2013 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs and Final logo

dbadefense1990

It contiues to irritate me that they use Final instead of Finals.

Why is it the Stanley Cup Playoffs and not Playoff?

Since it is not a single game, but a series, it should be Stanley Cup Finals!

I think it's a copyright thing. I heard the NBA trademarked the term "Finals" to be used exclusively in their championship round. It's actually a legit case because their logos actualy has that term in their paraphernalia, whereas the NHL didn't have the term "Finals" or any synonym depicting their championship round in their logos. So the NHL opted to use the term "Final," and has been the norm by the hockey media and fans ever since.

I think the only people who still call it the "Stanley Cup Finals" are casual fans and the media whose sports market isn't primarily hockey-oriented.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always hated that notion that "the best team didn't win". If they were so damn good they wouldn't have been eliminated, they had 7 games to prove they were the better team.

Seconded. The Oilers were probably the best team of the 2006 postseason and if it weren't for the injury of Roloson, they probably would have won the Cup. That being said, injuries are as big a part of the game as goals so the best, healthy, team did win

I think it's a copyright thing. I heard the NBA trademarked the term "Finals" to be used exclusively in their championship round. It's actually a legit case because their logos actualy has that term in their paraphernalia, whereas the NHL didn't have the term "Finals" or any synonym depicting their championship round in their logos. So the NHL opted to use the term "Final," and has been the norm by the hockey media and fans ever since.

I think the only people who still call it the "Stanley Cup Finals" are casual fans and the media whose sports market isn't primarily hockey-oriented.

..and me. I will not use a silly term because of NBA idiocy. I know that Bettman calls it, I just don't care.

(06 CUP FINAL IMAGE)

I'm not really sure what you're complaining about. This was a perfectly befitting logo for a year when all the best teams in the league were knocked out of the playoffs before the calendar even flipped to May.

I've always hated that notion that "the best team didn't win". If they were so damn good they wouldn't have been eliminated, they had 7 games to prove they were the better team.

Seven games is a relatively small sample size, especially compared to a typical 82-game season (which obviously is not happening this year, but I digress). Crazy things can happen in seven games or four games or however many a series takes. That's what's exciting about any playoffs - the potential for an eight seed to beat a one seed or whatever.

330zl3b.png

There's definitely potential for upsets but 7 games is more substantial than say 3 games. If you are the better team then you should find a way to win 4 games out of 7. I agree, it's nice to be able to know that the team who advances really earnt it and didn't just get one lucky bounce that knocked out the better team and sent them through. You need to win 4 times...love it.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

6862.gif

The only thing that bugs me about this logo is the incorrect orientation of the conference logos. When you think of West and East, you typically think of left and right, respectively. But this one has the Eastern on the left, and the Western on the right. Huge miss in my behalf.

This is wrong. It got changed because Final is actually grammatically correct. It is the Final series. While a series is made up of multiple games, grouped together series is singular. There is only one series going on so it should be Final not Finals. Playoffs is plural because there is more than one playoff series.

Apparently when John Shannon was head of broadcasting for the NHL the use of finals was a pet peeve of his and he pushed for the switch, I don't think it had anything to do with trademarks. I don't think the NBA can trademarks just "the Finals" because that is too generic.

Apparently when John Shannon was head of broadcasting for the NHL, the use of finals was a pet peeve of his and he pushed for the switch, I don't think it had anything to do with trademarks. I don't think the NBA can trademarks just "the Finals" because that is too generic.

Apparently...the NBA did trademark the name "Finals" for themselves:

http://www.inewidea.com/db/78662182.html

It may be Shannon's pushing of the switch as well, but the NBA did have a part of forcing the NHL to take the name "Final."

So I win.

The Stanley Cup Final is the final series, right? The Stanley Cup Finals is the whole thing, from round 1 to the end. That's how I see it.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Quick thoughts.

• The Stanley Cup Playoffs brand is nice.

• I wish they'd settle on a consistent look for the shading. Either go full gradient like the type or use solid colors like the Cup.

• I like that they get Final right grammatically.

• I would prefer "Stanley Cup" to be emphasized over "Final". It only matters because of history.

Stanley Cup Final - Primary Mark:

StanleyCupFinal2013_PMK0100a_2013_SCC_SRGB.png

Stanley Cup Final - Primary Mark/Special Application Version:

StanleyCupFinal2013_PSA0100a_2013_SCC_SRGB.png

Stanley Cup Final - Primary Mark/Embroidery Version:

StanleyCupFinal2013_PME0100a_2013_SCC_SRGB.png

Stanley Cup Playoffs - Primary Mark:

StanleyCupPlayoffs2013_PMK0100a_2013_SCC_SRGB.png

Stanley Cup Playoffs - Primary Mark/Special Application Version:

StanleyCupPlayoffs2013_PSA0100a_2013_SCC_SRGB.png

Stanley Cup Playoffs - Primary Mark/Embroidery Version:

StanleyCupPlayoffs2013_PME0100a_2013_SCC_SRGB.png

Stanley Cup Playoffs - Secondary Mark:

StanleyCupPlayoffs2013_SMK0100a_2013_SCC_SRGB.png

Stanley Cup Playoffs - Secondary Mark/Special Application Version:

StanleyCupPlayoffs2013_SSA0100a_2013_SCC_SRGB.png

Stanley Cup Playoffs - Secondary Mark/Embroidery Version:

StanleyCupPlayoffs2013_SME0100a_2013_SCC_SRGB.png

There are tons more of these...all of them have French as well as English versions, many more variations, and team-specific ones as well.

Stanley Cup Final - Primary Mark:

StanleyCupFinal2013_PMK0100a_2013_SCC_SRGB.png

Stanley Cup Final - Primary Mark/Special Application Version:

StanleyCupFinal2013_PSA0100a_2013_SCC_SRGB.png

Stanley Cup Final - Primary Mark/Embroidery Version:

StanleyCupFinal2013_PME0100a_2013_SCC_SRGB.png

Stanley Cup Playoffs - Primary Mark:

StanleyCupPlayoffs2013_PMK0100a_2013_SCC_SRGB.png

Stanley Cup Playoffs - Primary Mark/Special Application Version:

StanleyCupPlayoffs2013_PSA0100a_2013_SCC_SRGB.png

Stanley Cup Playoffs - Primary Mark/Embroidery Version:

StanleyCupPlayoffs2013_PME0100a_2013_SCC_SRGB.png

Stanley Cup Playoffs - Secondary Mark:

StanleyCupPlayoffs2013_SMK0100a_2013_SCC_SRGB.png

Stanley Cup Playoffs - Secondary Mark/Special Application Version:

StanleyCupPlayoffs2013_SSA0100a_2013_SCC_SRGB.png

Stanley Cup Playoffs - Secondary Mark/Embroidery Version:

StanleyCupPlayoffs2013_SME0100a_2013_SCC_SRGB.png

There are tons more of these...all of them have French as well as English versions, many more variations, and team-specific ones as well.

Any chance that we could see the entire logo package as well as the team specific ones?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived