NYC FC Branding

ksupilot

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently, the Man City blue, which is all over their website and social media presence, won't necessarily be a part of the final branding...

From Reuters reporter Simon Evans:

@sgevans I asked Ferran Soriano about team colours etc - no decision made on that yet but will be other 'synergies' between two clubs

Some Yankee/City fusion would be ok with me, even though I don't particularly care for MCFC. I'd also like to see Energy Drink New Jersey start using a red kit to set up the red/blue dichotomy evocative of many great soccer rivalries.

Come On You [nickname to be determined]!

I just don't get how New York City FC is even considered a good name for a team. What if the Yankees were called the New York City BC? It's overly generic.

it's European thing.

That can't be. European teams have names that are much more exciting than "NYCFC"

Even knowing the team was going to be called New York City FC for weeks, you guys still found a new outlet to complain about it. Bravo, internet heroes. Bravo.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

New York City FC & NYCFC may not roll of the tongue, but my guess is ownership and media will gravitate towards "City" like their EPL counterpart.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

All this does is make MLS look like a minor league sports league. I'm assuming that they are eventually hoping to become a top 5 soccer league in the world. That means that they hope to eventually compete with City for players. City will only use this team to advertise themselves in the US and maybe as an off season practice team for their players. This might get MLS some attention in the short term but the team will never be able to create and sustain a solid fan in the future.

I just don't get how New York City FC is even considered a good name for a team. What if the Yankees were called the New York City BC? It's overly generic.

it's European thing.

Well New York City is not part of Europe and MLS is not a European league. If the MLS is trying to expand it's fanbase this doesn't help. Most Americans don't follow European soccer and probably couldn't name a team other than Manchester United. So something like NYC FC is pretty lame. Much like Real and Sporting. Not to mention we already have Toronto FC and FC Dallas. MLS should try to develop it's own identity instead of copying European teams.

it's European thing.

Well New York City is not part of Europe and MLS is not a European league. If the MLS is trying to expand it's fanbase this doesn't help. Most Americans don't follow European soccer and probably couldn't name a team other than Manchester United. So something like NYC FC is pretty lame. Much like Real and Sporting. Not to mention we already have Toronto FC and FC Dallas. MLS should try to develop it's own identity instead of copying European teams.

MLS tried to develop its own identity and it almost went under as a result. Like it or not the international flavour MLS has adopted has helped the league grow its fanbase in the United States and Canada.

it's European thing.

MLS quit trying to go after the typical American sports fan years ago, figuring it was a lost cause. Now they are trying to win over the large number of fans who follow the game, but don't follow MLS. Unfortunately this means they have started to cater to them by re-branding teams in the Euro style (FC Dallas, Real Salt Lake, Sporting Kansas City) and doing subtle things like listing home team first on the schedule. I personally don't like it either.

So MLS and the Yankees bring a 2nd team to New York City (which is likely to kill-off the Red Bulls support)...and they can't come up with the "Cosmos" nickname? They have to call it "NYCFC?"

"Come up with"?

Perhaps you're not familiar with the idea that you can't just take another existing organization's name and use it as your own.

tumblr_ma5j3sllLa1qe5i2i.gif

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

it's European thing.

MLS quit trying to go after the typical American sports fan years ago, figuring it was a lost cause. Now they are trying to win over the large number of fans who follow the game, but don't follow MLS. Unfortunately this means they have started to cater to them by re-branding teams in the Euro style (FC Dallas, Real Salt Lake, Sporting Kansas City) and doing subtle things like listing home team first on the schedule. I personally don't like it either.

To me European soccer terms always make teams sound pretentious. FC, Real, playing on the "pitch", wearing "clash" "kits", and scarves.

it's European thing.

To me European soccer terms always make teams sound pretentious. FC, Real, playing on the "pitch", wearing "clash" "kits", and scarves.

Well that's simply the proper terminology for the sport. Nothing pretentious about it, just the way it is.

All this does is make MLS look like a minor league sports league. I'm assuming that they are eventually hoping to become a top 5 soccer league in the world. That means that they hope to eventually compete with City for players. City will only use this team to advertise themselves in the US and maybe as an off season practice team for their players. This might get MLS some attention in the short term but the team will never be able to create and sustain a solid fan in the future.

The MLS will never be able to compete with Europe and South America. They are too established at this point and the MLS still has to climb the ladder in the US. Also leagues with salary caps don't attract top players in their prime.

I am still willing to support nonetheless though.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Archived