NYC FC Branding

ksupilot

The funny thing about Real Salt Lake is that it is so easy to rectify. Just rename the team as the Salt Lake Royals or the Salt Lake Regals. It won't even require that much changing to the identity.

Also they should rename "Rio Tinto" Stadium because that is more cringeworthy than the team name.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Should a baseball team in England be "London BC?"

If England had a baseball league in which a London team were a participant? Yeah, probably. Better than than, I dunno, "the London BridgeDogs."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

DC United sounds cool, but as a football club name it's meaningless, since it doesn't signify the unification of anything. (Though I may remember someone telling me that was only the case for Man U and lots of teams append 'United' for no reason?) Real Salt Lake, FC Dallas, Sporting Kansas City, those all sound irretrievably silly. "Impact" might be worse than all of those.

"Impact" is done in the typical North American way of naming teams. Don't really see why that's a problem.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

The funny thing about Real Salt Lake is that it is so easy to rectify. Just rename the team as the Salt Lake Royals or the Salt Lake Regals. It won't even require that much changing to the identity.

Also they should rename "Rio Tinto" Stadium because that is more cringeworthy than the team name.

Rio Tinto is a British mining and metals corporation.

DC United sounds cool, but as a football club name it's meaningless, since it doesn't signify the unification of anything. (Though I may remember someone telling me that was only the case for Man U and lots of teams append 'United' for no reason?)

Not even Manchester United resulted from a merger. Like DC United they chose the name because they liked the way it sounded.

Wrong. It came from the fact that 4 investors "united" and spent 500 pounds each to keep the club afloat.

DC United sounds cool, but as a football club name it's meaningless, since it doesn't signify the unification of anything. (Though I may remember someone telling me that was only the case for Man U and lots of teams append 'United' for no reason?)

Not even Manchester United resulted from a merger. Like DC United they chose the name because they liked the way it sounded.

Wrong. It came from the fact that 4 investors "united" and spent 500 pounds each to keep the club afloat.

So can we look forward to Glendale United next season in the NHL?

Furthermore the name wouldnt be SO easy to rectify since the fan culture has coalesced around the ReAL name and the RSL moniker. As awful as the name is, most fans get physically ill at the idea of changing the name...I dont...but most do.

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

I have no issue when other countries mimic American sport names for more American sports. This isn't like soccer has different naming conventions in different countries. Almost ALL teams around the world are named this way in their native tounges, an yes there are exceptions but most teams around the world are named the same way.

Sure there are. Spain has the "Real" clubs as decreed by royalty. German clubs frequently slip the year of their founding into the name. And most are, as you said, in their native tongues -- which RSL can't say, for one.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

So can we look forward to Glendale United next season in the NHL?

I believe they decided on Glendale Goat Ropin'.

I have no issue when other countries mimic American sport names for more American sports. This isn't like soccer has different naming conventions in different countries. Almost ALL teams around the world are named this way in their native tounges, an yes there are exceptions but most teams around the world are named the same way.

Sure there are. Spain has the "Real" clubs as decreed by royalty. German clubs frequently slip the year of their founding into the name. And most are, as you said, in their native tongues -- which RSL can't say, for one.

How man Real's are there? How many year names are there in Germany? you can pair those together but they aren't like "City Name Nickname" is in US/Canada.

Im saying all soccer teams have the same "feeling" names except the US and Austrailia. No where else is the nickname in the official name. That's why FC Dallas, DC United and Real Salt Lake get thrown in the same "Euro" bucket.

How man Real's are there? How many year names are there in Germany? you can pair those together but they aren't like "City Name Nickname" is in US/Canada.

Im saying all soccer teams have the same "feeling" names except the US and Austrailia. No where else is the nickname in the official name. That's why FC Dallas, DC United and Real Salt Lake get thrown in the same "Euro" bucket.

I wouldn't go so far. You've still got teams like Blackburn Rovers or Bolton Wanderers. In Poland most of the teams got nicknames too (singular though), e.g. Legia Warszawa, Lech Poznan, etc. This "nickname-city name" naming convention leads to incorrect foreign team names in Polish media, e.g. Chelsea London or Arsenal London (as far as I know there is no football team with "London" officially included in the name). Germans, on the other hand, use city name predominately when reffering to a team (notable exceptions are FC Schalke and FC Bayern but technically those are locations as well). When FC Bayern met Belenenses in UEFA Cup few years ago, the team was commonly referred as Lissabon by German media.

More terrible branding by people who really don't know the market.

Considering MLS' success since going with a more European style of branding I'd they definitely know how to market.

Secondly, New York City FC? Um, how about a nickname? If you noticed, we don't take after other cities or countries. They take after us.

Really? The very name of the city takes after a city in Britain.

Frankfurt Galaxy

Wow....

Never saw that one coming.

Furthermore the name wouldnt be SO easy to rectify since the fan culture has coalesced around the ReAL name and the RSL moniker. As awful as the name is, most fans get physically ill at the idea of changing the name...I dont...but most do.

The fan culture may be attached to the name but perhaps more people in the city might be more inclined to give the team a go.

I would also guess that the current fanbase would warm up to it eventually.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

The fan culture may be attached to the name but perhaps more people in the city might be more inclined to give the team a go.

I would also guess that the current fanbase would warm up to it eventually.

So you're saying the difference between near sell-outs and sell-outs is the name?

scruffy.jpg

RSL is the only top-tier professional sports option available in Summer...they even sold well when they sucked. I think you're letting your distaste, for what I agree is an awful name, delude you into thinking it actually has some power besides mild annoyance.

The fans were upset when their opinion was ignored during the "Name-the-team" contest, but they've gotten over it.

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

Cleveland Lumberjacks.

What are we doing?

Cleve-'Jacks-ed!

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

This "nickname-city name" naming convention leads to incorrect foreign team names in Polish media, e.g. Chelsea London or Arsenal London (as far as I know there is no football team with "London" officially included in the name).

None to my knowledge either, although Chelsea considered London FC at their foundation, and more recently Leyton Orient debated becoming London Orient when they were planning a move to the Olympic Stadium.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19842112

bifcolympique_zps28a2961e.png

Archived