NYC FC Branding

ksupilot

Just announced that the 20th MLS team will be NYC FC and run in a partnership between the New York Yankees and Manchester City.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-city/10071375/Manchester-City-claim-New-York-City-FC-MLS-franchise.html

No logos yet, but their website and twitter are using a placeholder wordmark and appears to be a lot of blue:

http://www.nycfc.com/

With the Yankees and Manchester City being involved, could make for some interesting uniform speculation. Will they borrow from Manchester city? Will we have a Yankee inspired pinstripe uniform? Or will they have their own identity?

70389454.png

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So New York City FC is the official team name or just a placeholder? Will be very disappointed if they can't come up with anything better.

I would much rather see a Yankee's style branding for a soccer team, since their identity is much better than Manchester City. Even a building a stadium that has design cues taken from the New Yankee Stadium would be cool. Unfortunately I think they'll probably try to come up with something unique and not tied to either team.

So New York City FC is the official team name or just a placeholder? Will be very disappointed if they can't come up with anything better.

I would much rather see a Yankee's style branding for a soccer team, since their identity is much better than Manchester City. Even a building a stadium that has design cues taken from the New Yankee Stadium would be cool. Unfortunately I think they'll probably try to come up with something unique and not tied to either team.

I think the Mets would have something to say about the Yankee-inspired stadium, with it being close to Citi Field

I also wonder if this opens up the possibility of an MLS game at Yankee Stadium. Maybe a friendly between NYC FC and Manchester City set at Yankee Stadium.

70389454.png

New York City FC isn't a placeholder. It's the name, and I assume it was chosen to be in continuity with the Manchester City FC branding.

I suppose they'll also try to pull off Manchester City's sky blue color scheme, which is really the last thing the league needs after the Sporting KC rebrand last year.

My reaction to this news is mixed. It's great to see MLS getting investment from clubs like the Yankees and Manchester City, but I was really hoping for a return of the Cosmos.

I think the Mets would have something to say about the Yankee-inspired stadium, with it being close to Citi Field

I also wonder if this opens up the possibility of an MLS game at Yankee Stadium. Maybe a friendly between NYC FC and Manchester City set at Yankee Stadium.

]

that's funny as I'm willing to bet that the mets don't even register on the yanks radar given their penchant of being a completely mis-managed and laughing stock of a franchise.

I wonder if this affects Redbull NYs identity in any way...probably just lost a big portion of their market. NYFC will have the advantage of actually playing in NYC, though the Redbulls are actually doing pretty good.

Redbull NJ?

70389454.png

I think the RedBull franchise will struggle the second Thierry Henry exits. Right now they have a monopoly on soccer in the NYC market, which makes them an ideal target for big names -- ala Henry. That goes away the second NYC FC starts up. If you're an aging yet still-talented European superstar, would you rather set-up shop in New Jersey or within the five boroughs. Easy choice.

Red Bulls will soon become the Chivas USA of the east.

If they were still The MetroStars, and not Red Bull NY (When you play in Jersey) was a big mistake.

You alienated NY fans who don't like NY attached to NJ teams (Those arguments are always fun)

You alienated NJ fans who don't like NY attached to NJ teams

MetroStars was a great name, fit the area, and their identity and badge were fantastic... Once they went to RBNY, i renounced that club, and was waiting for the Cosmos to return. That isn't going to happen now, but this isn't bad.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Why do I expect lots of navy blue and gray...and some kind of pinstripe motif?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I'd have been more excited had New York City been formed by a partnership involving York City, but I guess their owners aren't quite as wealthy and influential as those of Manchester City...

Given the two teams involved, I reckon we may well be seeing the sky blue with pinstripes look that frosty06306 suggests.

Does this mean the Houston Dynamo will be going back to the Western Conference?

Hopefully they will!

I'm sure their colors will be a combo of Man City & Yankees blues but not too close to City's kits (Nike vs. Adidas). I'm also surprised the kit maker difference didn't even get mentioned in coverage as it was a minor issue with the Barca/Miami project a few years back.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Archived