My early concepts, 16 unearthed so far!

Phil

Way back in 1996-97 when I was still working out of a 386 running Windows 3.1, I made a few concept jerseys in 3.1's version of Paint, and just recently unearthed a few of them saved on diskettes.

The original bitmaps have been converted to gifs and are available for your viewing pleasure now. I won't link to them all separately because it's quicker to hit the above link and be able to click them all, rather than copying and pasting 16 links.

But for a taste of what's to come, I have posted these concepts:

Atlanta Night Concept Logo and Jersey (separate): Before they were designated the Thrashers, I dreamed this up for ATL's expansion team.

Boston Bruins Concept Logo and Jersey: Despite the tradition, despite the fact that includes a certain colour (look out SHB!), despite the fact that it's grainy, I STILL like it better than what they've got for an alt.

Boston Celtics Concept Jersey and Logo: I plead the 5th.

Calgary Flames Concept Jersey (and logo edit): Looks like a shirt some DBZ fans wear at my school. Yeesh.

Chicago Bulls Concept Jersey: I was young.

Detroit Red Wings Concept Jersey and Logo: Real young.

Indiana Pacers Concept Jersey and Logo: Back then, I thought it had potential.

LA Kings Concept Jersey: Painstaking recreation of the logo. Pain's taking a toll on my eyes.

Milwaukee Bucks Concept Jersey and Logo: It's supposed to be a buck silhouette.

NJ Devils Concept Jersey: What was I thinking?

Portland Trail Blazers Concept Jersey and Logo: Something had to be done. That something was not this.

San Jose Sharks Concept Jersey and Logo: See if you can make out the "SJ" in that logo. Back then I convinced myself I could.

Toronto Maple Leafs Concept Jersey and Logo: Tradition? What means this, "tradition"? Actually one of my better jerseys, IMO.

Vancouver Canucks Concept Jersey: Really, really young.

Washington Capitals Concept Jersey: Aagh, a ginormous eagle is attacking Washington! (Not intended to be anti-American.)

If you survived these, congrats. Leave a response if you wish.

I had an Oilers concept around here somewhere, 6 years ago it was my bread-and-butter. If I find, I will post.

Thanks for your time.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I can't honestly say anyone of these I love completely, but there are many aspects of different concepts that look great. I have unearthed a lot of my concepts on paper, and get the same feeling about them as you got about yours. But overall, good job...esp for the age you must of been when they were done.

Thanks STL, stay tuned as the madness continues...

Breaking News: 12 more found and added!

Dallas Stars Concept Jersey: Lime green. You've been warned.

Edmonton Oilers Concept Logo and Jersey (separate): The one I was talking about previously. Forget the jersey, what could be more intimidating than an oil derrick with angry eyes and a hockey stick, spewing orangey-red oil?

KC Wizards Concept Logo: Not even the MLS was spared the wrath of little me!

LA Galaxy Concept Logo: I remembered it as having been better than that...

Montreal Canadiens Concept Jersey: Watch as I graphically throw up all over tradition.

Philadelphia Flyers Concept Logo and Jersey (separate): Okay, so they're not identical. I didn't like the winged P. I liked the Jets. Is it that obvious?

Tampa Bay Lightning Concept Jersey and Logo: It's amateurish. It's so bad it's almost comical. It would've been perfect for TBay!

Toronto Maple Leafs Concept Logo: A closer look at the logo that spawned the concept jersey.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers Concept Logos 1 & 2: #1 is really old. They held a contest when the Bombers ended the rule of the W-football. I actually wanted to submit this, and I think I did. Then a few years later I made the 2nd concept. I think I couldn't have been more detailed if I had included the plane's blueprints with that logo.

Well, that's probably the rest of them. If I ever find more, I'll post 'em. If anyone else has comments, or ancient logos of there own, show 'em! They're good for a laugh, at the very least.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

NJ Devils Concept Jersey: What was I thinking?

Portland Trail Blazers Concept Jersey and Logo: Something had to be done. That something was not this.

second opinion from me: you're still right, something had to be done and that something was definitely not any of that. :o

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Alright, alright... let's see your work from when you were ten years old working with Microsoft Paintbrush.

No seriously, anybody else got some old work they aren't exactly proud of, or am I the only one willing to dust them off and bring a little joy (and horror) into the world?

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

A lot of them look like the stuff the teams have now...just hooked up on crack!

I will however say three things...

1. When I first heard that Todd MacFarlane was designing the Oilers third jersey, I was expecting a wicked busy jersey involving the Oilman, an oil derrick and a huge wave of oil, all thrown together in a Wild Wing sort of way.  Your's kind of captures that.

