The 2013 NHL Season Thread

charger77

Kane's definitely not off-base. Look what happened with Joel Ward last year.

Racism in the Joel Ward situation does not validate or prove Kane's notion that any critique of his play or actions are racially motivated.

Hockey fans dislike arrogance and anything that takes focus away from the team and attempts to place it onto himself as superior or better than any one indivivual on the said team. Thats why some people had/have had issues with things that the likes of Jagr, Ovechkin, Avery, Yakupov, Heatley, and Radulov among others have done. Thats also why people have issues with Kane. Taking a picture with a stack and posting it to a public forum is arrogant, no way around it. To come out and say dislike for him is racially motivated when I've yet to see any evidence of racism towards him, just shows he views himself as different which is part of the issue as well. He says his favourite player is Iginla, where is all the criticism of Iginla then? There isn't any, because he is classy, hard working, respectable player. Not that Kane isn't hard working or anything but you see the things this guy tweets at times, and obviously people will respond negatively, just has they have responded negatively to things said by "white" players in the past. Arrogance has no skin colour, and arrogance is the issue here, considering we've heard more over Yakupov goal celebration a few weeks back than anything we have over Kane.

Well you could argue that hockey people are more prejudiced towards Russian players than they are towards black players. I understand that it's the arrogance that the fans/media don't like, I think that Russian and black players will earn a reputation as a "cocky" player a lot faster than a white North American or Scandinavian would. P.K. Subban is a perfect example of this. While he isn't completely undeserving of his reputation, I think a lot of instances have gotten blown out of proportion because of his skin colour.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kane's definitely not off-base. Look what happened with Joel Ward last year.

Racism in the Joel Ward situation does not validate or prove Kane's notion that any critique of his play or actions are racially motivated.

Hockey fans dislike arrogance and anything that takes focus away from the team and attempts to place it onto himself as superior or better than any one indivivual on the said team. Thats why some people had/have had issues with things that the likes of Jagr, Ovechkin, Avery, Yakupov, Heatley, and Radulov among others have done. Thats also why people have issues with Kane. Taking a picture with a stack and posting it to a public forum is arrogant, no way around it. To come out and say dislike for him is racially motivated when I've yet to see any evidence of racism towards him, just shows he views himself as different which is part of the issue as well. He says his favourite player is Iginla, where is all the criticism of Iginla then? There isn't any, because he is classy, hard working, respectable player. Not that Kane isn't hard working or anything but you see the things this guy tweets at times, and obviously people will respond negatively, just has they have responded negatively to things said by "white" players in the past. Arrogance has no skin colour, and arrogance is the issue here, considering we've heard more over Yakupov goal celebration a few weeks back than anything we have over Kane.

Well you could argue that hockey people are more prejudiced towards Russian players than they are towards black players. I understand that it's the arrogance that the fans/media don't like, I think that Russian and black players will earn a reputation as a "cocky" player a lot faster than a white North American or Scandinavian would. P.K. Subban is a perfect example of this. While he isn't completely undeserving of his reputation, I think a lot of instances have gotten blown out of proportion because of his skin colour.

I agree 100% that hockey fans are more prejudiced towards Russian players than black players. Again Subban is arrogant, and as much as people can say it's a skin issue I often feel as if some players make the issue themselves. I feel some have a chip on their shoulders because they feel like they have to prove something being a black player in a so called "white mans game".

untitled-6.jpg

I dislike PK Subban only because he is a frickin' dirty player, and I'm sure that's the sentiment of the vast majority of his critics. Apart from Wayne Simmonds (another guy who does his reputation no favors with the way he plays) getting a banana thrown at him, I have never seen race be an issue in the NHL. There have been enough memorable black players, such as Iginla, Fuhr, Emery, Weekes, Grier, Byfuglien, Laraque, and Brashear, that I don't think anyone actually thinks just because someone is black they are bad at hockey or automatically draw more criticism. That's like saying just because someone is white they are bad at basketball, and yet there's Larry Bird and Steve Nash.

Pittsburgh Arsenal - Elite Football League (NFL) - 2006  |  New Orleans JazzCats - Major League Hockey (AHL) - 2023

Patrick Sharp with one of the cheapest moves I've seen in an NHL game. Grabs the defencemans stick and smacks himself in the face with it. Maybe Blackhawk fans can remember this next time they rip on the Canucks for their alleged embellishment and diving.

burrows.jpg

Bergeron's word over Burrows, simple as that... There is zero definitive evidence that bite ocurred and from this picture it appears as though it didn't. The end of the finger is clearly outside burrow's teeth. Besides what was Bergeron doing sticking his finger in someone's mouth anyways? Even if he did bite it (his glove that is), could you really blame him? I wouldn't want someones finger stuck in my mouth against my will...

Patrick Sharp with one of the cheapest moves I've seen in an NHL game. Grabs the defencemans stick and smacks himself in the face with it. Maybe Blackhawk fans can remember this next time they rip on the Canucks for their alleged embellishment and diving.

burrows.jpg

Bergeron's word over Burrows, simple as that... There is zero definitive evidence that bite ocurred and from this picture it appears as though it didn't. The end of the finger is clearly outside burrow's teeth. Besides what was Bergeron doing sticking his finger in someone's mouth anyways? Even if he did bite it (his glove that is), could you really blame him? I wouldn't want someones finger stuck in my mouth against my will...

