2013 NFL Off-Season Thread

Island_Style

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't feel bad for Flynn. He's on his way to a starting job in the NFL with a team that wants him. I'm sure he's happy as hell.

The Raiders are the ones that look bad here. They got absolutely fleeced by the Bengals when they traded for him, and now they're having to shill him to Arizona for scraps, and you KNOW that Palmer will probably exceed expectations as a Cardinal (not saying he's going to be GOOD, but he can't be much worse than Skelton).

I don't see why the Jags would look bad drafting Geno Smith. Their QB situation is garbage and they're looking to draw big headlines this season what with their new mission statement/uniforms/etc.

I mean, I'm happy for Matt because he's getting a shot to start, but I can't imagine that he's going to succeed with that team. They're such a disaster right now. Especially after the botched trade. It was a reach when it happened and now it just looks even worse.

And I don't think the Jags would look bad, necessarily, I just don't think it's going to help. They have so many needs that throwing one guy (especially one that could be a huge reach) into the most important spot won't really help much, imo. Chad Henne is serviceable enough - I'm still not even convinced Gabbert is that terrible - that they could wait for a better QB class next year.

Remember, Jags got a new gm, coach and owner since Gabbert was drafted. I have a feeling they want to make Geno their cornerstone. Both Caldwell(GM) and Bradley(Coach) cant stop gushing over him. Caldwell is from Atlanta and he likes to compare Geno to Ryan.

I can see them going DE, but QB at #2 is a real possibility. The new regime has patience. They made it no secret that this roster is terrible. I think they just want that patience with their guys. I promise you the Jags will draft a QB. I'm just not sure where.

I just can't imagine that Geno is considered that hot of a commodity to them, meaning they take him at two. I don't doubt at all that they'll draft a QB, but with preaching the patience, wouldn't they wait until a better prospect?

I don't feel bad for Flynn. He's on his way to a starting job in the NFL with a team that wants him. I'm sure he's happy as hell.

The Raiders are the ones that look bad here. They got absolutely fleeced by the Bengals when they traded for him, and now they're having to shill him to Arizona for scraps, and you KNOW that Palmer will probably exceed expectations as a Cardinal (not saying he's going to be GOOD, but he can't be much worse than Skelton).

I don't see why the Jags would look bad drafting Geno Smith. Their QB situation is garbage and they're looking to draw big headlines this season what with their new mission statement/uniforms/etc.

I mean, I'm happy for Matt because he's getting a shot to start, but I can't imagine that he's going to succeed with that team. They're such a disaster right now. Especially after the botched trade. It was a reach when it happened and now it just looks even worse.

And I don't think the Jags would look bad, necessarily, I just don't think it's going to help. They have so many needs that throwing one guy (especially one that could be a huge reach) into the most important spot won't really help much, imo. Chad Henne is serviceable enough - I'm still not even convinced Gabbert is that terrible - that they could wait for a better QB class next year.

Remember, Jags got a new gm, coach and owner since Gabbert was drafted. I have a feeling they want to make Geno their cornerstone. Both Caldwell(GM) and Bradley(Coach) cant stop gushing over him. Caldwell is from Atlanta and he likes to compare Geno to Ryan.

I can see them going DE, but QB at #2 is a real possibility. The new regime has patience. They made it no secret that this roster is terrible. I think they just want that patience with their guys. I promise you the Jags will draft a QB. I'm just not sure where.

I just can't imagine that Geno is considered that hot of a commodity to them, meaning they take him at two. I don't doubt at all that they'll draft a QB, but with preaching the patience, wouldn't they wait until a better prospect?

If I were the Jags, I would give Blaine Gabbert another year. Unless they really think Geno Smith can be a Pro-Bowl caliber QB from almost day one its not worth it to draft him. If they see a potential diamond in the rough QB in the third or fourth round, okay may not be a bad idea to pick there. But the Jags are a team with a lot of problems and looking at the QB's that are going to be available next year, much much deeper talent pool then this year and not for nothing but a six win season would be a good one for Jacksonville, so they will probably have a pretty good shot at landing a Johnny Manziel or a Terry Bridgewater, both of whom I think are better options then Geno Smith. To me the Jags are a team that should just be trying to get as much talent as they can right now and worry about how its all going to fit together later.

The only two teams that I think would be a little nuts for passing up on Geno Smith would be the Bills and the Browns. Unlike the Jaguars I think those teams do need to start worrying about where the talent they currently have is going to fit long term. They have enough building blocks in place and now it should be just a matter of filling in the missing gaps, one of which is QB. If you can live with a solid QB as your starter which is what I think Geno Smith is going to be and as we've seen with teams like the Ravens its possible to win with a solid QB as your starter year in and year out, then I don't see why to pass up Geno Smith, unless you see somebody else out there that you are absolutely convinced can be a perennial all-pro at a position where you need help.

Geno Smith is the only guy I think is first round material. Maybe Ryan Nassib, although I would still say he's a second rounder at best. Any team that takes Matt Barkley in the first round should fire their GM and or head coach on the spot. That's the one guy above anyone else where I would say if your seeing something, its just because your hoping its there.

Personally, i want no part of Geno Smith at #2. Too many holes and a much better crop of QBs next season I think. And it isn't like these Jags aren't going to have a top three pick next season a well ... with or without a solid starting QB. Bringing in Geno would squash any competition for the starting QB spot. He would have to start day 1 if he is the #2 overall pick for the fans to accept the pick.

fP8H4Wf.jpg

Just to throw in my opinion/ I think the Jags #2 pick will either be Geno or Dion Jordan. Im split 50/50.