2. When I was 11 years old in fifth grade in 1995 and I heard about the Nordiques moving to Denver, I drew up a logo for a team called the DENVER CLOWNS!!!   No, I am dead serious when I say this.  Each letter in the logo was made up of either a clown related item or a hockey related item. The main logo was just a smiling clown with a hockey stick in his frilly mitts.

3.  Four years ago in 10th grade, I came up with the LAS VEGAS CORN! (with !)  I think most of you know about that.  I also came up another team called the LAS VEGAS DEATH, and the logo is the Grim Reaper hold his scythe down like a hockey stick with the arched blade taped up.  I think it's pretty cool, if not weird.  I'll take a picture of the drawing if I can find it and the cool uniform I made for them (they look like a cross between the Kings and Sharks current uniforms) and the All-Star logo I made for them.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Alright, alright... let's see your work from when you were ten years old working with Microsoft Paintbrush.

1997... ten... *does math*...

Can you hand me my cane?  Where are my dentures...?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

2. When I was 11 years old in fifth grade in 1995 and I heard about the Nordiques moving to Denver, I drew up a logo for a team called the DENVER CLOWNS!!!   No, I am dead serious when I say this.  Each letter in the logo was made up of either a clown related item or a hockey related item. The main logo was just a smiling clown with a hockey stick in his frilly mitts.

3.  Four years ago in 10th grade, I came up with the LAS VEGAS CORN! (with !)  I think most of you know about that.  I also came up another team called the LAS VEGAS DEATH, and the logo is the Grim Reaper hold his scythe down like a hockey stick with the arched blade taped up.  I think it's pretty cool, if not weird.  I'll take a picture of the drawing if I can find it and the cool uniform I made for them (they look like a cross between the Kings and Sharks current uniforms) and the All-Star logo I made for them.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

Roger,

That's nothing compared to the San Ramon Jokers of the Bay Area Football League.  (A made-up league using 35-yard x 65-yard fields).  

Also in my Bay Area Hockey Association, I had the Santa Clara Jammerz!  To my knowledge the first team to use a punctuation mark in their nickname.  If I remember others, I'' let you know.  

I made a Lightning jersey with a bolt curving ala the IHL's Cleveland Lumberjacks.  One catch, the team colors, were midnight blue and pacific teal.  I know I know, why teal!  Come on teal is great!

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

i'm not exactly proud of my chargers jerseys, or my astros TATC with the current colors.  there, i said it.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

1997... ten... *does math*...

Can you hand me my cane?  Where are my dentures...?

LOL... the first Winnipeg Blue Bombers logo was from when I was about 8 or so, but that must've been back in '93 or so. Most of these logos were put on disk in 1997 (I was around 12 years old then) so I have to assume that's when I made most of them... I took 10 as an average of 8 (when I started) and 12 (when I finished with Paintbrush, and not a minute too soon).

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

No seriously, anybody else got some old work they aren't exactly proud of, or am I the only one willing to dust them off and bring a little joy (and horror) into the world?

I don't think there was Microsoft Windows when I was 10 years old, we also had to walk in 10 feet of snow in our pajamas with telephone books taped to our feet as shoes.

Some of my early work also isn't pretty, but I was creative, when I was seven I started my own hockey and baseball league which involved myself playing the games against myself, heh.  Every now and then I find the mock-Hockey News like papers I'd make about it, I was a weird kid  :D

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

• 2 weeks later...

The KC Wizards logo is cool.

The first Bombers logo seems a little phallic.  It's what I'd see as "a view from the inside".

Anywho, when I was about 10-12, I made several logos and names for a fantasy basketball league I played in and ran in my driveway.  "The NB2", and then the "NB3" after that league defuncted.  

I drew the logos rather poorly on paper, and they'd take too much time to scan.  They're also pretty simple.

Here are the names:

Conf I

Div I

New York Empire

Toronto Saurus

St. Louis Squirrels

New York Galaxians

Philadelphia Stars

Seattle Needles

Boston Blue Coats

Div II

Orlando Omegas

Phoenix Glitz

Les Chats de Montreal

Las Vegas Trumps

Tampa Baymen

Indiana Spoliers

Hartford Majors

Conf II

Div I

San Antonio Steal

Cheyenne Ropers

Vancouver Lumberers

New Orleans Grands

Detroit Speeders

Santa Fe Scorchers

Rutherford Roar

Div II

Chicago Saturns

Nashville Oles

Los Angeles Setters

Atlanta Sprites

Dallas Diggers

Raleigh F5s

San Jose Widows

And a couple of expansion teams that didn't quite make it before puberty:

Minnesota Rabbits

Denver Reapers

Yee-ikes.

Spoiler

New York Rangers. Stanley Cup Champions - 1928, 1933, 1940, 1994. Saskatchewan. Cold. 1905-2022.

Archived