Canadian Rugby Premiership

nas1787

I've been doing some research and/or trying to find a name suitable for the Victoria team in the Premiership. Like others, I'm not really a fan of Pacific Northwest. But, having spent some time trying to find something, I can see the difficulty in coming up with a name that would represent the Island. Here's what I have come up with - Golden Hinde RFC. The Golden Hinde is the tallest mountain peak on Vancouver Island. It is located in Strathcona Park on northern Vancouver Island. The location of the Golden HInde itself may be the problem. It is a long way from Victoria. It's really difficult to find something that Victorians and other Islanders could identify with. Victoria is very different from the rest of the Island.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been doing some research and/or trying to find a name suitable for the Victoria team in the Premiership. Like others, I'm not really a fan of Pacific Northwest. But, having spent some time trying to find something, I can see the difficulty in coming up with a name that would represent the Island. Here's what I have come up with - Golden Hinde RFC. The Golden Hinde is the tallest mountain peak on Vancouver Island. It is located in Strathcona Park on northern Vancouver Island. The location of the Golden HInde itself may be the problem. It is a long way from Victoria. It's really difficult to find something that Victorians and other Islanders could identify with. Victoria is very different from the rest of the Island.

Thanks for the suggestions. I also thought maybe just using Pacific and dropping Northwest could work. Maybe Pacific RFC, or Pacific Islanders RFC (though that sounds more like Fiji than Canada). Pacific _____ RFC might be the way to go. Any suggestions for the blank?

Lose the brown sash, and Calgary would look perfect.

I'll think about it. I'm quite fond of the sash, I feel like it differentiates the kit.

Let's head east to Quebec City. Harlequins are a well-known rugby club in England, and the name is used quite a bit in rugby (the club in my hometown of Brantford is the Harlequins). There's also a club in France's Top 14 that uses the Arlequins name. I liked the idea of using the French version as it doesn't sound like a complete rip-off of Harlequins.

The kits both use a harlequin type of pattern with the Quebec colours of light blue and white. The alternate kit is meant to be a bit flashier and out there, while the home kit is classier.

4gw0JSF.jpg

This is just if you're going for realism, which isn't a big deal to me but seems to be what you're aiming for: I know the Vancouver Grizzlies were originally going to be the Vancouver Mounties, but the RCMP intervened. By Canadian law the RCMP has full control over the "Mountie" identity.

rATMcmK.png

This is a great series. Very well thought out. The CRP logo is pure class. Simple, yet identifiable.

I like all of the concepts you've posted so far. Calgary is my favorite. Definitely KEEP the sash. And the alternate being modeled on the less formal uniforms is a great idea. My only critique would be the color scheme for the Victoria team. The green/blue motif seems a bit overused these days. I'd love to see something that strays from convention. But even if you keep it, it's a very nice concept.

gYH2mW9.png

Thanks for the suggestions. I also thought maybe just using Pacific and dropping Northwest could work. Maybe Pacific RFC, or Pacific Islanders RFC (though that sounds more like Fiji than Canada). Pacific _____ RFC might be the way to go. Any suggestions for the blank?

I'll think about it. I'm quite fond of the sash, I feel like it differentiates the kit.

Pacific RFC is good. Or Pacific Coast RFC. And yeah, the Quebec kit is great.

This is just if you're going for realism, which isn't a big deal to me but seems to be what you're aiming for: I know the Vancouver Grizzlies were originally going to be the Vancouver Mounties, but the RCMP intervened. By Canadian law the RCMP has full control over the "Mountie" identity.

I was wondering about the Mounties. In fact, back in 2010 I believe, the Canadian rugby league team took the name Mounties, but then changed it to Wolverines about two months later.

I like it all so far. None of the kits are too over the top and they're readily identifiable. On Calgary I'd definitely keep the sash but probably just that. The way it turns into a belt hem stripe is a bit much for me so I could do without that part. Again, great stuff so far, I'll be holding out further comments for when you finish the whole league

Midway.png

Pacific RFC is good. Or Pacific Coast RFC. And yeah, the Quebec kit is great.

How about British Columbia Islands, Oak Bay or San Juan Straits?

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

I think Pacific RFC would work as no other province has any Pacific coastline.

I do think Mounties wouldn't fly in real life, but as this is a fnatasy type thing--call it whatever you want.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. For Victoria, I'm leaning towards Pacific Coast RFC, but keep the ideas coming.

From Pacific to Atlantic, here's Halifax's club, Atlantic Confederation RC. I could use some help on this one. While I am happy with the crest, I'm not satisfied with the kits as they stand, particularly the alternate. Any suggestions on how to best use the 4 colours of red, yellow, blue and white in the kit design would be greatly appreciated.

The crest is based on maritime flags. The shield is split into 4 sections, each with its own maritime flag design. If read from left to right, top to bottom, it reads ACRC, the initials of the club. I like how everything works in 4s for this design. 4 parts of the shield, 4 colours, representing 4 Atlantic provinces (Newfoundland, PEI, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick). The name Confederation also alludes to this 4 province representation, as well as the Charlottetown Conference where Canadian Confederation was first discussed.

Y4AfiNF.jpg

All these sets look great! You did a fantastic research job and the designs you came up with are a thing of beauty. It's tough to pick a favourite but I'll go with the Mounties for its originality. Can't wait to see the rest!

5737a3a4-1de5-426d-a5eb-067469bdd6e3.jpg

May I suggest the Vancouver Island Crimson Tide? That was the name of the most successful team in the old Rugby Canada Super League. They won a total of 4 championships, the most out of all of the teams during the league's 11 year run. I'm not sure if the club still exists in some way shape or form but one thing I do know is that Victoria is RICH with rugby history so there should not be any problem finding a name somewhere within the history of the game.

Thanks for all the input everyone. I think I will introduce the rest of the teams and then make decisions about any necessary rebranding. So keep the ideas coming.

Next up are Saskatchewan. I've based the team in Saskatoon rather than Regina for a couple reasons: 1) It's bigger, and growing faster, and 2) Regina already has the Roughriders.

The colours of green and gold are based on the Saskatchewan flag. I'm not set on the crest here as I realize that a team with the name Prairie Dogs should probably have a prairie dog logo. But I'm really not a fan of angry animal logos, and my design skills kind of limit my ability. So instead I went with a simple shield, wheat, and wordmark. The two kits are pretty similar, both featuring a wheat sash. Let em know what you think.

LVD4oMo.jpg

Archived