Any chance they'd go for Fisher? I'm trying to figure out who Jacksonville and Oakland are gonna take but opinions are all over the place.

btw a couple other moves earlier today:

-- DeAngelo Hall returned to Washington for another year

-- Darrius Heyward-Bey signed with the Colts

-- Arizona released John Skelton, then their trade with Oakland for Palmer hit a "snag". Oops

Just to throw in my opinion/ I think the Jags #2 pick will either be Geno or Dion Jordan. Im split 50/50.

Any chance they'd go for Fisher? I'm trying to figure out who Jacksonville and Oakland are gonna take but opinions are all over the place.

I haven't heard much chatter on Fisher. As of today I wouldn't bet on it.

Cardinals released Skelton yesterday.

Gotta assume that Palmer trade is actually on the way, then. (Or they draft one of these QBs way too high.)

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

Gotta assume that Palmer trade is actually on the way, then. (Or they draft one of these QBs way too high.)

Oddly enough this deal was considered done earlier today, but it looks like Palmer might've pissed in everyone's cornflakes. "Trade me to the 49ers or Patriots or something, I'm not playing for some crappy bullcrap crap team!"

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Oddly enough this deal was considered done earlier today, but it looks like Palmer might've pissed in everyone's cornflakes. "Trade me to the 49ers or Patriots or something, I'm not playing for some crappy bullcrap crap team!"

That's so Cardinals!

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

That's so Cardinals!

What...what are the Cardinals doing? Anyone? You got your new awesome stadium, you have a world-beating wide out in the final years of his prime, and a young scrappy defense on the come. The offensive line is a project and there's still holes to fill like any other team in the NFL, but is Carson Palmer really the best option here?

I'd like to think that Palmer being a foot-stomping bucket of douche-slop has given the Cardinals pause in acquiring him and his bloated price tag. Hoping that he's another Kurt Warner stopgap until they learn how to draft a quarterback is a fairly enormous risk depending on what Oakland wants for him. The Raiders are in absolutely no position to negotiate here,

If I was Rod Graves I'd bleed the Raiders for a king's ransom if they want to get Palmer's cancerous attitude out of their locker room so quickly. They were stupid enough to shill out valuable draft picks to acquire him; punish the Raiders for their failure. Bruce Arians has come into this gig with much aplomb and I highly doubt that topping his priority list is catering to a diva quarterback who's pissed he's not wearing a Patriots uniform.

Good luck, Carson.

sack.gif

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Local draft news: The Jags will be drafting a QB. Just a matter of when. Bradley has met with Manuel, Smith, Barkley and Glennon. Nassib is next.

Caldwell (Jags GM) gave some hints who is looking at for the team's first pick. The frontrunners are Dion Jordan, Geno Smith, and Sharrif Floyd.

EDIT: The Jags just signed another DT. I think Floyd is even less likely to be drafted.

That's so Cardinals!

What...what are the Cardinals doing? Anyone? You got your new awesome stadium, you have a world-beating wide out in the final years of his prime, and a young scrappy defense on the come. The offensive line is a project and there's still holes to fill like any other team in the NFL, but is Carson Palmer really the best option here?

I'd like to think that Palmer being a foot-stomping bucket of douche-slop has given the Cardinals pause in acquiring him and his bloated price tag. Hoping that he's another Kurt Warner stopgap until they learn how to draft a quarterback is a fairly enormous risk depending on what Oakland wants for him. The Raiders are in absolutely no position to negotiate here,

If I was Rod Graves I'd bleed the Raiders for a king's ransom if they want to get Palmer's cancerous attitude out of their locker room so quickly. They were stupid enough to shill out valuable draft picks to acquire him; punish the Raiders for their failure. Bruce Arians has come into this gig with much aplomb and I highly doubt that topping his priority list is catering to a diva quarterback who's pissed he's not wearing a Patriots uniform.

Good luck, Carson.

sack.gif

If you were Rod Graves, you would not be making the trade since you were fired on Dec. 31. Steve Keim was promoted to GM.

Local draft news: The Jags will be drafting a QB. Just a matter of when. Bradley has met with Manuel, Smith, Barkley and Glennon. Nassib is next.

Caldwell (Jags GM) gave some hints who is looking at for the team's first pick. The frontrunners are Dion Jordan, Geno Smith, and Sharrif Floyd.

EDIT: The Jags just signed another DT. I think Floyd is even less likely to be drafted.

My money's on Jordan, but my money isn't worth too much when it comes to the Jags. Nassib is a quality QB that could be one hell of a steal in the second day, if they decide they can wait that long.

My money's on Jordan, but my money isn't worth too much when it comes to the Jags. Nassib is a quality QB that could be one hell of a steal in the second day, if they decide they can wait that long.

I can see that. I can see them using their second for a QB. I guess that is their thinking. If no one is better than Geno, he gets picked at #2. If not, Jordan at #2 and most likely that other QB at #33. I wish I had a better idea of who they liked most worthy of #33. They are being more quiet on that. Easier for someone to take him before #33. They can talk about Geno. No one will trade KC to take him.

Nassib is going to be interesting to watch at the draft. The Bills' new coach, Doug Marrone, coached Nassib at Syracuse and brought his OC from Syracuse to be OC with the Bills. Even if Marrone doesn't want to draft Nassib, every other team will certainly think he wants him.

Archived