Houston 1836

shaydre1019

I was browsing the mls logos and forgot how beautiful the 1836 logo was. For those who don't know, that was the original name chosen for Houston when San Jose relocated there. Here's the story, http://www.chron.com/sports/dynamo/article/Houston-soccer-team-will-86-its-1836-name-1881955.php .

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has seen any uniform, secondary, wordmarks, or any other kinda logos that were considered or would have been used with this set.

http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/6906/Houston_Dynamo/2006/Unused_Logo

Precisely. Dead and buried.

Just like all them Mexicans us Texans done killed!

Too soon?

Dude I'm Mexican and from Texas and the dynamo are the team I support an I don't fin the name offensive whatsoever. Honestly this sounds bad but most Mexicans probably aren't smart enough to realize the significance of that date.

It seems like it was politicians mainly that one chick from the article that pushed for the name change.

I don't have a problem with dynamo I just really thnk that logo was lovely.

Too soon?

Dude I'm Mexican and from Texas and the dynamo are the team I support an I don't fin the name offensive whatsoever. Honestly this sounds bad but most Mexicans probably aren't smart enough to realize the significance of that date.

It seems like it was politicians mainly that one chick from the article that pushed for the name change.

... regardless of your thoughts on Mexicans and all, several of them are offended by the date (even though 1836 just so happened to be the exact same year Houston was founded as a city) and you have to think about that if you own the team.

Think about it. You're in a city, in a state with a heavy Mexican/Mexican American population. Do you really want to risk your alienating biggest fan base (which it is) by keeping that? Maybe if the team was founded sometime early in the last century like the Redskins, the '1836' name would stay, despite calls to get rid of it. However, it was a San Jose Earthquakes team who moved to H-town in the middle part of the last decade, which is very 'PC' heavy.

Can't win with certain things, ya know? It was a good move by the organization.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

While it wasn't PC enough to become the team's official identity, I like that 1836 logo (though I can understand why it wasn't picked).

I like how the unused logo shows how a Light Orange*/Black color scheme would work. Not to say that the Dynamo's addition of Light Blue wasn't a bad idea, either, but I'd love to see a Light Orange/Black team.

*Not unlike Creamsicle Orange.

Too soon?

... regardless of your thoughts on Mexicans and all, several of them are offended by the date (even though 1836 just so happened to be the exact same year Houston was founded as a city) and you have to think about that if you own the team.

Think about it. You're in a city, in a state with a heavy Mexican/Mexican American population. Do you really want to risk your alienating biggest fan base (which it is) by keeping that? Maybe if the team was founded sometime early in the last century like the Redskins, the '1836' name would stay, despite calls to get rid of it. However, it was a San Jose Earthquakes team who moved to H-town in the middle part of the last decade, which is very 'PC' heavy.

Can't win with certain things, ya know? It was a good move by the organization.

I honestly don't think they'd be offended though, I live in an area where Mexicans are the majority and all my family is Mexican, I also have alot of family in Houston who are also mexican, and I can't think of an instance where any of them know or would be offended by 1836.

I think it was just politicians trying to make a statement.

I understand not wanting to offend the fan base, but I honestly just don't think it's that big a deal and I was blown out of proportion.

I think you're underestimating the backlash against the name.

Maybe not all Houstonians of Hispanic descent objected, but enough did that the team decided to change the name. This wasn't just a city councilwoman with a grudge.

Bingo. There wasn't a huge backlash, but there was enough of one, and the team had to kill that. Look at it from their point of view: they are moving to a new market in a sport where you have to hustle to get all the attention and dollars you can. This isn't the NFL, where the Redskins can blow off any criticism of their mascot. It's MLS, where they need all the positive attention they can get. Better to get your fanbase 100% on board in a new market, instead of 85-90%. And it worked: there Hispanic support for the Dynamo is HUGE.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Maybe not all Houstonians of Hispanic descent objected, but enough did that the team decided to change the name. This wasn't just a city councilwoman with a grudge.

Really?

First off it wasn't a city councilwoman, it was a (race hustling) county commissioner who was turned out of office by the voters soon after, despite a heavy Latino presence in her district. There was no popular uprising, just some weak-kneed owners who wet their pants when she barked.

But it does say something ominous when 1836 has become a liability. Imagine the 76ers having to change their name due to politics. Ironically, they are the HOUSTON Dynamo, Houston being named for Sam Houston who commanded the troops in the rout at San Jacinto. Maybe they should change the name of the whole damn city?

FsQiF2W.png

It's clearly worked out for the best. Clearly, and by far the strongest soccer market in Texas. Although Dallas (attendance wise) has not put up much of a fight. The San Antonio Scorpions of the NASL get better crowds on occasion compared to Dallas

Really?

First off it wasn't a city councilwoman, it was a (race hustling) county commissioner who was turned out of office by the voters soon after, despite a heavy Latino presence in her district. There was no popular uprising, just some weak-kneed owners who wet their pants when she barked.

But it does say something ominous when 1836 has become a liability. Imagine the 76ers having to change their name due to politics. Ironically, they are the HOUSTON Dynamo, Houston being named for Sam Houston who commanded the troops in the rout at San Jacinto. Maybe they should change the name of the whole damn city?

This is exactly how I feel. I don't wanna say the b word, but she seems like someone who just wanted to make a scene and get her name out there.

And if 1836 is in fact the name of a supporter group that just goes to show how unoffensive that was.

Imagine the 76ers having to change their name due to politics.

I'm surprised MeCHA, La Raza and all the other immigrant groups haven't told the Sixers franchise to do so already, given the spew they have for 1776 being the year "illegal white settlers" declared independence on the British and on natives, as they would say.

Then again, these groups have failed to link their immigration/race issues to sports. There's this whole "Houston 1836" thing on this board. Then there's the time they wanted all Latinos to boycott everything-Arizona for their "show me your papers" legislation, including sports teams.

Yeah, it's the Suns' and Diamondbacks' fault for Hispanics fearing being told by cops to handover documentation. They are the causes of such legislation to pass.

1836's logo actually ended up being used by one of the supporter groups.

And if 1836 is in fact the name of a supporter group that just goes to show how unoffensive that was.

tumblr_lokjn2ApYf1qg8tl2.gif

It's only ironic if it's true. I don't see them as a recognized supporters group - there are the Texian Army, El Batallón, La Bateria, and Brickwall. None of which use that logo. So did this group die out? Rename? Was it ever a serious supporters group in the first place? Because if it was just a couple of guys who "don't see what the problem with the old logo is", then that doesn't tell us anything about the larger community.

Archived