The 2013 NHL Season Thread

charger77

*a whole lot of stuff about the Blue Jackets and start times*

I wasn't trying to compare Columbus to Detroit. It was only to illustrate that if you build a good hockey team then the problems associated with start times and tv viewership kind of solve themselves. Columbus won't suddenly become a playoff contender now that they only have to travel to the east coast instead of the west coast, and their tv viewership (ie the fanbase) won't suddenly improve because they're still in the very early processes of rebuilding an already bad team. The growing fanbase in Columbus, I suspect, will support and watch a winner. Regardless of if that winner is playing its road games at the Staples Centre or MSG.

Columbus will support a winner regardless of where they play their road games, there's no doubt in my mind, but ratings are guaranteed to be higher when the road games are at MSG. Higher ratings = more eyeballs = more potential fans = more people in the arena = more money for one of the league's franchises and so on. It'll be good for the league.

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getzlaf signed an 8-year extension. I expected him to re-sign; he seemed genuine when saying that he wanted to return, and the mopey, sad-sack Getzlaf of last year is long gone. No idea what Perry's going to do, as he's become the enigma.

Eight years is the maximum a team can re-sign its own player for in the new CBA. Only three players currently have a cap hit larger than Getzlaf's will be (Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin).

I agree with everything the Six said. With him being the captain and his expanding family really setting roots down in Orange County, I always thought he'd be the easier of the two to re-sign and figured he would. He has more to gain by staying in Anaheim than had he gone anywhere else, I think. And yea, he's really stepped up as a leader this season more than he had in previous years with the C.

Perry I've always thought as more valuable to the Ducks, but also the bigger flight risk. He has no family ties here yet. Nothing to keep him around except his playing buddy and team loyalty. He isn't exactly lighting the world on fire in his contract year. Maybe this season makes him easier to keep, but I also think he's going to at least test the market. With Getzlaf's deal, he knows what he'd make in Anaheim. (Just like the last time, I'd expect the Ducks would sign them to identical deals. And I think signing Getzlaf first is an advantage to keeping Perry. They love playing together.) I think he'd like to see Toronto's offer though.

That is a pretty big contract though... (Supposedly, the Ducks can now get some revenue sharing money in the new CBA, so maybe that helps?)

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Revenue sharing won't help when the cap drops.

They can still break the bank on Perry as well at the peril of returning to being as shallow as the ponds that host their namesake. Selanne will free up space if he retires for realz.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Today was declared "Blackhawks Day" at my office, and we all get to wear Hawks shirts/jerseys in lieu of the bussiness casual we normally wear on Fridays. Needless to say, there are fake jerseys galore, and these are mostly from middle-aged women. I don't know if they are borrowing them from their kids or what. Anyway, I just saw one of the high-ups wearing a knock-off. This guy might be making half a mil for all I know, and he is wearing a $30 jersey with a yellow Indian face bought out of the back of some guy's car.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I kind of get the sense Perry wants out, or at least wants to hit the open market. He and Getzlaf now are like the two childhood friends from a small town. They've grown up together (the draft), played together (on the same line), lost their virginity together (2007), but now that they're grown up they want different things.

Getzlaf married his local-girl sweetheart and wants to stay and invest in the family gardening business, but Perry thinks he can get bigger and better things heading off for the big city. And as much as Getzy wants to keep his buddy around, he knows that they aren't kids anymore; they're adults, with different values. Getzlaf chooses to stay, raise a family, and open the biggest orange orchard that town has ever seen. Perry goes off to Canada to try his hand at raising and selling trees. And that's how Corey's Toronto Maple Leaves opens for business.

Revenue sharing won't help when the cap drops.

They can still break the bank on Perry as well at the peril of returning to being as shallow as the ponds that host their namesake. Selanne will free up space if he retires for realz.

According to capgeek, they've got around $19M in cap space next year without Perry/Selanne/Koivu/Palmieri/Beleskey/Lydman/Lovejoy on the books. I'd suspect RFA Palmieri gets some probably around $2.5M or $3M. Teemu and Saku combine to a little over $8M if they come back. Beleskey probably gets 800/900K. Lydman's gone if I call the shots, and while Lovejoy's been good and pretty cheap at 525K, the Ducks have two young d-men (Vatanen and Lindholm) that might just be ready for next year.

So basically thats around $12-13M spent before Perry's even factored in, if Teemu and Saku come back. The Ducks never spend to the cap (except in and around the Cup year), so that's where I put the hope of revenue sharing helping out a bit to push the salary towards the cap. If Teemu and Saku both leave, the Ducks are going to be hard pressed to find replacements (as much as you can replace Teemu Selanne) unless the young kids continue to improve towards a top-6ish level (which guys like Holland or Etem certainly could).

Basically, yeah, it's going to be tough goings, especially if they old guys come back. Then Ryan only has two years left. Everyone on D except Fowler has two years. Hiller has one year left.

---

Six, unfortunately I feel that comparison is very apt.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I'm not seeing any comeback tonight, but they were bound to lose at some point.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Damn you, Denver!!! Other than the defending Cup champs, the 'Hawks were the goodride story of this post-lockout season. Here comes Colorado, however, and the Avs break Chicago's heart and spirit, 6-2. Back to irrelevancy goes the NHL.

Archived