2013 NFL Off-Season Thread

Island_Style

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't it true that NFL merchandise sales benefit the NFL as a whole; that a purchase of a Cowboys hat counts the same as a Dolphins hat as a Jaguars hat?

I think Kaepernick's ultimate responsibility is to the NFLPA and NFL first, his individual team second. As we know, players can get cut just as easily as they can be signed. While the 49ers gave him opportunity last year, they can just as easily do to him what they did to Alex Smith.

That is what I was saying earlier. The Dolphins and 49ers are part of the same business. It is like a Hardee's franchise owner wearing a Carl Jr's hat.

Would I be frustrated if I was a 49ers fan? Yes, but people are getting way too worked up about it. I believe someone here said "It's a :censored: ing hat"? And enough with saying a "rival" team's hat. It's the Dolphins. He plays for the 49ers. Is there any emotion one way or the other between the two? It's not a rival. They aren't in the same division, not to mention the same conference. If it was Seahawks hat, then he's probably being intentionally inflammatory... Actually, that makes me wonder. What would the response be if he was wearing a Russell Wilson Seahawks jersey? That I would just find funny.

Here's Warren Sapp getting off the plane for Super Bowl XXXVII, after the Bucs had just defeated the Eagles in the Championship Game.

SappJaws.jpg

At least he wasn't wearing a McNabb jersey...

If you are a pro athlete, you shouldn't even own apparel of other teams in your league.

Why?

I know we'd all like to pretend that athletes are just like the fans, disliking the same teams and players we dislike, but it's just not the case. These guys are adults with their own lives, are they supposed to put that on hold just so fans can pretend that their favorite players are "just like them"?

He deserves a talking to about how wearing another NFL team's gear will upset some of their fans, that's all.

He didn't do anything to warrant a "talking to." Furthermore, any fan who actually gets upset over this needs to get over themselves.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

null_zps748a1b42.jpg

"Is this the hat y'all mad at? I'm gonna wear what I want regardless of what you think."

Pretty well put, IMO.

Also, lol wait what, this isn't well put at all. He sounds like when Cartman went on Springer. I DO WHAT I WAWNT

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Even if all the "it's just a hat, who cares" people are totally right, the backlash this creates pretty much should tell athletes just don't do it. There is nothing to be gained and no reason to do it beyond "check out how I do whatever I want to do". Frankly that's a bad message from the player in a leadership position on a team.

The Brewer hat was not the same thing. The Packers are not the Brewers. He may not have even made the connection when he chose the hat. But, as I said, no matter how correct the apologists may be (and I don't think they are correct, but in either case), there is no reason to give people reason to criticize.

I don't think he should get in trouble and I don't think it indicates diminished loyalty to his current team. On the grand scale of bad stuff athletes do, this is not that high on the list. However, someone involved with the team's PR machine must have really cringed when they saw this and rightly so. Do not wear clothing of a rival team when you play for a pro team. And every team in the league is a rival. This is no different than if he'd worn a Seahawk/Ram/Cardinal hat. Wear a Dodger cap if you want...It's OK to be a fan of your city's rival in another sports...the Giants are not the Niners...but no Vikings, Cowboys, Jets or other NFL. It's called being aware, being professional and being a grown-up. Doing what you want "just because you can" yields un-needed criticism and the team (i.e., his employer) has every right to say "don't do that."

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

It's the kind of thing that shouldn't matter, but does, like whether you should be able to eat with a fork in your left hand.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

If this were 1983 and he were Herschel Walker wearing a Cowboys hat instead of whatever USFL team he played for then it'd be different. Letting this issue roll off everyone's back would be good for our collective priorities. It's sports; relax.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Say what you will about the Patriots, Robert Kraft is probably the best owner in all of sports.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

What Kaepaernick did is called being disrespectful of the 49ers. He, and no doubt some here, will probably need to look that word up.

But does the organization really find it disrespectful? It isn't much different from an American Airlines employee wearing an American Eagle Airlines hat on his off day at the beach.

The comparison would be more valid if you postulated an American Airlines employee wearing a Delta or United cap. American Eagle is a regional feeder for American, owned by the same parent company, and not a competitor.

The NFL maintains a polite fiction that its teams are all branches of the same corporation for the purposes of avoiding antitrust action, but in practice they are direct competitors in a very limited marketplace. Each team is its own legal entity, separately owned and operating only under some shared agreements with the others. Not analogous at all.

So it's more like a KFC employee wearing a Pizza Hut or Taco Bell hat. They're all under the same corporate umbrella of "Yum!" but are direct competitors for your crappy fast food money.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Is KFC franchised? I honestly don't know. But if it is, then that franchise's owner might have a negative opinion of his employee (if such a high-profile employee is possible) publicly identifying with another branch of the corporate tree, one that he has no stake in and which directly competes with his business. Presuming a franchise model, employees don't work for Yum. They work for the franchised entity. Just as quarterbacks don't work for the NFL, they work for an independent team that competes within that organization.

I'm not sure this really is a big deal, but neither is it nothing.

Is KFC franchised? I honestly don't know. But if it is, then that franchise's owner might have a negative opinion of his employee (if such a high-profile employee is possible) publicly identifying with another branch of the corporate tree, one that he has no stake in and which directly competes with his business. Presuming a franchise model, employees don't work for Yum. They work for the franchised entity. Just as quarterbacks don't work for the NFL, they work for an independent team that competes within that organization.

Then why does the NFL handle labor disputes rather than the individual owners? Also, this isn't like Yum. When Taco Bell employees go on strike, KFC employees stay and fry chicken. When 49er players go on strike, so do Dolphin players.

In this land of revenue sharing, they are on the same team. It isn't like Kaepernick put up a billboard in SF with him in a Dolphins hat saying WATCH THIS TEAM INSTEAD!

In this land of revenue sharing, they are on the same team.

And it is called the NFLPA and their marketing arm, NFL Players, Inc.

Archived