Most Hated Teams in MLB, NBA, NHL

JamesCraven

Well, after reading about the most hated NFL teams, I was wandering if anyone knows the most hated franchises in the other three big sports (MLB, NBA, NHL).

MLB - Has to be the Yankees. 'Nuff said.

NBA - The Lakers hands down. People used to hate the Boston Celtics and until recently, Da Bulls.

NHL - New York Rangers. They're old, expensive, and can't play into the playoffs.

Those are my choices, what are yours?

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

NHL - New York Rangers. They're old, expensive, and can't play into the playoffs.

I've found that the only people who really hate the Rangers are our division rivals, and Canucks fans (because of 1994). For the reasons you listed above, a lot of people really just pass us by without a second thought. Our team is (was) old, overpriced, overpaid, and incapable of being a threat for the postseason. No reason why anyone should pay attention.

I'd say the Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs are probably the most hated around the NHL.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

I'll do all four leagues even though there is another thread for the NFL.

NBA-

There are actually dynasties in the NBA, and it's usually the current dynasty being hated. I was a Bulls fan, not a hater. I'd still say I am a Bulls fan. I don't like the Lakers at all. They are probably the most hated right now. If the Pistons turn into a dynasty, they may not get a lot of hate though, because they brought down the "big bad Lakers".

NFL-

Really, whoever is winning. Not necessarily Super Bowls, but whoever gets themself to be the favorite for the Super Bowl I guess. The underdog Super Bowl winners aren't hated usually. The Rams had a lot of haters. As Martz has dragged the team down, the hate level has gone down. Niners and Cowboys probably had a lot of haters during their day too. Bucs and Patriots seem to be the most recent ones to hate. I guess the Raiders get a lot of hate always, and especially when they are winning because of Al Davis, and possibly some of their fans.

NHL-

The teams that win a lot and/or the teams that shell out money to try to win a lot and the teams that play dirty are the most hated. That gives you right there the Red Wings, Devils, Avs, Rangers, and Maple Leafs. Now, I don't dislike but one of those teams strongly (Red Wings) or necessarily agree with their reputation (Leafs as dirty--exagerated), however, those are the general thoughts. I guess, it's also any of the teams ESPN loves and lets you know it, however, that usually falls into the first category above.

MLB-

Just frankly the Yankees. They spend like crazy, win like crazy, and that's easy to dislike. A lot of people hate the constant winners. A lot of those people also hate them because of how they win and how they act about winning though. I think because of that the Yankees have a lot more haters.

NBA - The Lakers for sure. Coming up in a close second would probably have to be the Bulls. They may suck right now, but most people - like all of us here in NY, and anyone else who's had their run ins with them (Phoenix, Portland, Los Angeles, Utah, Seattle, everyone else) - will never forgive MJ for systematically kicking the crap out of all our hopes and dreams.

MLB - Gotta be the Yankees (or if you're a typical NYer, then it's Boston). No question about it.

NHL - Detroit probably tops the list. I want to say New Jersey as well, but I don't really know the extent of hatred for the Devils - but the hatred New York has for the Devils may just be enough for me to slap 'em up on that list somewhere ^_^

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

To quote JamesCraven, ditto!!! :cursing:

MLB - Has to be the Yankees. 'Nuff said.

NBA - The Lakers hands down. Have always hated them. I was glad to see them get the "brown-stinky-stuff" kicked out of them.

NHL - New York Rangers. They're old, expensive, and can't play into the playoffs. I hope they continue to lose for the next 1000 years.

I hate the Rangers, yes I am a Devils fan, but even before Kansas City ended up in New Jersey (by way of Colorado), I hated them back in the 70's.

To top it off, two of my best friends are Ranger fans.

NFL - I don't really hate any NFL team, but I do like it when the 49ers lose (sorry Sharkman).

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

NHL: If you're in Canada, the Leafs and/or Habs are hated pretty equally depending on which language you speak. The Avs and Wings are right up there in the hate department as well.

NFL: The Cowboys used to be the team that everybody hated, nowadays it's mostly residual hatred since they haven't done much in awhile. The Niners (fools), and Rams seem to get a lot of hate these days too.

MLB: Yankees. No one else even comes close.

NBA: The Lakers for sure. Although who knows now that the dynasty is seemingly over.

TrevorLindensig.jpg

TrevorLindenJerseys.png

NHL - New York Rangers. They're old, expensive, and can't play into the playoffs. I hope they continue to lose for the next 1000 years.

I hate the Rangers, yes I am a Devils fan, but even before Kansas City ended up in New Jersey (by way of Colorado), I hated them back in the 70's. To top it off, two of my best friends are Ranger fans.

Let's take a 5 minute visit to the Rangers Web Site and take a look around. You might find it interesting to note some of the following. At season's end, the NY Rangers roster was comprised of 25 skaters and three goaltenders. Of the 28 players on the roster, only one was born in the year 1970 or before. If you don't want to guess who the one player is, just look below for the answer.

Mark Messier is the only player on the Rangers who is more than 34 years of age.

