just about every stadium but Soldier Field; they might be able to get away with it. Not that they should.

I hope this isn't meant to vindicate the Bears for hiring a coach who had been out of actual pro football for eight years.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Soldier Field:

Also with the renovation, the front row 50-yard line seats are now only 55 feet away from the sidelines. This was the shortest distance of all NFL stadiums, until MetLife Stadium opened in 2010, with a distance of 46 feet.

They could juuuust barely fit it into anywhere but the Meadowlands, I guess. I know Dolphin Stadium has a ton of space between sideline and seating because it was built to host soccer as well. Still, doesn't seem worth it.

EDIT: derp, that doesn't take into account that the rows usually curve inward. Never mind. Let's not talk about this anymore.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't understand. Seems to me a wider field would mean faster pursuit and players colliding at a higher speed than they do now.

That was my first thought, followed immediately by the stadium size limitations. I think a wider (not longer though) field would be good just from the perspective of making the game better since players are so fast these days that they have kinda outgrown the standard field, but yeah, giving someone an extra 10 feet running start could be very counterproductive to the safety effort.

Would widening the hash marks sort of accomplish the same thing? Or at least half of the same thing? Obviously if the ball is in the middle then no, but if you give one side of the field an extra 10 feet, that would be good right?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I would have bet money that he'd be out of here. Not sure what to say about this.

They are bringing in Dennis Dixon as sort of a "mentor" since he's used to Kelly's system. Can't imagine he'd be a candidate for starter though.

I'd say that this move almost certainly means that Nick Foles will be traded, as I can't imagine that there's any way Vick loses a "competition" considering he stayed in Philly despite probably receiving a starting offer from somewhere else. I would assume he was told he'd start.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Competition committee looked at wider, CFL-style field.

With safety in mind, the NFL's competition committee looked at switching to a wider, CFL-style field as recently as a year ago and could examine the idea again, according to a published report.

The committee is scheduled to meet before the Scouting Combine this month. Former committee member Bill Polian told the National Football Post's Dan Pompei the NFL should consider widening the field.

“It's a radical idea, but I think it's worth thinking about,” said Polian, the six-time NFL executive of the year who's now an ESPN analyst. “You would have more space and perhaps a safer game. I say that based on my CFL experience. There are less collisions of that type in the Canadian game.”

So if the field is widened, how does it work out for all the media people? Because you can't shave out front row seats for field widening, the next approach would be to take away room for media credentials, so that the players can run around freely. Not really gel with this proposal.

Archived