Rite of Spring 2013 (NHL Playoffs): "You have no fear of the underdog, that's why you will not survive."

CS85

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this has been posted before, but I wanted to share a story involving this video

My roommate is not a hockey fan. When I watch Blue Jackets games he's either watching TV in his own room, or out of our apartment, or he surfs the web without paying much attention. Hard as I tried, I just couldn't get him to care. He could probably name 2 Blue Jackets players if I spotted him Bobrovsky. He's more of a college basketball guy, which is just fine because I don't really care about that either. So the other night I played this HNIC video for him (because I've watched it 30 times and it's honestly one of the best sports montages I've ever seen). Then game 4 of the Islanders-Penguins series came on and a funny thing happened - he watched it with me. He watched the entire game with me. It ended up being the perfect game to start someone on the NHL playoffs. Major underdog, high scoring, high energy in an old barn, lots of visible talent on both teams, it was a good game, and the right team won. Last night he comes in and suddenly has knowledge of every series. He's asking questions about the teams and we watched parts of Pittsburgh-NYI and Ottawa-Montreal. And now he's asking me when they release the Blue Jackets schedule for next season because he wants to buy a 6 game pack.

One montage made him more of a hockey fan than I could in a year and a half of living with him.

When it gets down to "Cup in the building" time, you have to show him the "No Words" commercial. All agreed?

To use Charles Barkley's linguistics, I really hope the Kings are not assuming this series is over because of the season home record, to the point of "dividing the will of the dead relative (this quarterfinal series) before the funeral procession (actually performing in Game 6)."

If they keep up this pace, this is exactly what I hoped would happen tonight. Game seven is gonna be playoff hockey at its finest.

I posted this 5 minutes ago with a 2 goal lead. Tie game. Jesus Harold Christ on rubber crutches. PLAY TO THE END.

Capitals win in overtime.

And Anaheim came back to force OT? Seriously?

Anyway, the Rangers road form in this series has been absolutely pathetic. Equivalent of 10 periods of hockey, and they have 2 goals. You will never win hockey games when you average a goal every five periods, for 'cripes sakes.

spacer.png

Archived