Fun with numbers? When NOT factoring Mark Messier into the equation, the mean, or average age of Rangers players is 27.8 years. When factoring in the 43 year old, the number only jumps to 28.4 years. Hardly an old team by any measure, I'd say. Especially since the old fart made the All Star team this year. :hockeysmiley:

My message? Drop the "old" argument, because it doesn't apply to our team anymore. Sure you're a Devils fan Scout, and maybe that's what is skewing your judgement (:P), but I think you'll find that our team is now one of the, dare I say, younger? organizations in the NHL.

sticksstones4.png

all sports: New York teams for the simple fact that they're from The City.

NHL: i'll acknowledge it...the Avs are pretty high on hate lists. the Wings, Devils Habs, Leafs, Blues, Stars and possibly the Flyers, i guess.

NBA: after the Lake, the Kings, Knicks, Bulls, and the Texas teams.

MLB: the Yankees. The Yanks, much as i hate to say it, are the World's Team. you could go deep into a Brazil rain forest and find a jaguar wearing a Yankees hat :hockeysmiley: walk around Tokyo, in an hour you might pass by a guy wearing a Yomiuri Giants hat (yeah, ONE) and 100 wearing Yankees hats. for 100 hats, you'll find 100 haters too.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

NHL- Leafs. Definitely the Leafs.

MLB- Yankees...can't stand the Reds though, dunno why. Maybe 'cuz I'm a Cubs fan.

NBA- Hate em all. Can't stand hoops (but it ain't stopping me from owning the NABA's Coney Island Whitefish).

Welcome to DrunjFlix

MLB -- Obviously, the Yankees are hated. I personally don't care for the White Sox but that's because of the natural division rivalry. In the late 80s I hated Oakland during the Bash Bros. days, again because of their rivalry with the Twins.

NHL -- I don't follow the league that closely but i do remember hoping the Red Wings stopped winning. I don't care for the Dallas Stars because of the whole North Stars thing. Though I did root for them when they won the Cup because I was livign in Dallas at the time.

NBA -- I hate the Lakers, but only in their recent "dynasty" years. For some reason I never hated the Bulls, despite a personal loathing for such dynasties. I think it was that MJ seemed so classy.

MLB- well its them damm Yankees. Buying everyone elses best players is never gonna make you popular

NBA - The Lakers- ditto

NHL- Not really sure anyone is universally unpopular in hockey- not enough dynasties I guess!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

MLB: Yeah, Yankees, obviously, but I've found a lot of Braves haters as well. (personal hates: the Mets, the Braves, and Barry Bonds.)

NBA: I don't follow it all that closely... I'll say the Lakers, overall, and for myself, Allen Iverson. (His high school and my high school were rivals, and his school always won, so I was sick and tired of hearing about him even before the bowling alley incident. I went to school with one or two of his cousins. Apparently his wife graduated with me, but I don't remember her.)

NHL: Seems to me the divisional rivalries are the most heated, and there isn't really one team that draws heat from everyone (except probably the Leafs in Canada). I am tired of consistently seeing the Avs on TV, though. For myself, I hate all the old Patrick Division rivals in this order: Flyers, Rangers, Isles, Caps, Devils.

piratesSig.gif

OWNER -- Pittsburgh Spiders (UL) * Dynamo Missouri (PLA) * Montreal Maroons (SHL)

NHL-Toronto and Montreal push a lot of buttons (The latter especially in America, mainly because about 200 fans are VERY audible in a moment when 21,000 others are silent), Colorado and Detroit aren't liked too much.

NFL-I started the thread! :P From responces, I"d say Dallas.

Baseball-The Yankees, Red Sox, and Braves, in that order.

NBA-LA?

This is kind of tuff for me because I usually only hate teams that are in the NBA.

NFL: Dallas Cowboys - I still have bad blood with them from the mid 90's

MLB: New York Yankees - Do I really need to explain it to you?

NHL: What sport is that?

NBA: Sacramento Kings & Dallas Mavericks - Vlade & Christie just get to me. As for the Mavericks well let's just say from me going to one of there games I can vouch that they have the trashiest fans in the NBA! Attack me if you will.

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

can't stand the Reds though, dunno why. Maybe 'cuz I'm a Cubs fan.

you too? and all this time i thought i was weird for hating the Reds more than the Cards. :wacko::P

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

MLB - Yanks. Where does all that money come from?

NHL - Maple Laughs. Old (highest avarage age in NHL), ticket prices are WAY too high, and last AND least THEY SUCK.

NBA - I don't really care, but probably the Lakers. Same situation as the Kees, Where does all that money come from?

Hatrid of a sports team is realtive.

You are most likely going to hate your favorites teams top rival more then anyone else.

However on average there will always be a team hated by a majority of fans and that will be a team with a large amount of success, that has built up many rivalaries.

In

MLB its obviously the Yankees and their success is the reason.

NFL its the Cowboys they've been successfgul and proclaimed themselves America's team which has created more of a target on them.

NBA its the Lakers who have been succesful over the last 25 years built up many rivalaries.

NHL its a little different it may just have to be the Rangers who are known for raiding temas of star players. Though it has not led to success it has created hatrid.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

It's funny to hear people say that the most hated team in baseball is the Yankees, because I always thought they were the most loved.

Here's mine:

Atlanta Braves

Phildelphia Flyers

The NBA

The entire NBA? That's an interesting perspective you've got there. Not sure if I agree or not... I'm a bit of a Knicks fan, myself, but not so much.

sticksstones4.png

Archived