Rite of Spring 2013 (NHL Playoffs): "You have no fear of the underdog, that's why you will not survive."

CS85

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many empty seats were there in Detroit tonight?

I'm going to go on a limb and say that Detroit's consecutive playoff appearances have saturated the fan's interest in going to the Joe in the early (or even later) playoff rounds.

They've gone the way of Atlanta Braves fans after continuously winning those division titles.

Capitals win in overtime.

And Anaheim came back to force OT? Seriously?

Anyway, the Rangers road form in this series has been absolutely pathetic. Equivalent of 10 periods of hockey, and they have 2 goals. You will never win hockey games when you average a goal every five periods, for 'cripes sakes.

This series has been over for the Rangers since game two. I'm amazed it's going to go six. That said, is there anything in sports better than OT playoff hockey? (Back away from the keyboard, Kramera-billy, it was a rhetorical question. No need for a 35 paragraph response. B) )

Detroit - Anaheim has been a really entertaining series - well, other than the fact that it's slowly killing one of my BASS co-hosts.

BB52Big.jpg

I'm going to go on a limb and say that Detroit's consecutive playoff appearances have saturated the fan's interest in going to the Joe in the early (or even later) playoff rounds.

They've gone the way of Atlanta Braves fans after continuously winning those division titles.

So they're not drawing well because they're too good?

You get more moronic with every post.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

So they're not drawing well because they're too good?

At some point, winning too often gets boring for the home teams. It's happened to the Braves, it's happened to the Yankees (check the attendance figures in the Divison Series the last couple of years) and it partially explains the Detroit situation (combined with the city being ground zero for the sagging nationwide economy right now, meaning less people can afford to attend such Red Wings games).

Capitals win in overtime.

And Anaheim came back to force OT? Seriously?

Anyway, the Rangers road form in this series has been absolutely pathetic. Equivalent of 10 periods of hockey, and they have 2 goals. You will never win hockey games when you average a goal every five periods, for 'cripes sakes.

This series has been over for the Rangers since game two. I'm amazed it's going to go six. That said, is there anything in sports better than OT playoff hockey? (Back away from the keyboard, Kramera-billy, it was a rhetorical question. No need for a 35 paragraph response. B) )

Detroit - Anaheim has been a really entertaining series - well, other than the fact that it's slowly killing one of my BASS co-hosts.

Don't worry. My next dissertation-length post will probably come after I find the time to listen to today's released podcast. As much as I love hockey and play hockey video games more than any other sport, I do not have the ability to type my ass off about the sport like I do with baseball.

The Rangers home form has been fine. I see no reason why this series won't return to Washington. And I'm well aware at the Rangers inconsistency this season, which is the biggest reason why they came nowhere close to repeating their stellar 2011-12 results. But the only player who has shown up in any of the three D.C. games has been Hank. Think about it - they got shutout in Game 2, and they were shutout over the last 59:08 and overtime tonight. For a team with the offensive talent they have, it is absolutely appalling how bad they have been away from MSG.

spacer.png

Oh, I see. Forget the fact that the city lost about a quarter of its population from 2000-2010 and that this is the first time in a while they've been in a dogfight to actually make the playoffs. It's definitely winning too much. B)

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

In fairness, he did have a bit of a point with the Atlanta Braves, though I think that might also be attributable to the fact that they were shoved off into a ton of day games in the NLDS, especially between roughly 2002-2005. I think Game 1 of their NLDS series' in those four years were all early afternoon affairs (they also lost all four games).

Also, with all due respect to Atlanta, their baseball passion cannot even touch Detroit's hockey passion.

spacer.png

Oh, I see. Forget the fact that the city lost about a quarter of its population from 2000-2010 and that this is the first time in a while they've been in a dogfight to actually make the playoffs. It's definitely winning too much. B)

That's the result of Rust Belt citizens leaving for the Sun Belt because of better economic opportunities, retirement, and the climate. Chicago's population is diminishing as well. So is Pittsburgh. So are some of Ohio's cities. And so is Philadelphia. But their NHL teams don't have the same sellout issues the Red Wings have.

Archived