Watch the video again. Bergeron flips out shortly after Burrows lowers his head and even tries to hide behind left glove. He wasn't as much "sticking his finger in someone's mouth" as much as he was simply putting his glove on Burrows face; similar to what Burrows was trying to do to Bergeron.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

The less math the better, though your Leafs will more than likely be in a position for the playoffs if they continue to play the way they did against the Bruins. I know I throw jabs at the Leafs fans from time to time (friendly rivalry, you know), but they actually impressed me a few weeks back. Have they been playing like this all season? Unfortunately, I'm not able to watch much hockey outside of the Bruins due to my schedule, so my taste of the Maple Leafs has been limited to that one game against Boston. Their record looks nice; is that reflective of how well they've been playing?

Aside from a few spotty moments from the goaltending, the Leafs have played very well. Honestly, if I were to pick one game to best prove it, it would be the Boston game. The D has been steady and the offense consistent; even when they're not scoring, they're at least getting a lot of chances. They're actually being tough to play against, much like the Bruins, and aren't being pushed around like school girls by true competition.

Of course, I don't want to get too excited too early, but considering the main liabilities from last year are either gone or playing a lot less (Gustavsson, Schenn, Komisarek), that some of the bright spots from last year are playing more and making the most of it (Kadri, Frattin, Franson), and that the two most consistent players from last year (Gardiner and Lupul) aren't even back yet, I can't help but to feel kind of optimistic about the Leafs' playoff chances this year.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

"I love living in a split market where the two closest teams black me out and i cant watch either of them when the select broadcast is available, or at least should be." -Said No One EVER.

Seriously, my tv guide says that the Preds game is supposed to available on Fox Sports tonight in my market. I go to the channel to find Georgia Tech Basketball. Ok, no big deal. I get on Game Center Live and guess what? I'm blacked out. I try to watch the Canes game on GCL, blacked out too. Wanna hear something that nobody has ever said? "The NHL does a phenomenal at trying to spread the game and making new fans on tv."

Anybody else have issues like this?

Braves.jpg

BigMac's posts make me want to punch babies.

Hockey is weird and I love it.

TV blackouts are just a dumb concept in general anyway.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

See, this is what I'm talking about with the Leafs. No consistency. Sure they'll look terrific for stretches but the bottom always falls out. I'm not saying they should be putting up 5-6 goals a game, but they simply do not look like a team that belongs in the playoffs tonight.

See, this is what I'm talking about with the Leafs. No consistency. Sure they'll look terrific for stretches but the bottom always falls out. I'm not saying they should be putting up 5-6 goals a game, but they simply do not look like a team that belongs in the playoffs tonight.

In fairness - and this is likely my optimism showing, mind you - but they've been pretty consistent so far this year, much more through the first 10-15 games than in recent years, and even the Bruins and Penguins of the league have their bad games. Obviously I'm not trying to compare Toronto to the marquee teams of the league, but they've won 5 of their last 7 leading up to the Carolina game, and one of those losses was against the 'Canes. They weren't going to play like that forever, and a game like that should be expected and shouldn't take away from how they've played so far this year. Basically, while it's obvious they're not going to keep their play up, I don't think it's quite time to label them a Jekyll-Hyde team like those of the post-Sundin era. Once again, though, cautious optimism.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

burrows.jpg

Watch the video again. Bergeron flips out shortly after Burrows lowers his head and even tries to hide behind left glove. He wasn't as much "sticking his finger in someone's mouth" as much as he was simply putting his glove on Burrows face; similar to what Burrows was trying to do to Bergeron.

Seen the video plenty of times... still no evidence of a bite. Hence every article referring to it calls it an "Alleged bite."

"I love living in a split market where the two closest teams black me out and i cant watch either of them when the select broadcast is available, or at least should be." -Said No One EVER.

Seriously, my tv guide says that the Preds game is supposed to available on Fox Sports tonight in my market. I go to the channel to find Georgia Tech Basketball. Ok, no big deal. I get on Game Center Live and guess what? I'm blacked out. I try to watch the Canes game on GCL, blacked out too. Wanna hear something that nobody has ever said? "The NHL does a phenomenal at trying to spread the game and making new fans on tv."

Anybody else have issues like this?

MLB does the exact same thing. If your team doesn't have every single game televised (this can be common with midweek afternoon games) you can't go on MLB.tv or Extra Innings to watch the away team's broadcast either.

TV blackouts are just a dumb concept in general anyway.

Especially when they are the NHL. You aren't popular enough to have them, Gary.

It has nothing to do with popularity. The local sports networks demand them to protect their contracts. If you aren't paying for cable to watch games they aren't getting paid. And if they aren't getting people to watch they can't make as much ad money and aren't willing to spend as much on the rights to broadcast the games in the first place.

1zgyd8w.jpg

I'd pay a surcharge to the RSN on a league package to get the local games and not pay for extended-tier cable. This will happen eventually as the traditional cable model decays and decays.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived