New Vikings Uniforms

jakemon08

Joking aside, is this any different than the "Tailored in England" tags Umbro put on their kits? To me, elements like these show that the designers go beyond the minmum scope. Designing the entire uniform as opposed to just the part that is visible from the outside is evidence of a thorough job well done. It's like the nice frame that completes a painting or the perfect dovetail joints that finish a drawer when nails would have done the job. People always moan when costs drive manufacturers to treat every team as an identical cog in a merchandising machine, but when designers add these unique details specific to each team, there's more moaning about it? Doesn't add up for me.

Dovetail joints add incredible strength to drawers, much more so than nails. Embroidering inside a collar is purely aesthetic.

you're missing the message, and again i go to the Panthers because that's the way it's supposed to be done. it's not a stripe on the inside of a collar, it's an emotional, inspirational phrase. it's much deeper than decoration. if you can make someone laugh, cry, feel understood, or inspire then you've created a good design.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
it's not a stripe on the inside of a collar, it's an emotional, inspirational phrase. it's much deeper than decoration. if you can make someone laugh, cry, feel understood, or inspire then you've created a good design.

Doesn't it say "keep pounding"? That isn't inspirational. That just makes me want to make really sophomoric sex jokes.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Doesn't it say "keep pounding"? That isn't inspirational. That just makes me want to make really sophomoric sex jokes.

At least they didn't make a music video featuring that slogan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOYY6futWBc

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

From Wiki: A Panther's coach with Cancer coined the phrase. I thought we went over this?

In August 2003, however, Mills was diagnosed with intestinal cancer. Though he was told he had only a few months to live, he underwent chemotherapy and radiation and continued to coach. He was an inspirational force in the Panthers’ post-season run to Super Bowl XXXVIII. His plea to "Keep Pounding" in an emotional speech before the Panthers' victory over the Dallas Cowboys later became the name of a fund to sponsor cancer research programs.

Sam Mills was also a player for the panthers and is the only player to have his number retired by the panthers. They started the keep pounding campaign that year as he and the current player Mark Fields were both battling cancer. "Keep Pounding" started as a cancer research fund if I'm not mistaken. In the recent seasons, however, the team has adopted the phrase as a battle cry of sorts with a lot of players and fans often using the hashtag #KeepPounding on twitter and it appearing on a good bit of merchandise (and obviously the jersey collar). Personally I'm ok with it and I've seen the whole discussion so far so I won't add to that because its all pretty much been said but as a panthers fan I look at it more as a respectful tribute and legacy than a money making scheme. Just my 2 cents.

The slogan in the collar of the jersey is most likely designed so that it can change every year (even if the uniform design itself doesn't) which will "force" the hard core collector to buy a new one of his team's jerseys for each season just so he has every slogan.

The idea that it's a "tribute" or "inspiring" to the players is laughable at best. It's marketing. I'm not saying that it's a bad thing, just let's not think that it's for any noble reason.

I know every day when I put on a shirt, "Tumble Dry on Low" inspires me to greatness. It's kind of become a personal slogan for me and a tribute to me, the way it captures how I really wring people out and toss them around, but warmly and gently.

Joking aside, is this any different than the "Tailored in England" tags Umbro put on their kits? To me, elements like these show that the designers go beyond the minmum scope. Designing the entire uniform as opposed to just the part that is visible from the outside is evidence of a thorough job well done. It's like the nice frame that completes a painting or the perfect dovetail joints that finish a drawer when nails would have done the job. People always moan when costs drive manufacturers to treat every team as an identical cog in a merchandising machine, but when designers add these unique details specific to each team, there's more moaning about it? Doesn't add up for me.

Nailed it! It's totally an example of the designers going beyond the ask of the client. Delivering something that is thoughtful and exceeds client expectation should be the goal of any designer/design team. In this case, it's a personal touch that relates to the client/owner/team and is made for them. The fact that they show up on a jersey for the public is just a nice attention to authentic detail. I guarantee you that it has very little affect on amount of purchases. If you are already willing to pay $250 for a jersey, this is just a nice addition, thats all. Its about the what the team wants with these types of details.

The slogan in the collar of the jersey is most likely designed so that it can change every year (even if the uniform design itself doesn't) which will "force" the hard core collector to buy a new one of his team's jerseys for each season just so he has every slogan.

The idea that it's a "tribute" or "inspiring" to the players is laughable at best. It's marketing. I'm not saying that it's a bad thing, just let's not think that it's for any noble reason.

I know every day when I put on a shirt, "Tumble Dry on Low" inspires me to greatness. It's kind of become a personal slogan for me and a tribute to me, the way it captures how I really wring people out and toss them around, but warmly and gently.

For me it's "Wash with Like Colors." :censored:, I've got goosebumps and I'm getting a little misty-eyed just talking about it.

tumblr_miyr9lcrXC1qavvg1o2_4001.gif

From Wiki: A Panther's coach with Cancer coined the phrase. I thought we went over this?

In August 2003, however, Mills was diagnosed with intestinal cancer. Though he was told he had only a few months to live, he underwent chemotherapy and radiation and continued to coach. He was an inspirational force in the Panthers’ post-season run to Super Bowl XXXVIII. His plea to "Keep Pounding" in an emotional speech before the Panthers' victory over the Dallas Cowboys later became the name of a fund to sponsor cancer research programs.

No one does fake profundity better than American football.

Hopefully that's not accurate, because those are really bad.

Really? I think it's pretty good, or as good as anything is going to be under Nike's aegis.

I could accept the "dirty" numbers and stripes as merely "grating" if the pants stripes weren't cut off for no damn reason. Aside from that, they should use the pants pattern the Vikings had used for their entire history before 2006. The yellow stripes floating on white will get lost from any distance.

But you may be right that this is better than what they come up with, seeing as nowadays Nike only does Oregon-crazy and boring-as-:censored: bland. I imagine it's either this or NY Giants in purple and yellow.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I could accept the "dirty" numbers and stripes as merely "grating" if the pants stripes weren't cut off for no damn reason. Aside from that, they should use the pants pattern the Vikings had used for their entire history before 2006. The yellow stripes floating on white will get lost from any distance.

But you may be right that this is better than what they come up with, seeing as nowadays Nike only does Oregon-crazy and boring-as- :censored: bland. I imagine it's either this or NY Giants in purple and yellow.

If you would make the quick trip over to the concept forum and check out the thread I explain the reasoning behind each element in the uniform, including the pants stripes (which are NOT cut off for "no reason"). Any further commentary can be left there.

Also, whoever found that, could you post the link to the pic on Instagram? I'm curious to see what people are saying.

I just checked it out, and unless there was something I missed, you didn't explain the reasoning at all. You just said the stripes were cut at a 30 degree angle and so were the numbers. I just assumed you did that because Nike did that in several college designs for no reason. I check out the concepts forum, but I don't normally comment in there because I don't like telling people when their work is crap. I don't think your work is crap, for the record, but I do hope the Vikings go in a different direction. I wouldn't have commented on it had I known it was a concept here.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

But you may be right that this is better than what they come up with, seeing as nowadays Nike only does Oregon-crazy and boring-as- :censored: bland. I imagine it's either this or NY Giants in purple and yellow.

If you would make the quick trip over to the concept forum and check out the thread I explain the reasoning behind each element in the uniform, including the pants stripes (which are NOT cut off for "no reason"). Any further commentary can be left there.

Also, whoever found that, could you post the link to the pic on Instagram? I'm curious to see what people are saying.

keep an eye on the Purple Jesus blog. some of my stuff made it's way over there. they seem to be really on top of the "is this random concept the Vikings uniform?" thing

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

F*** all gradients. I'm pretty sure all gradient numbers are out in the NCAA per a recent rule change so hopefully Nike will take the cue that it's bad idea.

The stripe ending doesn't bother me a lot, although it would be better if it was taken all the way up.

Yellow lettering for names would be very interesting. I'm undecided on that or white and would probably have to see the yellow on actual fabric to decide which I'd like more.

The facemask situation is going to be worrisome to me, black/grey/purple idk wtf they are going to do.

I would say its very good work overall though, nice job mbannon92.

Archived